Leaving with Cash

Aug 19, 2004
This question has probably been answered before, but does anybody know how much cash in US Dollars you can take out of the Domnican Republic in person? We are German/British and will have tourist visas.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
No Limit

There is no Limit to the amount of cash one may carry leaving or entering the DR or the USA or most country's I have traveled to.

But the laws state that starting at a set amount you must report the amount you are carrying or the failure to report it is what is illegal. The DR is US$10,000.00 or its equivalent in any other currency or negotiable paper, such as a cashiers check made out to cash.

You may carry a Check for any amount even US$10,000,000.00 payable to any individual and you need not report it.

g'luck

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
And who do you report it to........?

When you are on the plane you are given a small form to fill out.
If you are carrying more than 10,000 and don't declare it, customs will confiscate all your money "IF YOU ARE SEARCHED".

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When you are on the plane you are given a small form to fill out.
If you are carrying more than 10,000 and don't declare it, customs will confiscate all your money "IF YOU ARE SEARCHED".

And if you do declare it you will also be searched. And interrogated for hours about where you got it.

Take a check as the the poster said.

Reactions: waytogo

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Or a high quality Money Order for less than that amount. American Express, Western Union, or US Post Office money orders are good as gold.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
US$10,000 per Family, in or out.

There is no limit, up to US$9,999.99 or equal you do not have to declare it, 10,000.00 you are legally bound to declare it, entering or leaving in USA to you report to customs and they will take you to fill out some forms.

Here in the DR, to leave with the sum in excess of US$10,000.00 or equiveleant you must take the form to the airport with you, it can be pickup up in the main customs office in Santo Domingo.

We are talking Cash or Cash equivelents here and if you make the declaration and, they do not beleive your explanation for why you are travelling with such a large amount of cash, they can still detain you and conficate the cash or cash equivelent.

Good Advice, for a small amount over the 10k, maybe 15k or maybe 20k, if you have to carry cash, ok go through the motions and make the declartations as per the law.

But if you plan to carry more than that I woulod highly recommend that you convert the cash into Checks of some type, not made out to "cash", but to yourself or anybody else is ok and does not need to be DECLARED.

Less than US$9,999.99 or equal in cash or freely negotiable insturments, no declaration needed, US$10,000.00 or equal in cash or freely negotiable insturments and above without any upper limit by law needs to be declared.....

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I use prepaid credit cards here and when I leave the states I put 5000. on each one. Should these be declared......like I really would.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
But if you plan to carry more than that I would highly recommend that you convert the cash into Checks of some type, not made out to "cash", but to yourself or anybody else is ok and does not need to be DECLARED.

So, I just want to be clear on this one! You say that Checks certified over $10.000 do not need to be declared...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
So, I just want to be clear on this one! You say that Checks certified over $10.000 do not need to be declared...

According to The CPB website, they should be declared, obviously you are less likely to be caught with a $100K Bank check, than a suitecase of Benjamins.

Sample Customs Declaration Form - CBP.gov
13. Mark an X in the Yes or No box. Are you or any family members traveling with you bringing $10,000 or more in U.S. dollars or foreign equivalent in any form into the United States?
Read definition of monetary instruments on the reverse side of the form.
Examples: coins, cash, personal or cashier's check, traveler's checks, money orders, stocks, bonds.
If yes, your must complete the Customs Form 4790.

Aug 19, 2004
Thanks for your responses. Could we just go to Western Union etc in Santo Domingo and send the money back to our account in the UK via a transfer?

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006

Two different animals: Exiting/Entering DR & Entering/Exiting the US

Entering the US:

Ask the US Customs(CBP)Officer upon arrival at the first US port of entry for the Currency Reporting Form (FinCen 105)- Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instruments formerly known as ?Customs Form 4790?

Or use this one: http://www.fincen.gov/forms/files/fin105_cmir.pdf

Upon declaration be prepared for a "selective" secondary search.

CBP money definition:

?Money? = Monetary Instruments-- (1) Coin or currency of the United States or of any other country, (2) traveler's checks in any form, (3) negotiable instruments (including checks,
promissory notes, and money orders) in bearer form, endorsed without restriction, made out to a fictitious payee, or otherwise in such form that title thereto passes upon
delivery, (4) incomplete instruments (including checks, promissory notes, and money orders) that are signed but on which the name of the payee has been omitted, and (5) securities or stock in bearer form or otherwise in such form that title thereto passes upon delivery.

Monetary instruments do not include (i) checks or money orders made payable to the order of a named person which have not been endorsed or which bear restrictive endorsements, (ii) warehouse receipts, or (iii) bills of lading.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I know someone that came into the US and declared about $23,000 cash. He was taken in a back room and grilled for two hours. They had to let him go with the cash as he was a legitimate businessman from out of the US that had a lot of investments in the US.

They asked him what he was going to do with the money. He told them the truth. He was going to spend it on Champagne in South Beach.

But you don't want to do this, just take checks and do not mention anything to customs, let them find it if they can. They won't.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
But you don't want to do this, just take checks and do not mention anything to customs, let them find it if they can. They won't.

"Travelers who deliberately refuse to comply with currency reporting requirements run the risk of losing their currency, and criminal charges, as this couple has learned," said Stephen Dearborn, acting port director for the Port of Baltimore. "The easiest way to hold on to your currency is to report it. It's that simple."

"The Ameens arrived at BWI on April 9, 2010. CBP officers referred the couple to a secondary inspection after the Ameens claimed they carried monetary instruments that exceeded $10,000. During a secondary inspection, the couple repeatedly claimed only $30,000 even after CBP officers offered them numerous opportunities to amend their declaration. CBP officers discovered a total of $121,600, seized the currency and then provided the Ameens with a $1,000 humanitarian release."

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
This question has probably been answered before, but does anybody know how much cash in US Dollars you can take out of the Domnican Republic in person?

Exiting DR:

Export Restrictions: The import and export of local currencies (Dominican Peso DOP) are limited to DOP 20,000 in notes and DOP 100 in coins.

Foreign currencies valued over USD $10,000 must be declared if this amount is to be re-exported. Exporting foreign currencies are free up to USD $10,000 or equivalent. Larger amounts require specific approval from the Central Bank- "Banco Central de la Rep?blica Dominicana".

Approval, from my understanding, may require payment of taxes, documentation of currency source, and verifiable reason for exportation i.e. pay for tuition overseas, etc.

However, as many posters have stated, there are many innovative ways around this. But I would rule out currency smuggling as the preferred method. My two cents.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
"Travelers who deliberately refuse to comply with currency reporting requirements run the risk of losing their currency, and criminal charges, as this couple has learned," said Stephen Dearborn, acting port director for the Port of Baltimore. "The easiest way to hold on to your currency is to report it. It's that simple."

"The Ameens arrived at BWI on April 9, 2010. CBP officers referred the couple to a secondary inspection after the Ameens claimed they carried monetary instruments that exceeded $10,000. During a secondary inspection, the couple repeatedly claimed only $30,000 even after CBP officers offered them numerous opportunities to amend their declaration. CBP officers discovered a total of $121,600, seized the currency and then provided the Ameens with a $1,000 humanitarian release."

Read my whole post again. Keep your mouth shut with customs. These did not and they paid. I would like them to find 2 or 3 checks on me if I don't want them to.

And it is rare that they will search anyone, they act on what you say and if you have a flag in your record.