Student looking to rent...

LIZ87

Sep 7, 2010
Hello,

I am currently in the process of going to DR to study in a university. The problem is that I heard that they don't have universities that offer dormitory. I have family in Santo Domingo but not sure if I am going to decide to stay with them while I am in school.

I am not sure yet what is my budget but I am looking for a apartment that can comply with my needs. I am single and no kids so a decent apartment in a decent area is something that I am seeking. I am familiar with Santo Domingo.

What is the average price? What are the best areas to live? Any suggestions and responses are gladly appreciated.

Thank You

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Liz, seeing that you have posted twice already for BOTH looking for work and living accomodations I STRONGLY suggest you do a lot of research prior to your move to DR. Firstly, is it obligated you go study abroad or was this by choice? Secondly, I would recommend you live with your family out there are you will find out the harsh reality of living, let alone working in DR. I am sure plenty of members here in the forum will give you their opinions and fill you in on the reality of living on the island, it is not easy [even for the locals] to make a living. Being that you are a student, I am not sure finding a job will suffice to provide you with your needs [especially an apartment] but that remains to be seen.
Like I said, I suggest moving in with your family and do lots of research. Go early, in other words go as soon as you can so you can give yourself plenty of time to be able to research where you will be living, where you want to live, where you plan on finding work, how you will get around etc....you will see it is not an easy thing. Not saying it cant be done, but the odds may be against you and overwhelming.
How is your spanish? How is your english? How old are you? People here can make suggestions and maybe give you leads so be prepared to take notes :)
GOOD LUCK!

LIZ87

Sep 7, 2010
Thank You very much for your opinion.

I can definitely move with my family and that won't be a problem. I am just trying to open up mu horizons. I am going to study there by choice for the moment. I am fluent in English and Spanish. I am 23 years old.

I am just trying to establish myself when I go down there. I am doing my research as we speak so I can have everything into perspective when I go down there.

Thank You

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
well best of luck, i dont think it is something that can't be done, however, it wont be easy. I hope your family gives you lots of support in your time there so take as much help as you can get and see what works best for you.
what will you be studying by the way? have you thought about establishing connections in the US prior to moving to DR and then perhaps trying to network that way? Not too long ago i did see job postings in the US Embassy on the island. Keep your eyes open, many people here have suggested great places to look for work but see if it will work out so you can balance school and work too...

Girbaud101

Dec 16, 2010
Hey liz how did things go? I see some rime has past. I will be on the same adventure soon enough. I am still awaiting more information b4 my move. Good luck to you.