diving

scubajo

Sep 26, 2010
Hi this is my first post and I would like to know from the gurus what they think about my idea of spending 3 months in the DR doing a few diving courses,
I am 50, happily married and have a son who is doing his last year in medicine and a daughter who is starting marine biology this year, hence the reason I am going to do my IDC course.
Why the DR? I have had a few holidays with my wife there and we have always enjoyed them, the water is warm and I will not need a visa.
I am just a little uneasy as I will be going alone and have no idea what it will be like staying at Bavaro and not in a fully inclusive package.

What should I be prepared for? can you give me an idea

Thanks

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Bayahibe on the south coast is the place for diving in the DR - the water quality dive wise is far superior and the area has plenty of dive sites. Bayahibe is a small, quiet fishing village with several good dive schools to choose from. It's also the launch spot for Saona, Catalinita and Catalina islands (more good dive sites).
Apartment rental is less expensive than in Bavaro and you don't need a car to get around as everything is within walking distance. Many people visit and stay in the village just for the diving so you won't be alone.
There are 3 airports to choose from 1) La Romana 15 mins away 2) Punta Cana 90 mins away 3) Santo Domingo 90 mins away.

PM me if you want more info on Bayahibe and dive schools.

nicholas1

Sep 4, 2010
Diving

bayahibe is nice for diving so is bavaro for that matter. The whole east coast is pertty nice the waters r clear and like u said warm year round. As far is rent u can rent pertty cheap right now in bavaro, the rents have gone down alot! Bayahibe could be cheaper for that matter. I would check both places out before u make ur choice

scubajo

Sep 26, 2010
bayahibe is nice for diving so is bavaro for that matter. The whole east coast is pertty nice the waters r clear and like u said warm year round. As far is rent u can rent pertty cheap right now in bavaro, the rents have gone down alot! Bayahibe could be cheaper for that matter. I would check both places out before u make ur choice

Thanks dude!

I think I will take that advise.

scubajo

Sep 26, 2010
Bayahibe on the south coast is the place for diving in the DR - the water quality dive wise is far superior and the area has plenty of dive sites. Bayahibe is a small, quiet fishing village with several good dive schools to choose from. It's also the launch spot for Saona, Catalinita and Catalina islands (more good dive sites).
Apartment rental is less expensive than in Bavaro and you don't need a car to get around as everything is within walking distance. Many people visit and stay in the village just for the diving so you won't be alone.
There are 3 airports to choose from 1) La Romana 15 mins away 2) Punta Cana 90 mins away 3) Santo Domingo 90 mins away.

PM me if you want more info on Bayahibe and dive schools.

Cool I have made up my mind of following your advice on Bayahibe as all leads to the same answer on diving , I just need to hook up with a dive shop that will do PADI IDC courses, can you help on this, accommodation will be my second step.
Thanks man!

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
My bad - looks like the Bayahibe dive schools are more focused on tourist diving and not instructor courses.

Here's a list anyway - contact them for IDC course info as it may not be shown on their website. If they don't do IDCs they'll be able to point you in the right direction.
http://divingdominicanrepublic.com
CASA DANIEL - THE SWISS DIVING SCHOOL - EXCURSIONS BAYAHIBE - DIVE CENTER - ISOLA SAONA - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
http://www.scubafun.info
GRI GRI DIVERS
dive internship, diving instructor course, diving internships: www.dresseldivers.com/en/diving_instructor_course.htm

In Punta Cana this company focuses on courses incl. IDC.
http://www.divecollegedr.com

good luck