Having a Dog in the Dominican Republic??

elbachatero6504

Sep 26, 2010
Are there any laws applicable to having a Dog in the Dominican Republic?? Are there any laws against or prohibiting certain breeds?? (ex: American Pit Bull Terriers are outlawed in certain cities, municipalities here in the States) How common is it for people to guard Dogs?? How are Dog bite situations handled there?? etc

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not much of a problem. No breed is prohibited as far as I know.
Regarding dog bites you have to be careful, since locals will take care of the situation in sometimes violent manners: killing the dog and the owner if a child is mangled. It has happened. I am not saying that this is common, of course, and arrests and court battles are more common, and as a foreigner, you will lose, of course.

That said, your main problem is thieves either stealing your dogs or poisoning them.

Dominicans see dogs different than folks from the States, Canada or Europe...not much cuddling...

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's not dogs that make it to the pot, it's cats, mainly.
but yes, i would worry more about your dog being poisoned.

Mar 1, 2009
Dogs are considered "animales" and they are treated as such. In other countries dog's are treated like people, here "people" don't have enough to eat sometimes and having a purebreed dog is a real "lujo". A dog could eat your chickens, a dog could eat your ducks, a dog will poop in your house that you just barriste o mapeaste (swept and mopped). So when a dog behaves as dogs do, Dominican's act as Dominicans do y le meten una pedra (they throw a rock at it), especially if they are poor and uneducated.

We brought our German Shepard with us from New Jersey when we moved to DR in 84. This dog would scare the sh1t outta er'body in the neighborhood and are friends we're always afraid of it. It got poisoned once but we we're able to keep her from dying. Maldito tigere. Plus the other dogs out on the street, the viralatas always have some disease, fleas, ticks or something so your dog has to be watched all the time. So there you have it, if you have a yard and can keep the dog safe from the tres pasitos and away from the mutts your dog will have a long fruitful life.

elbachatero6504

Sep 26, 2010
Thanks. Yea I imagine thats how it would be, here in the States people treat dogs like people. I try to be balanced as far as that goes, but I also take care of my dogs, otherwise what is the point in having them? If I did bring a dog (or acquire one once there) I would mainly use it as a guard dog for added protection etc.

elbachatero6504

Sep 26, 2010
arrests and court battles are more common, and as a foreigner, you will lose, of course.

That said, your main problem is thieves either stealing your dogs or poisoning them.

Dominicans see dogs different than folks from the States, Canada or Europe...not much cuddling...

HB

good points, thanks. How embarrassing that would be to have your 'guard dog' stolen. Thats like watching your Karate instructor get beat up. lol:ermm:

elbachatero6504

Sep 26, 2010
I wouldn't worry so much about your dog biting someone...
I would worry more about your dog getting eaten.....

Really? I never heard of people eating dogs and cats there. But I guess thats not surprising as they CERTAINLY do here, and then just call it something else like 'Sweet and Sour Pork'. Yea right! I have been eating pork long enough to know what it is and what it is not. I mean if its good, ill eat it for the most part, but don't lie to me like I'm stupid and don't know any better.

Mar 1, 2009
If it's for protection then you would have to put something or train them so they don't take the poison. That is tough but it's doable. I mean you may never have anything happen to your dog, but there is always that if. So just keep that in mind when you unleash the hounds of hell!!!!!!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
keep the dog in a secret shed in the back during the day, do not show it to other humans, do not let it become accustomed to humans, only feed it yourself at the start of the night and let it out during the night only, after locking up the house, in the yard...

keep two specimens (brothers) of a large, dark coloured, nonbarking, breed, that will only bite..

Try mastino napolitanos, dobermanns or Rottweilers they are dark and don't bark much

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
it's not dogs that make it to the pot, it's cats, mainly.
but yes, i would worry more about your dog being poisoned.

You could be right, I don't see too many cats in DR. But don't forget the very popular chimichurri place in Haina that just got closed down for serving dog meat. The people in town were all complaining their dogs were disappearing. :ermm:

AE

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You could be right, I don't see too many cats in DR. But don't forget the very popular chimichurri place in Haina that just got closed down for serving dog meat. The people in town were all complaining their dogs were disappearing. :ermm:

AE

While I generally agree with the assessment of Dominicans attitude towards Dogs and cats I know many Dominicans here in Jarabacoa that treat their dogs well, walking them....etc. There are many cat lovers here also. Now the people next door I could shoot. They keep their dogs in the back yard or house during the day then let them out to run the street at night. They bark and chase every moto that goes by, and fight and play until 4 am. Makes for a pleasant sleep, NOT. Wish I had a firehose.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Here in the city lots of people have little yappy dogs that never go out!

And often if they do go out, they do so in the arms of their owners. They are snappy and protective.

My little Shiztzu is the doll of the neighborhood since she goes for a walk once or twice a day, has made friends with all the neighborhood folks on the street, and goes up to little children, hoping to play with them.

Lots of people are afraid of her at first... but I assure them that she is Dominican, and therefore quite peaceful and harmless -- and

only
wants
to
dance

Reactions: cobraboy