Close Pedro Clisante to Traffic at Night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
It's been suggested by a few in another thread, http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/106388-plug-britannia-bar-sos.html, to close Pedro Clisante to automotive traffic at night.

Hmmm, closing the street... doesn't it present more problems than it fixes?

Wouldn't that present it's own problems?
  • Throw more traffic out onto the main highway as people circle looking for parking
  • Having to park a considerably long distance away.
  • Shifting some of the girls into other areas as they hawk their wares to those walking in/out of the central part of Pedro Clisante.
  • Add more possibility for crimes of opportunity as people walk further to their cars at night & cars parked in more isolated areas are more prone to burglary
  • Increase the area that needs to be policed fairly heavily

How about an alternate solution
  • After 10pm, charge for access to Pedro Clisante at Calle Duarte. 15 pesos, 20, 25, whatever.
  • Use a barracade at Camino del Libre next to the Texaco one way only out to the main highway (after 10pm) to allow for both side of street parking and exit from town
  • If there's no parking space open on Pedro Clisante or Camino del Libre, do not allow access.
2lkrzpk.jpg

Advantages?
  • Allows for parking close to bars/discos
  • Minimizes those just wanting to cruise by due to the 'entry' fee at Pedro Clisante & Camino del Libre
  • Pays for the couple of guys necessary to make the plan work

The businesses on Pedro Clisante could probably present this plan to the city & propose to manage it themselves.

What one does with moto traffic, well, there's seldom any stopping them ;)

Ok, time to shoot down my plan.
GO!

Mar 2, 2008
CFA, I think your plan is well-thought out and very workable. I also think such a plan would improve that area considerably. But unfortunately, because of its thoughtfulness practicality, I also think it is bound to fail.

Not many thoughtful and workable plans actually make it into the light of day here. It's all about making money, and about who makes that money in the quickest possible way. From what I have witnessed to date, there is not much value placed on benefiting the entire community, and even less thought given to the development of long-term solutions.

I hope I am wrong in my assumption, but I have yet to see any glimmer of community spirit or magnanimous self-sacrifice here.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Ok, let's think the Dominican way to make it more appealing... let the unsuspecting enter Pedro Clisante at Calle Duarte & only get charged when they try to exit. :smoke:

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
When they were repaving the streets they made one ways that drove people nuts; didn't know how to get to the main road. I can only imagine what this would do! And I agree, good idea, just probably won't work. Reminds me of when they tried to do daylight savings time, forget about it!

Mar 2, 2008
"Ok, let's think the Dominican way to make it more appealing... let the unsuspecting enter Pedro Clisante at Calle Duarte & only get charged when they try to exit."

CFA123

LOL. Now you're talkin' !!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Shifting some of the girls into other areas as they hawk their wares to those walking in/out of the central part of Pedro Clisante.

Brilliant Idea !! :laugh:

georgemen

Apr 1, 2002
They close Calle Duarte in Boca Chica every night at 7PM works well .The bars and resturants put chairs and tables on the street for the customers.
Also no MOTOS . They are available at the intersecting corners,

May 29, 2006
I would start by reversing the one ways on DR Rosen, Duarte and PC. This would eliminate left hand turns at stops without lights and you could turn from DR Rosen onto PC without stopping. This would move the bottleneck at the intersection of Duarte and 5 to DR Rosen and 5 where visibility is better and Rt 5 traffic is slower.

Close PC from Duarte to Camino Libre except for deliveries and motos. Make Camino Libre one way from PC to Rt 5. Where Camino Libre intersects Rt 5, put a NO LEFT TURN. So if you are coming down DR Rosen and want to go to POP, you can avoid the light at DR Rosen and 5 by diverting down PC, left onto Camino Libre, then merge right onto Rt 5 to POP without using a traffic light. This will also partially relieve the bottleneck that would be at DR Rosen and RT 5 making it faster to turn left and be westbound on 5. It would make for more traffic on PC and the Camino Libre leg during rush hour, but I think it's a good trade-off. You would still have parking by the discos, but with the turn onto Camino Libre, traffic would be slowed down. Close off PC and Camino Libre during festivals, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.