Hard to find grocery items.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Like soy flour, and wheat gluten, almond flour, flax meal, where can I find things like this?

Those are not popular items not even here in the US. I do get the flax meal at certain supermarkets here in my town, but it is not found everywhere.
You can make your own wheat glutten, it is not that difficult. I once gave a demonstration (in college) about making wheat glutten. It is a good thing to know in case meat is scarse.

Almond flour? As expensive as almonds are, who can afford the flour? Who makes it?

Keep trying and keep us posted.
Norma

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
I've been to the national, they had flax seed, but it was coarse, not what I needed, everything else, I could not find.

la flaca

Aug 4, 2007
there's a little shop...

that sells all kinds of natural foods, but it's either in plaza Zona Rosa (J.P. Duarte) or Plaza El Paseo (27 de febrero, one block down from the other). Hope ya find it.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
Could you clarify a bit.

There should be a database, of all these little places and the concho routes, and with everyone having smart phones, it wouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Productos Granix do ground flax seed. It's sold in some supermarkets and health food type shops, and in their shop on the Duarte highway, a few kms south of Bonao.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
The place that sells "natural food" is called Omaha Gourmet, and it's in plaza rosa, and they had nothing of what I was looking for.

noni

Mar 30, 2009
I really doubt you will find these items in Santiago. I too searched bc my son has severe food allergies and had no success, people looked at me like I had two heads when I asked. Your best bet is the internet.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Have you checked with the 7th Day Adventists? They are vegetarians - and here in the Capital, they have a cafeteria with lots of soy and gluten products available.. I would assume that they have a presence in Santiago as well.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I think Granix belongs to the 7th Day Adventists - the shop on the Duarte Highway is near the Universidad Adventista. Their centre in the capital is just off Ave. M?ximo G?mez.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Maybe try this natural store in Santo Domingo:

Org?nica
Av G M Ricart 128, Santo Domingo
(809) 540-5742

Charliesmission

Jul 8, 2011
www.c-c-c.ws
Ground flax seeds

Couldn't you just throw some in a small electric coffee grinder? That's what I do when I need powdered sugar..

Actually, that's the only way to do it. Once the flax seeds or Chia seeds (which are even better) are ground, they start losing their effectiveness. Therefore, they should always be ground just before consuming.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
can anyone tell me how to use the flax seeds? I bought once one packet of flax seeds and it still stay in my cupboard as i do not know how to use it.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
can anyone tell me how to use the flax seeds? I bought once one packet of flax seeds and it still stay in my cupboard as i do not know how to use it.
HH , flax seed has become very common in the USA , we usually grind the seed in a coffee grinder and store in a cool dark place in plastic seal bag or the like, add to almost anything, very popular to put in breakfast cereal. just sprinkle on after grinding. I usually only grind enough for a week as the seed lasts longer than the ground portion I'm told.