4 wheel drive for Samana?

jjk

Sep 21, 2010
Hi all,

I am heading to Samana Peninsula in a couple of weeks...our plan is to rent a car in Santo Domingo, drive up there, and spend a few days exploring that area (beaches, jungle, waterfall, villages, etc.) Do we NEED a four wheel drive? The cost adds up to quite a bit more if we get a four wheel drive, so if a regular midsize or other is sufficient, that would be great. I have read conflicting reports on this issue. Also, if it matters, we will be driving from Samana to Punta Cana to drop off the car.

Any other suggestions for "must-sees" in Samana or nearby is appreciated.

Best

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Why A Quad?

Rent a SUV, preferably 4x4 and you'll be off fine and not have double expenditure.
donP

Reactions: SantiagoDR

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Go for a small 4x4, you'll be happier in the end, please let us know how your trip was...

Enjoy !!

LT

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Any other suggestions for "must-sees" in Samana or nearby is appreciated.

Playa Rincon (drive up to Las Galeras from Samana and take the boat]; the waterfalls at El Limon (take a horse ride up the mountain) and have lunch at one of the fabulous Dominican restaurants along the road; Playa Coson in Las Terranas or any of the fabulous beaches there; French pastry in Las Terranas. Once you have visited Samana Peninsula you will be hooked! Enjoy!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Once you have visited Samana Peninsula you will be hooked! Enjoy!

I agree !

My first time there I met a German expat who told me that the Peninsula was addictive. I laughed it off at the time. Next thing you know, I was back 5 months later for a month stay. :)

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
No need to get a 4 x 4 if you take local tours...

A trip to El limon requires a hard ass (you'll be sitting on donkeys)
A trip to playa rincon can be done from one of the villages (pref from Las Galeras; take a trike excusrion)
A trip to caya levantao caqn be taken by boat

This way you save on the rent of 4 x 4 and can still enjoy the peninsula

PapaGG

May 31, 2010
4x4

My suggestion.

I was in Samana about 3 1/2 weeks ago. We drove from Sosua in a Honda CRV front wheel drive. You can easily get to Samana with a car. If you want to drive to Playa Ricon, you will need a vehicle with high clearance... again we did it with a front wheel drive CRV, however, if it had rained we would have been stuck!!!

The tours that go there simply don't give you enough time... the place is beautiful. You can buy food from local vendor right on the beach and you'll want to stay and enjoy the surf and then cool off in the fresh water river that runs 200 meters behind the beach.

We spent 5 hours there and I would have liked to stay.

Heads up... the tours came down; one in a bus, they spent about 15 minutes there before leaving, the other was a quad tour, they stayed 1/2 hour and then left.

You will want to try the food... it's simply amazing!!!

Pay the extra few dollars and rent a 4x4 (small one) enjoy the drive to Samana.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
A trip to El limon requires a hard ass (you'll be sitting on donkeys)

You were taken my friend. Although the trip is no easy task, the mode of transportation is horses, not donkies.