Internet Service & Power In Santiago

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
Hey everyone I am interested in internet speeds in santiago? Also does it have the same frequent power outages that occur in santo domingo and on the north coast.

I was initially going to go back to cabarete and rent another apt but due to the internet speeds mainly and power outages it will not allow me to run my business successfully.

I also searched the forums but did not see anything specifically about Santiago internet services.

So any input from Hillbilly, AZB or anyone else that lives in Santiago would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I spend quite a bit of time in both places and would say the internet speeds are more or less equal. you have more options in Santiago though. As for the electricity, Santiago does have power cuts, but seems to be about 2 or 3 times a week for several hours in my neighborhood, and another Ive stayed in...Ive heard there are a few neighborhoods with "24/7" power and for sure there are some areas with more frequent black outs than here.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
I spend quite a bit of time in both places and would say the internet speeds are more or less equal. you have more options in Santiago though. As for the electricity, Santiago does have power cuts, but seems to be about 2 or 3 times a week for several hours in my neighborhood, and another Ive stayed in...Ive heard there are a few neighborhoods with "24/7" power and for sure there are some areas with more frequent black outs than here.

DavidZ thank you for the reply, the neighborhoods with 24/7 power do you recall any names of those areas? Also recommend any areas ?

Thank you again.

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
Last time I was there the power cuts were for no more the 45 minutes to an hour a day, and the Apartment i stayed in had a generator witch would turn on automatically if I remember correctly the areas was called Los Jardines, very nice clean quiet area.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
That's where i am, and for sure its one of the nicer areas in Santiago. I dont know which areas have no power cuts but I would assume it would be the more upscale neighborhoods like La Trinitaria, Los Cerros de Gurabo, etc. I spent several months in an area that was supposed to be 24/7 since it was very high end and "on the same power grid" as HOMS...but that was BS...power (and water) went out regularly...

I wouldn't make my choice between Santiago and the North Coast based on Electricity and Internet speed....Id choose on lifestyle as they are 180 degrees apart...and power and bandwidth can be dealt with in either location.

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
Definitely a different life style, i went to some bar called fogon not sure if the spelling is right and i had one flip flops and shorts and ,man did i feel out of place lol everyone was all dressed up long sleep shirts, shoes i guess i forgot there was no beach around, but then by half a bottle i felt right at home
ha-ha!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The internet I have here is 750 down and 250 up and it's great and consistent. It's good enough to use an internet phone and play xbox360 online.

As far as the power goes, it comes and goes but we never notice it as I have a criollo 3.6 inverter with 8 "reds".

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
By the way how much does high speed internet cost in the DR? 'll be moving there soon.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Fog?n is over in La Loter?a, it is a student hang out!! And not for shorts and flip flops.. No girls for you and you and you!!!

HEHEHE

HB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The internet I have here is 750 down and 250 up and it's great and consistent. It's good enough to use an internet phone and play xbox360 online.

As far as the power goes, it comes and goes but we never notice it as I have a criollo 3.6 inverter with 8 "reds".
Chip have you checked your Internet speed lately?

I pay for that same service and the speed is at least twice that now for several months.
Claro doubled the speed a few months ago and kept the price the same.

Like right now I am getting:

SantiagoDR

SNH

Jul 24, 2010

I pay for that same service and the speed is at least twice that now for several months.

SantiagoDR

You mention Claro are you using the wireless broadband service or do they have home service also? I notice most people recommend codetel dsl for home service.

Se?or_Jimenez

Mar 2, 2006

SantiagoDR

Santiago, is the service consistent? Lets say a Guy like me Im mostly on Google and 4 of my web based software so not much downloading at all except pictures when a client sends massive photo files for uploading. I've used Codetel about 3 years ago so I guess they improved significantly??

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
In simple terms: There are no real neighborhood which have 24/7 electric. Some of the same area will have power cuts from time to time. I live in an area (paraiso) and we have like 30 mins power cut / day and often times, non at all. Some times we have 3 cuts / day but only a few minutes long. I don't care for them as I also have a locally made inverter with only 2 batteries. If you are using a desktop pc then make sure you modify your power supply inside the unit to have bigger electrolytic capacitors installed to prevent pc from shutting down the moment power switches from street lights to inverter.
I use codetel dsl flash and I get steady 1.5+ meg download and 256kbps upload. I had trouble with dsl going down but when codetel changed my internet cable from street poll to my home, now I am all set. So get a faster speed internet connection and get a power inverter installed. Now you will be trouble free for a long time.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I called Codetel and asked why I was not getting the 1.5 Mbs that was promised. They said that they would fix it. Today they called and said it was fixed. I checked at Don/s place and got like .56 Mb/s, but I did a small download and got like 100 or 1.0 Mb/s....still it is better than before but not lightning fast...

Oh well, I don;t do a lot of downloading anyway..just docs...no videos...except what I watch on YouTube...I can prolly live with this for a while.

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I called Codetel and asked why I was not getting the 1.5 Mbs that was promised. They said that they would fix it. Today they called and said it was fixed. I checked at Don/s place and got like .56 Mb/s, but I did a small download and got like 100 or 1.0 Mb/s....still it is better than before but not lightning fast...

Oh well, I don;t do a lot of downloading anyway..just docs...no videos...except what I watch on YouTube...I can prolly live with this for a while.

HB

is your router secured? do you have security on the router? Should I come by your place this saturday?
AZB