Metro back in the news - debts!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Construction on the second line has nearly come to a halt due to the accumulation of RD$2.8 billion in government debt arrears to 400 suppliers and construction companies. According to Hoy reporters who consulted several of the contractors, the civil engineering work done so far has cost about RD$3.6 billion, but the contractors have only received RD$1.2 billion.

Enough said!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Construction on the second line has nearly come to a halt due to the accumulation of RD$2.8 billion in government debt arrears to 400 suppliers and construction companies. According to Hoy reporters who consulted several of the contractors, the civil engineering work done so far has cost about RD$3.6 billion, but the contractors have only received RD$1.2 billion.

Enough said!

Another DR inevitable failure. How could this country begin to think they could fund such a project-now will sit another skeleton to drive around obstructing traffic for years to come.
Far too many thiefs in government to believe that this metro had a chance, they have far more important things to spend money on.New Jeepetas!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I heard from a good source:

Ghost of Spin Masters said:
The reason is simple. Enginers told the Group of Important Dominican Families that a rare phenomenom under Santo Domingo was discovered: areas that are immune not only from gravity, but the Second Law oif Thermodynamics. So the extra costs are from reengineering the Metro so the cars will be magnetically stuck to the tracks...and, at the same time, generate 16 gigawatts of power that will allow free 24/7 electrical service for all Dominicans.

This is all planned and expected.

;):D

Reactions: MikeFisher

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
[QUOTE allow free 24/7 electrical service for all Dominicans.
;):D[/QUOTE]

Awh this explains why my electricity bill has jumped from 2000 to 8000p.

Reactions: MikeFisher

principe

Nov 19, 2002
- -

The resident spin masters are probably not going to chime in. The facts pretty much speak for themselves no?

As people with an interest in the well being of the country this is bad news for everyone. So its not gloating, however some on these board prefer to see the glass 3/4 full, when it isnt even halfway.

Aside from the Metro, you will also hear how the drug trade hasnt penetrated the Dominican economy, another 3/4 view

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
Great, now we are going to have unfinished holes under main avenues, this is just getting better and better.
I wonder why the 200 k users of line 1 can not pay for line 2 ?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
An unfinished Metro and all those new malls in the center of the City. Great planning.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
we definetely need some higher explanations from a greater mind :ermm:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
How about a Poll?

Although - just to play devil's advocate -
In the UK when they first tried to install cable down every street it ran something like this -

The first company raised cash, dug up the street, installed some cable and went bust.
The next company bought the first company for "cents on the dollar", finished the job, had a few subscribers then went tits up.
The third round of companies picked up the pieces for next to nothing and had a going concern.

You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs.

Lets us all meet here a year from now before we start taking the p!ss out of this.

Although it is particularly delicious to gloat!

Last edited:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Where is Pichardo???

Where is the resident Cheerleader??????????

I'm sure all of this is just a reporters mistake, and they did not understand the dynamics of what they were writing! I mean after all they are just reporters. They also don't understand the finer points of international finance, and the engineering aspects of the situation.

Once the spin doctor signs in I'm sure we will be made to understand the fallacy of what has been reported. It's all good, and will be privately paid for, it's not costing the government anything, thats just a line with those that are not satisfied with the progress of the country.

Now for another Santa Libre. :bunny:

Aug 19, 2004
This is bad news - hope there is an opportunity to review the costs of this project and find more sustainable cost effective solutions.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
I wonder how the Santo Domingo - Santiago AVE bullet train is doing. Did they start that also ?

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Competitiveness

The supporters of the project do have broader points about transportation being one of the key aspects of an economy. It is true that efficiencies in transportation do impact productivity as a whole.

The nugget of discord is that to increase competitiveness in such a poor nation; is a subway the best way to go about it? Especially at the tune of US$20 million a month, in the face of so many other priorities.

If we invested half of that annually, lets say US$120 million in R&D funding of our universities, what would be the impact to competitiveness. Or if we found cheaper transportation alternatives, that could spare precious limited funds?

It is complicated overall, but what is not complicated to see is that DR's priorities appear to be out of touch.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
What about we just fix the traffic light system, give it good maintenance, place amet agents in key places, give omsa a few more buses with a/c, clean the "bottleneck" places in main avenues and see what will happen.

How much millions us we need to do that ?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
have no fear. last week arnold schwarzeneger (spelling)? governor of california was in china looking for money and a way to improve the trains in his state, which is deeper in debt than the DR.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

Enough said!

so where's the problem??
this is here as usual as breathing the Air.
We are on The Island,
it is simply named "Fiao",
ha ha ha
forget the Metro,
I will stick to my Fishmobile
Mike