Price of Watermelon...in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I have heard many times that buying fresh fruit from the trucks on the highway in Los Charamicos costs less than the playero.

I was told i could buy a whole watermelon for $RD 50 but the guy with the truck said he wanted $rd150 which is the same as the cost at playero in sosua.

Anyone know the true story about what one should pay for a whole watermelon in the DR from a local not a store

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have never purchased a watermelon here that was worth even 1 peso.
Maybe I've been unlucky but they are never sweet.

Reactions: miloskorac

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
We used to have the same problem..........

........sometimes we even got ones that were WHITE inside with no sign of RED!.......

.....until someone on the road to Santiago told us the trick.........and since then, we have been loving the watermelon..........as close as we can get to the ones in the US..........even though they still have seeds........

NEVER get the good looking watermelon.........You want to get the one with the biggest WHITE/BROWN spot on it that you can.............

........that means the watermelon has stayed in the ground long enough to rippen and the biggest problem with the watermelons here is that they pick them too fast.........

..........since we have been doing that, we haven't had a "bad" one yet.....

We pay between $100RD and $150RD for them ...........and they are quite big..........at any of the road stands in the Naverette area........or around the rotary in Santiago.........

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The Fruit trucks always slice a half or a quarter melon to see how red ripe they are and I will go back and pay what ever.

Now I know the difference from the Playero

Thanks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in POP it depends on size, from about 60 pesos up. can be 150 pesos if the melon is really huge.
i normally buy ours in jose luis, they are cut so i can see if inside is nice and juicy. and anyways i am the only one eating them so i get a half or 1/4.
amazingly i have not been able to grow them buggers in our garden, i regularly plant the seeds, get the plant crawling about and then it dries and dries. wtf?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The Playero had them today for about 280 for the large ones that the truck was selling for 150 so i am going back to the truck in los charamicos.

Here i am trying to save 30 pesos.

I wish I would have done that last weekend when I bought a 40" Sony widescreen

Status
Not open for further replies.