Bad Experience- be cautious!

Eyemel18

Jan 19, 2006
Hello,

If at least one person can learn from my bad experience, I will feel grateful.

I love the DR, own several properties there and even used to sell properties in Punta Cana.

A client of mine had a really bad experience with one of the developers by the name of Grupo Intercaribe. All I ask is that you do lots of research on which ever company you are going to work with.

My client sold their property for a $30,000 profit. Grupo Intercaribe did not have escrow accounts so all the money from the bank got transferred right into the developers bank account - and the KEPT IT! After several lawsuits in the States and in DR, the money has not been recovered. Not only that, Grupo Intercaribe has left numerous projects unfinished and have many unhappy clients.

I suggest the following when purchasing property in the DR

~ Do a great deal of research on the property, area, and developer/ owner.
~ Visit the city and property in person.
~ Be sure to consult your attorney and also hire one in the Dominican Republic. Referrals are key.
~ Verify the developer/owner has clear titles on the property and that your land usage rights are written in your contracts.
~ Insist on using escrow accounts when funds are being transferred. Set your own up if you need to.
~ Work only with companies that have a reputable reputation. Avoid the rest like the plague!
~ Build a strong team of people including your realtor, developer, lawyer, and banker.

Be cautious and enjoy this beautiful paradise and all of its opportunities!

Reactions: badpiece33
A friend paid a deposit for Villa Del Sol II apartment developed by the same company, until now they have not being able to reimburse him the cash. This was after they failed to disclose that financing cannot be done for a person over 65 year old. They admitted the mistake and even signed a document give them a time period (I think it was 180 days) to reimbursed the cash, it has been several years, 2 plus, since then and nobody has getting back to him.

The case is in a lawyers hand now, but Intercaribe is not a reputable business organization I would not do any type of transactions. Be careful.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
again I say

Title insurance and their escrow, title search, closing.........
Why would anyone purchase uninsured titles?

I don't get it
carib

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
can you explain escrow account is?
thanks

escrow 1) n. a form of account held by an "escrow agent" (an individual, escrow company or title company) into which is deposited the documents and funds in a transfer of real property, including the money, a mortgage or deed of trust, an existing promissory note secured by the real property, escrow "instructions" from both parties, an accounting of the funds, and other documents necessary to complete the transaction. When the funding is complete and the deed is clear, the escrow agent will then record the deed to the buyer and deliver funds to the seller. The escrow agent or officer is an independent holder and agent for both parties who receives a fee for his/her/its services. 2) n. originally escrow meant the deed held by the escrow agent. 3) n. colloquially, the escrow agent is called an "escrow," while actually the escrow is the account and not a person. 4) v. to place the documents and funds in an escrow account, as in: "we will escrow the deal."

from Escrow account legal definition of Escrow account. Escrow account synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Tropical Regards
Ian and Ellie
anpalmisl.gif