Immunizations/Malaria???

deadmanwalking

Sep 13, 2010
Hello all,
We will be traveling from the US to the DR next week, and were wondering if we should really take any anti-malaria medications. I have read differing thoughts. We will be staying at a resort in Punta Cana, and will probably stay at the resort the entire week, except for maybe one day for a tour. We would prefer not to have to take anything, but don't want to take any chances either. Any thoughts???

Buster1

Mar 25, 2009
From what i heard you need malaria pills anywhere on the caribbean side on the north coast near puerto plata you are ok

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Anti-malarials are prophylactic, not immunisations - I believe there is a difference. In any case there is no risk of malaria here. Do ensure you protect against mosquito bites generally because dengue - another mosquito-borne disease - is a risk in the DR. Bring good repellent and light coloured clothing, long trousers for the evenings. Dusk is the prime time for mozzie attacks!

Reactions: waytogo

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
It depends on where you're staying too. I didn't find them necessary when I travelled because I used repellant at night. When I stayed in Costambar/Cofembar there were little or no mosquitos but staying at an AI in Playa Dorada, on the golf course ...we were covered in bites and they were worst at night when we were sitting in the restaurant for dinner right on top of the water feature.