Immigration Canada - Sponsorship from the DR

angelsinthenight

Sep 20, 2010
Hi just wondering if anyone has any more recent timelines regarding resident visas. Or any advice for me. I am married to a Dominican, married in March of 2009. We have 3 kids, 2 of them are his children. We have been living in the DR for the last few years and have just recently decided we want to move to Canada.. Have started filling out the papers but have not submitted anything yet. Does anyone have a similar situation to this. Does anyone know if I can stay here right up until he gets the residency and then we can move to Canada together. Considering there are 3 children involved I just find it to be ridiculous if they made me move back to Canada first and then had him come later and if that is the case how much time do I have to be in Canada alone before he can come?

Any recent time lines Please
THank you
Anyone know if it is better or worse now that the process is being done here in Santo DOmingo because of the earthquake no longer processing the applications in Haiti

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Hi Angel,

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the "Uncompleted Timelines" for those that are currently waiting for their spouses PR visa.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/visas/96774-uncompleted-timeline-canadian-page-ranking-while-process.html

If you scroll down to the bottom of the first post you will see those that are the most recently "In Process".

Things have been moving more quickly since processing started in Haiti. They are still working on applications that were submitted last summer but definitely making up for some of the lost time.

You can definitely apply while living outside of Canada.

Here is what the CIC sponsorship guide says about residing outside of Canada and being elegible to sponsor your spouse:

"Sponsors not residing in Canada must provide evidence that they reside exclusively outside Canada on the date of giving the undertaking and will reside in Canada at the time their sponsored spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner and/or children become permanent residents of Canada.

Evidence that they will reside in Canada may include one or more of the following:

◦letter from an employer;

◦letter of acceptance to a Canadian educational institution;

◦proof of having rented/bought a dwelling in Canada;

◦reasonable plans for re-establishing in Canada or severing ties to the other country."

Link:

Guide 3900 - Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child living outside Canada

Good Luck!
Sangria