What do I need to buy a car?

Redvelvet215

Sep 5, 2010
I am currently living in the united states but, I am in and out of the dominican republic and I am tired of renting a car or using a taxi. So I want to buy a car off the car lot and when I come to united states my boyfriend will take car the car for me until I come back. In the united states they look at, job history, credit report but, I notice the dominican republic is very different. So my question is what type of documents do I need to buy a car off the car lot in the dominican republic? I also want to know do they do leasing as well or do you have to give them all the money up front? I am only curious about those questions only.

Reactions: waytogo

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Money and ID

I So my question is what type of documents do I need to buy a car off the car lot in the dominican republic?
In order to make out the bill of sale you need some ID.
Make sure that the car's document (matricula) is transferred to your name by the dealer and do not pay the full price until it is done.

donP

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I am not yet living in the Dominican Republic but moving here. I have asked several people that question about a used car and they told me that I should go through a lawyer to make sure the bill of sale is recored/transferred correctly and that costs about $200 or so...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Make them work for your money.

I should go through a lawyer to make sure the bill of sale is recored/transferred correctly and that costs about $200 or so...

Every car sale should be done with a lawyer (contrato de venta y traspaso de vehiculo).
Let the dealer do that and let them pay for it.
Withold 50% of the car's price payable when the matricula is given to you in your name.
They will also get the 'marbete' and the 'revista sticker' for you...

donP

Reactions: waytogo

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I am not yet living in the Dominican Republic but moving here. I have asked several people that question about a used car and they told me that I should go through a lawyer to make sure the bill of sale is recored/transferred correctly and that costs about $200 or so...

I know you won't believe me and sorry to put in an answer you didn't ask for but in the end it is so much cheaper and worry free if you just rent a car for the time you are there.

Sorry that was directed at the original poster. I better go have some coffee now

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Guardalo mi amor....

__ in the end it is so much cheaper and worry free if you just rent a car for the time you are there.

So much the more as she mentioned that "my boyfriend will take the car for me until I come back" :cheeky:

donP

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I just sold my car and the lawyer did the paper work and it cost RD1000. I signed over the metricula, and photocopied both sides and had the buyer sign the copy...proof that I had given him the original. From there on it was up to him to put it in his name. Also the bill of sale was made so from that moment on I was not responsible for the car or anything that happened to it. I also had a photocopy of his cedula. The cost of the lawyer shouldn't be $200.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
When you own the car whoever is driving it when you are not here puts you at risk! Your car, your insurance, your problem

ALSO, if you want to know what papers you need as you will be getting a loan to buy the car - forget it. You wont get a loan till you have your cedula and have been here some time. And you will pay 24% and UP to 40% for this loan.

Do not believe for one second your boyfriend will take care of your car while you are gone.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I am currently living in the united states but, I am in and out of the dominican republic and I am tired of renting a car or using a taxi. So I want to buy a car off the car lot and when I come to united states my boyfriend will take car the car for me until I come back. In the united states they look at, job history, credit report but, I notice the dominican republic is very different. So my question is what type of documents do I need to buy a car off the car lot in the dominican republic? I also want to know do they do leasing as well or do you have to give them all the money up front? I am only curious about those questions only.

Dont even sweat it, just ask the boyfriend how much money he needs and send it Western Union.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Why don't you guys help her to do what SHE wants instead of bashing the Dominican boyfriend without knowing him at all. Somehow this BS has to stop, not every Dominican is a fu&(*^ Sankie damn it.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
In the united states they look at, job history, credit report but, I notice the dominican republic is very different. So my question is what type of documents do I need to buy a car off the car lot in the dominican republic? I also want to know do they do leasing as well or do you have to give them all the money up front? I am only curious about those questions only.

I take it you want financing options. Unless you're well established, you will not be able to get any financing. Perhaps, if your boyfriend can get credit, you might want him to buy the car with you putting the down payment. The car would have to be in his name and you could make the payments. Or, buy an older car and pay cash. Then you have options. Some of the above advice as for registration etc. is "right on"

Reactions: ExtremeR

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Transfer Trap

From there on it was up to him to put it in his name. Also the bill of sale was made so from that moment on I was not responsible for the car or anything that happened to it.
Until a new matricula is issued in the new owner's name you can be held responsible for any trouble the vehicle may cause.
A few years back I sold a car and the new owners never put the vehicle in their name. The people were not in the country most of the time and I often saw a Dominican driving the car...
I shall never ever hand a matricula to the new owner but only to MY lawyer who will do the 'traspaso' at the buyer's cost.
Check out Leyes:
492-08, 173-07 and 492-08
In one case I made a "Denuncia de Transferencia" at DGII (300.- RD$) on my lawyer's advice.

donP

Redvelvet215

Sep 5, 2010
Thank you for the ones that help me with good advice and thanks ExtremeR for having my back as for the rest of you guys.. If you actually read what I wrote you will know that my boyfriend is not asking for money nor is he asking me to buy a car. The reason why I want a car is because I spend more money every year renting a car. I do not like taxis because, I do not like to wait for a taxi and plus I want the freedom to come and go as I please. As for my boyfriend, I ask him if I leave the car with him because he is the only person that I know will keep a good eye on my car and he have a garage where I can put it.. So before you guys run your mouth read first or shut up.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010

These threads do tend to get out of hand.

Before arriving here I checked on Super Carros.com to get an idea of what I needed and the prices.
Went to the car lots in Moca. Tested lots of cars. Chose one.Negotiated, bought it cash. Paid the dealer to do the trepaso (which they did but it takes a bit of time) and insurance and drove away.
I still have it although the insurance company has changed.