validity driver licince

pas

Jun 7, 2004
how long can i drive with my foreign driver licence?
and still be covered by the insurance company?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
When Push Comes to Shove

Until you are involved in an accident... :cheeky:

On a more serious note:
It could be 30 days, whatever...
I recommend to get a Dominican license asap (which does of course not guarantee that the insurance company pays what you think they should :bunny: ).

donP

pas

Jun 7, 2004
how do i get a dominican driver license then..??
i do not have a residenti

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Residencia First?

Is there any reason not to get the 'residencia'?

But it's true, there a people who suggest to cross the border to Haiti just to have another period of 'legal driving' here (I remember to have read posts about this here somewhere...).

donP

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

no residency,
no cedula
no legal driving
no coverage of any insurance
no legal Immigrations status

illegal immigrants have no legal right's other than the one to get put on a Plane homewards, after some months of waiting time at Immigration's Hertbrake Hotel of course.

any reason to stay here illegally?

cheers
Mike

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

Think your good for 90 days, but hope someone else chimes in.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Puhleez.... covered 100 times here... ad infinitum

Do not overstay on the license.....I believe 90 days - cars need to be renewed at 90 days

No matter what, insurance will be a hassle

RD drivers licence?
Need cedula, then go for VIP in POP treatment which calls for no Espanol or road test ( fully documented previously)

FOR EMERGENCIES
Carry several 500 or 1000 peso notes... use carefully and walk away...... remember to smile :cheeky:

WW

Reactions: rice&beans

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you are a citizen of the European Union you do not need to take a driving test if you have a cedula etc. Normally your Embassy will authenticate your license and this is enough to get a DR license.

See the many, many threads on this subject.
Use the search function, it's your friend.

pas

Jun 7, 2004
ok...thats what i thoughd 3 months ...

thats good becuase i will be only here for 2 months at the time..

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ok...thats what i thoughd 3 months ...

thats good becuase i will be only here for 2 months at the time..

that's for your drivers license,
but check each specific vehicle's specific insurance policy, because they do not depend only on the speech of a passport stamp, there are some very different policies out there, depending what you drive and where it is insured.
Mike

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
some times pays to be bored.

having gone through all my reading material and being desperate. I was perusing my Manual de Conduccion that I received when I obtained my drivers license here.

This manual is part of the documentation received from Direccion General De Transito Terrestre, so am assuming that it contains the correct information(yea I know bad to Assume)

There has been much discussion of the validity of international licenses before. So from Page 12 Permiso Internacional de conducir.

Este documento facilita a su beneficiario a conducir automotores en cualquier pais signatario de las convenciones internacionales celebradas en Ginebra ante la ONU y OEA en1949, excepto en el pais de origen. Tiene una validez de 1 a?o, es un documento de identificacon personal valido en todo el mundo
los requisitos son:
Cedula de identidad
Licencia de conducir vigente
Dos Fotos

And google does a great job again

This document provides the recipient to drive vehicles in any country signatory to international conventions in Geneva at the UN and OAS in 1949, except in the country of origin. It is valid for 1 year, is a valid personal customer ID document in the world
the requirements are:
Identity card
Valid driver's license
Two Photos

Now this does not reference Insurance, but seems worth checking out! If it valid to use for 1 year, then should be valid for insurance purposes

I was really looking for written information on the legality of "left turn on red" from a 1 way street to a 1 way street running to your left, also for right turn on red, Both of which I was told by DGTT are legal, but they agreed that AMET does not know the traffic laws, So am trying to find some where it is written down.

Last edited:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
left Turn on Red is the common Rule, but I could not say where it is written, but it is the common Rule practized everywhere here, even in front of AMET, so that seems to be a Rule known by AMET, too, lol.
I never heard about a Rule that allows Left Turns on Red on any kinda Roads.
Mike

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Left or Right?

left Turn on Red is the common Rule, but I could not say where it is written, but it is the common Rule practized everywhere here, even in front of AMET, so that seems to be a Rule known by AMET, too, lol

Make that a right turn on a red light and you are right.

Do AMET know left from right? :cheeky:

donP