Best US Business Schools for Dominicans

Gordon Gekko

Nov 2, 2005
Surprisingly on point. I would have expected this issue to be selling some crappy business schools from the South trying to capitalize on the shifts in demographics and the general information asymmetry harming prospective Latino applicants.

In essence, the best business schools for Dominicans/Latinos are just the best business schools overall. I would tweak this ranking a bit based on personal experience, but it's largely correct. Good find!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
With the exception of the top tier "legacy" biz schools, I'm not so sure it makes a whole lot of difference ~where~ one goes, but ~how~ one applies himself while there and ~what~ he does when he gets out.

Additionally, with the above exceptions noted geography play a big role. A NYU grad will be at a disadvantage to a firm dominated by, say, U of FL grads...and vice versa at the entry level.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Damnit!

Fordham only ranked 25th in the Executive MBA category!! We need to move UP!!

Gordon Gekko

Nov 2, 2005
With the exception of the top tier "legacy" biz schools, I'm not so sure it makes a whole lot of difference ~where~ one goes, but ~how~ one applies himself while there and ~what~ he does when he gets out.

Additionally, with the above exceptions noted geography play a big role. A NYU grad will be at a disadvantage to a firm dominated by, say, U of FL grads...and vice versa at the entry level.

I attended one of the schools that you denominate as "legacy" schools and I'm, by and large, in agreement with what you say.

However, I would change the relationship of the factors that you name. Outside of the "top 20" or so, what you do after school is largely a function of the school that you attend. This is generally because the Career Development/Management Centers of the schools rely on perceived prestige of the institution and alumni connections to source opportunities for students. Not quite different from what CMC's at the top schools leverage.

Aside from that, some schools are better recognized for some niche specialty that differentiates it from the pack.

By the way, I highly doubt that a Stern (NYU) student competes with a U of FL student for a position. More so because Stern is a Finance powerhouse and that "prestige" has carried out to other adjacent areas (think corporate development, planning, etc) and Stern students are the most intense (often annoyingly so) people I have ever met.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mba

Being an MBA myself - I hope I can say this without being shot.

Legacy or no...... the old saying

" You can certainly tell an MBA...... you just can't tell them much"

still stands.

I agree with CB.... they are all preaching from the same pulpit for the most part.

Certain schools have certain specialties/niches... but overall, they teach an approach to problem solving.
How that is applied in practice is the key.

WW
Univ of Western Ontario BA '69 ..MBA- '73

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Aren't the schools ranked to a large degree by the amount of PHDs on staff. The more with published books...etc the higher the ranking.

E

engineerfg

where did Carlos Slim, Bill Gates, Richard Branson, and Larry Ellison get their MBA's? I wanna study there!

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Keep away from business schools - quick way to pile up debts and end up broke.
Gates, Branson dropped out of college.
Yanandu

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
Hey Geico

I attended one of the schools that you denominate as "legacy" schools and I'm, by and large, in agreement with what you say.

However, I would change the relationship of the factors that you name. Outside of the "top 20" or so, what you do after school is largely a function of the school that you attend. This is generally because the Career Development/Management Centers of the schools rely on perceived prestige of the institution and alumni connections to source opportunities for students. Not quite different from what CMC's at the top schools leverage.

Aside from that, some schools are better recognized for some niche specialty that differentiates it from the pack.

By the way, I highly doubt that a Stern (NYU) student competes with a U of FL student for a position. More so because Stern is a Finance powerhouse and that "prestige" has carried out to other adjacent areas (think corporate development, planning, etc) and Stern students are the most intense (often annoyingly so) people I have ever met.

I guess you must not know many Stern alumni. Being a Stern MBA, one of the reasons I chose the program was because people were down to earth, unlike many of those from "legacy" B-schools. The handle you use just proves my point.

At the end of the day, the effort put into any educational program dictates success. Still, there is definitely a strong positive correlation between the prestige/caliber of the institution one attends and the attractiveness of opportunities that become available.