Best restaurants in pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009

which are currently considered to be the best restaurants in POP, especially the ones strong in local cuisine?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am not sure what do you qualify as local cuisine. best restaurants in POP serve what i would call international dishes but they do have side orders of, say, tostones or yuka.

the best restaurants is the one in casa colonial but it is very expensive. other good places are, in no particular order:
las palmas on luis ginebra, their seafood soup is just great.
la tarrapa, close to the malecon has great pizzas
la parillada on the roundabout has a grat choice of grilled meats
stefy and nataly on the way to cofresi has fantastic pizzas and variety of italian dishes
sole mio in costambar, again good pizzas
taste on luis ginebra serves sushi at good prices and has great meat and fish dishes
kilometro zero, opposite taste has basic menu of fish and meat
su****o also known under some other name that escapes my memory now, close to tropical has sushi, of course and good tacos

but for more typical dominican food you can drop by dona gloria, one of the little houses on the malecon, she has nice burgers, chimis and so on.
further down the malecon, close to la sirena, there is a lady who sells empanadas from the balcony of her house, really nice! i am a big fan of empanadas :)

oh, i see that the system deleted the name of the last restaurant :) small sushi, in other words :)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
El Manguito for Dominican cuisine. Just past Playa Dorada on your right going towards PP.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
service is really bad in manguito. food is ok. prices ok.
not the best restaurant but decent enough to try.

surferboy

Jul 24, 2009
thanks for the suggestions.
where is casa colonial located and is that also the name of the restaurant there?
for dinner what would you expect to pay approx. per person?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
casa colonial is a boutique hotel in playa dorada, restaurant is also called casa colonial. main course is about 1000 pesos, starters 500. a meal for two, without alcohol, will be about 3500 pesos. it is possibly the most expensive place in POP but atmosphere, food and service are really fantastic. if you need a birthday treat this is a great place. other than that any of the other places o mentioned are just fine.
and the only one with dominican dominican cuisine is, really, manguito.

Status
Not open for further replies.