Classic car restoration here in the DR

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I thought I would share these pics with you all.

It is a 1992 Porsche 968 convertible. My sources tell me it's the only one in the DR. They are very rare anyway as they were only made for three years, filling in the gap between the 944 and the Boxster.

My Dad and I rescued it from a DR1 member in Jarabacoa. He didn't have the resources to lavish any attention on it and his mechanic lacked the necessary mechanical sympathy needed with cars like this.

The project took almost a year. Spare parts were procured from the US and UK.

Both my Dad and I are engineers by trade and this project was fairly easy, because one thing that we didn't have to deal with was rust. Most Porsches are galvanised. However the electrics were a real challenge as you can see from the pics. Absolutely nothing worked. But with the magic of internet we were able to get all the manuals and completely re-wire it to Porsche's original spec.

Now it's finished. And it's a blast!

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Nice.:bunny::bunny:

How much was the total project if you dont mind me asking?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Very nice! ^5!

if you're looking for another project, I know of a DeLorean in Jarabacoa that might be available...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Nice.:bunny::bunny:

How much was the total project if you dont mind me asking?

A lot!

Most of the expense was shipping the parts with EPS. Although I was able to bring back the new hood, rear seats and carpets in my luggage when I visited the UK. The handy thing about working for an airline!

Reactions: Bronxboy

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
How have you been managing the cleaning and coating of parts. I've been trying to find someone that can sand blast and galvanize and/or powder coat without success.
I do some restoration also and i can manage almost all aspects but the wire brush and sandpaper cleaning and the bad painters is killing me.

Nice job on the Porsche :) !

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
How have you been managing the cleaning and coating of parts. I've been trying to find someone that can sand blast and galvanize and/or powder coat without success.
I do some restoration also and i can manage almost all aspects but the wire brush and sandpaper cleaning and the bad painters is killing me.

Nice job on the Porsche :) !
I've often wondered if there is a market for a legitimate blasting/ceramic coating/powder coating/chrome plating shop in the DR.

It's a dirty business, though. Nasty chemicals and by products...

Any thoughts?

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
What did you do to my car? jajaja. It looks great!!!! You and your Dad really know what you are doing when it comes to restoring a car. Thanks for doing such a great Job!!! When are you going to let me take it for a test drive??? I had a lot of fun with that car.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Beeza,

Excellent work! Did you have to do any work on the engine, beside maintenance?
I could have help you with wiring diagrams and perhaps with part source :)
I have a 928 project car here, but her body is in very good shape, it's mainly engine work and clutch parts... maybe more after checking it throughly.
Are you reside in Santiago?

The Hun

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Did the car pass the inspection in the first chance??? just kidding... in Dr you don't have to deal with all those emissions rules, as well as the car crank you are good to go.
I think that 99% of cars in Dominican Republic are running with the MIL on.

haha

JJ

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
I've often wondered if there is a market for a legitimate blasting/ceramic coating/powder coating/chrome plating shop in the DR.

It's a dirty business, though. Nasty chemicals and by products...

Any thoughts?

There are more people doing stuff with vehicles than you think. If you get the word spreaded and can get organized to send parts with Metro buses, you could get a decent amount of work. We could use a workshop to do regular sand blasting to small and big parts, media blasting eventually for aluminium body parts, powder coating even if it's 6 basic colors, ceramic coating for manifolds and why not a quality tig welding service and ss tube bending to do some ss exhausts.

I have to stop dreaming :knockedou

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
There are more people doing stuff with vehicles than you think. If you get the word spreaded and can get organized to send parts with Metro buses, you could get a decent amount of work. We could use a workshop to do regular sand blasting to small and big parts, media blasting eventually for aluminium body parts, powder coating even if it's 6 basic colors, ceramic coating for manifolds and why not a quality tig welding service and ss tube bending to do some ss exhausts.

I have to stop dreaming :knockedou
No, it's not a dream!!! I know technicians in Santiago they do everything you mention.
"Cromados y niquelados del Cibao CxA" will coat any part from gold to silver or what ever color you want and there are lot of "talleres industriales" where you can perform any exhaust or intake manifold....

JJ

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
No, it's not a dream!!! I know technicians in Santiago they do everything you mention.
"Cromados y niquelados del Cibao CxA" will coat any part from gold to silver or what ever color you want and there are lot of "talleres industriales" where you can perform any exhaust or intake manifold....

JJ
Real quality media blasting, ceramic and powder coating in actual big industrial ovens?

How about chrome plating?

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Real quality media blasting, ceramic and powder coating in actual big industrial ovens?

Here in the Houston area a big market for blasting and powder coating is refinishing high end patio furniture.
We had ours done last fall. $850 for seven pieces picked up and delivered.
Perhaps that is a DR market as well.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Here in the Houston area a big market for blasting and powder coating is refinishing high end patio furniture.
We had ours done last fall. $850 for seven pieces picked up and delivered.
Perhaps that is a DR market as well.
The quality stuff is very expensive. A TON of energy-electricity and gas-is used in the process. When my handle was created back in '97, it cost $125 to have a pair of shorty headers blasted and Jet Hot coated.

You need an oven at least 20l'x8'wx7'h to be able to do frames, larger pieces or hang large quantities. That oven needs at least 9" of refractory insulation and refractory bricks and hardened refractory cement on the floor. The cure temperatures alone is around 650f. That's a LOT of BTU's. I'm pretty sure that exceeds Edenorte's 700kw barrier...:cheeky:

JFD

Feb 10, 2010

Sand blasting ? even on a large pieces ?
Powder coating ?
Quality tig welding ?
Ceramic coating ?

Check because i really don't think so.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010

Some do a low quality chrome plating already.
I hope we could get hot dipped galvanizing !

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Sand blasting ? even on a large pieces ?
Powder coating ?
Quality tig welding ?
Ceramic coating ?

Check because i really don't think so.

Well, I saw a couple good jobs this people did for some of my friends in the past. If you want check it out your self they are located in Santiago next to "SADOSA" this is the big toilet seats factory on Carretera Santiago / Navarrete.
Pavonado de armas de fuego, this is their specialty...

JJ