Recording a marriage

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
My daughter married a Dominican man last July. They hired a judge to come to their resort to perform the ceremony. After the ceremony, the judge gave them their paper and told them that it needed to be recorded. (I'm sorry, I do not know right now exactly what the paper was called.) The paper incorrectly stated that my daughter was a Canadian, and I am not 100% certain if my son-in-law ever actually recorded the document. (He said he did, but I have learned that that does not mean a lot.) If the paper never got recorded, are they legally married?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The paper is called a marriage certificate and it needs to be notarized. Does your daughter have a copy of it? It will have a signature on the back with some numbers on it.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Normally the judge brings the big black book to the wedding which all marriages are recorded in.

It would be the same as signing the registry at a typical north american wedding.

A few days/weeks after the wedding at the resort you should receive the marriage certificate with barcode/stamps on the back.

Did any of that happen?

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
I will check with my son-in-law in the D.R. He is the one that has the copy of the paper. (My daughter thinks the paper actually is the marriage certificate.)

Thank you.