Any organizations to help stray dogs on the North Coast?

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
I fell in love with so many of those sweet stray dogs in Cabarete. Unlike any other strays I've seen, they were quite spoiled and fat and picky about what food they'll eat. Even my dog will gobble up bread, and I laughed and laughed at those spoiled strays turning their nose up at anything but meat.

However, it's pretty obvious that pet overpopulation is a problem on the North Coast, not sure about the rest of the DR but it's probably similar. I'd love to help some of those dogs get spayed/neutered, vaccinated, and treated for their fleas. I heard the Dominican government had a program to round up the stray animals and have them fixed to cut down on their numbers, but then I also heard that program was discontinued/never heard from again. Any truth to any of this? I heard there's a nice vet in Sosua who does low-cost or free care for the strays. Fact or fiction?

Thanks for any info you can give me. I'd like to move to the DR next year for an extended volunteer stint, and I'd like to help the doggies as well as the kids.

PS-This forum is my favorite on DR1. Thanks for all you do to help those less fortunate. It's truly inspiring

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
It should certainly happen to day (you to come I mean) because Judy, the lady done the work almost ten years now has got tired and is about to leave it, because lack of any support of municipal or goverment it turns all over these few volunteers and lack of funds make it too hard to continue.
That is shame because the work they have done is so valuable and desperately needed.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
It should certainly happen to day (you to come I mean) because Judy, the lady done the work almost ten years now has got tired and is about to leave it, because lack of any support of municipal or goverment it turns all over these few volunteers and lack of funds make it too hard to continue.
That is shame because the work they have done is so valuable and desperately needed.

That's the saddest thing I've heard in so long. Is there anything I can do? I can't come back to volunteer right away, sadly...I wish I would have thought about this before I left for my DR vacation. My boyfriend and I would have loved to help.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

This statement seriously concerns me - are you certain of facts and from what source did you obtain this information as I am sure there are many interested parties?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
As far as I know, Judy and AAAS are still hard at work. I was at Judy's and talked with her 3 or 4 times in the last week or so. She is just about overwhelmed with new dogs, cats, puppies and kittens but stays with it. Other people, some new, around and helping.

I think that a new group arrived yesterday and they are setting up a clinic at the Charamicos Fire Station. I'm waiting for direction to help transport. Another couple arrives next week, staying with me, that will be working with Judy so if something has changed she would let me know. She also has several Vets lined up in the coming months.

Judy also commented that the thrift store in Sosua was doing well and has helped very much. Nice job people.

As I write this, my wife is calling her.... Judy has changed her message saying that they are closed for the next couple of days since they are in Charamicos.

All appears all is well with Judy and AAAS. So feel free to help and/or donate.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Thank you for that clarification, Ringo. As I am still out of the country, I was unable to check for myself but have indeed sent a message to Judy and Jeanette who may also choose to respond as I have sent them a link to this thread.

I would hate to see any damage done to Asociacin De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sosa, Inc. due to mis-information being fed to people.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Judy and AAAS ARE doing Fine.

Judy called back and talked with my wife for some time. Very excited about how the clinic in Charamicos is going. The team from Wisconsin with 4 Vets and 6 techs spayed/neutered 29 dogs today. These and others animals also received vaccinations and other treatments as needed. So it was a very good day.

Judy also said that the Fire Fighters and many others in the community gave wonderful support and help.

As for Judy closing? NO!

Just about every Vet that comes to the DR to help brings needed medications and drugs. It is a very involved process to make sure everything is in order and cleared with all the paperwork done in advance. It seldom goes smoothly and someone always makes it difficult and Judy has to do sort it out. I would guess that for just about anyone that has lived here for some time and has things brought in has had the same experience. Now think about the items being medical and drugs. This is part of the very frustrating part of living here, never ends and is seldom easy.

Someone that was with Judy (??) heard her say things out of frustration. It is not important who or why and we now have some understanding of the facts and situation. Things that many of us have said ourselves during same type of events. We vent and then move on as Judy has done; yet again.

The group and volunteers will be having dinner on Monday night at the El Choco restaurant for those that wish to stop by.

Thanks WB and others for your concern and support of Judy and AAAS.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you a million times. I have already contacted her. Organizations like this really give me hope. Sorry to sound like a douche.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Ringo is right. Judy is still going strong. Organising the transport, food, moving of equipment etc. to the fire stations for the vets, was very stressful for her. I stepped in to help and organised some of the transport from the airport to the hotel, then the following 2 days, collection from the hotel to the fire station and food for all concerned at a new restaurant in Charamicos (which is spotless and very well run and prices are very cheap - big discount for the Vets and helpers.) The Fire Chief was brilliant and so were his staff. It was so touching to see so many animals being helped. They will continue tomorrow and as they managed to finish earlier than first thought today, they may not have to work on Sunday. Hopefully they will be able to relax for a couple of days before they leave on Tuesday.

Judy will catch up with some things before she leaves for a well earned and much needed break. She is one very special lady for sure.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
what about Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob still has his vet clinic next the Judys, AAAS. Though Judy is very knowledgable, she is not a Vet and she calls on Dr. Bob when needed.

When my animals have a problem, I first go to Dr. Bob and pay for his services. If Dr. Bob is not available and it is an emergency, I go to Judy and donate for her services.

Judy is a non-profit that provides much needed animal care. That care then helps the communities and people. Asociacin De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sosa, Inc.

Dr. Bob is in business and charges as he should. Dr. Bob is a very good vet and a good person. How much he charges for what he provides is amazing low.