Visiting Bani

klwondering

Sep 27, 2010
My daughter is dating a young man from Bani but he lives in the US. His family still lives in Bani. He has asked her to go to the DR with him to meet his family. We do not know a lot about Bani and would appreciate any input from anyone about her traveling there with him. Thanks!

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Has she ever been to D.R.?

i like Bani. I have been several times in my adventures in D.R. There are people on streets but they are all minding their business or working (not buscando like you see in the tourist areas). There several beaches, villas, piscinas, ranches, within driving distance. The colmados and pool halls are always a good time. Everyone also tells me the best dulces are in Bani.

Bani is very low key and quiet.

If she is a city girl she might get bored there. I would do something like spend the weekend in Santo domingo, hang out with the fam during the week, then spend the weekend i santo domingo again.

Dominican Families are incredible hosts, almost too great because they will bend over backwards to entertain you. I recently went with my best friend to see his family. We didnt pay for a meal in the 11 days there because someone always had a sancocho, chivo, or churasco ready for us. i felt i needed a break every once in a while and thats why i made sure i had alternatives when i needed some space.

Has she ever been to D.R?
will they be staying with his parents?
or at hotel/resort?
are they teenagers? early/mid/late 20s?

If she is staying with the family you have to first remember the living conditions in D.R. are different. We take things for granted in the U.S. like always having running water, power, air conditioners, etc. I am sure they have all of that but even the nicest houses and neighborhoods run into issues.

klwondering

Sep 27, 2010
Thanks for the information. We have been to Punta Cana to a resort area but nowhere else. She does know that living conditions are quite different there. They are 23 and 24. She is not sure if she will be staying at his family's house or not. They have not determined that yet. She is adaptable and is not into going out all the time.

They are talking about going in Jan or Feb and still have to discuss it more to make all the plans. She will probably go over with him but will come back before him as she will not be able to take as much time off work. He is planning to stay about 2 weeks or so and she can only go for about a week.

She is excited to go and see another part of the DR and learn more about the culture. She is almost fluent in Spanish. I am sure it will be a great experience for her.

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
As long as she's aware of and okay with the living conditions - especially water/toilets/electricity conditions, she'll have fun. My first experience on the island took me to Barahona. I didn't speak any Spanish at the time and stayed with my friend's grandparents - my friend wasn't with me :) . It was different... enlightening... and amazing. Barahona and Bani are probably fairly close in terms of development and size. I've been through Bani many times... but always just drove through.

G

geomen

Bani is a nice clean Town. There are some very rich people in Bani

klwondering

Sep 27, 2010
Thanks

Thank you everyone! She is excited and going with an open mind to taking it all in and having a good time. She is aware that the living conditions are quite different from the US but she is looking forward to just spending time with him and his family in his hometown. I appreciate all the comments!

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
They will have a great time

She will probably go over with him but will come back before him as she will not be able to take as much time off work. He is planning to stay about 2 weeks or so and she can only go for about a week.
just a suggestion. i think they should do the opposite. When he first gets there is family is going to be all over him. Monopolizing his time and plans. If he gets there before her he can get all of that out of the way.

Like i said in my previous post. i went with my friend. his family really took care of us, and they were great, but you could see his stress levels increase after having to give the status report of the family members in the U.S. over and over again each time he met with someone else in the family.

BTW i find Bani to be incredibly Hot. My friend who lives there says it never rains.

AgenciaPeravia.com

klwondering

Sep 27, 2010
just a suggestion. i think they should do the opposite. When he first gets there is family is going to be all over him. Monopolizing his time and plans. If he gets there before her he can get all of that out of the way.

Like i said in my previous post. i went with my friend. his family really took care of us, and they were great, but you could see his stress levels increase after having to give the status report of the family members in the U.S. over and over again each time he met with someone else in the family.

BTW i find Bani to be incredibly Hot. My friend who lives there says it never rains.

AgenciaPeravia.com

Thanks for that suggestion. That makes a lot of sense. They are just in the planning part of this trip and have not made any definite plans just yet.

And as far as HOT weather...she loves it!

slug

Oct 13, 2005
Bani is the cleanest city in the DR. The people are nice and friendly. You will see no trash in the city which is unusual. Check out the surrounding towns.

johnnj2000

Mar 27, 2004
I am planning on visiting Bani myself in Febuary and have the same problem , I am going to meet my girlfriends family and had thought about staying there for a few days as I ve heard there it is nice and quiet with lots of things to do ,like the rachero tipicos with the pools as well as some beautiful beaches to visit , but I do not want to stay at the families home , Id much be more comfortable in maybe a small hotel/ Motel type place , maybe with a pool and bar close to the beach. Does anyone know the area well? could someone tell me about the area and where some places to stay? I was hoping that everything would be kind of close to the beach area? anyone have any insight as to the lay of the land? Thanks , Id like to be ready , dont want this to turn out into some stressed out disaster :)

dominicanpapi

Dec 9, 2003
I am planning on visiting Bani myself in Febuary and have the same problem , I am going to meet my girlfriends family and had thought about staying there for a few days as I ve heard there it is nice and quiet with lots of things to do ,like the rachero tipicos with the pools as well as some beautiful beaches to visit , but I do not want to stay at the families home , Id much be more comfortable in maybe a small hotel/ Motel type place , maybe with a pool and bar close to the beach. Does anyone know the area well? could someone tell me about the area and where some places to stay? I was hoping that everything would be kind of close to the beach area? anyone have any insight as to the lay of the land? Thanks , Id like to be ready , dont want this to turn out into some stressed out disaster :)

The city of Bani does not really have a beach. there is one but no one goes there as it is very rocky. To go to the beach most people go to salinas wich is part of bani but a good 30 minute drive to from Bani. There is one hotel in salinas but you probably dont want to stay there as it is not that close to Bani. In The center of town in bani there are a few smallers hotel. the best one is probably the caribani hotel. basic hote, ac and hot water. nothing fancy. Theres another hotel named rosanruiz hotel I've stayed there and I like it. This one is located right leaving Bani if you were headed towards ocoa or azua. If you do stay there make sure you pick one of the rooms that is not facing the street as you will be woken up by all the noise from the all the heavy trafic in the morning. pick one of the rooms towards the back or middle of the building. room 213 is very nice with a jacuzzy for about RD $1,200 per night.

If you need more help let me know. I was born in bani my parents own a house down there.

johnnj2000

Mar 27, 2004
thanks Dr papi for the info , last time I tried to find my way to bani's beach was a few years ago I was by myself and thought I had found the beach , it was on this very wide road and all the homes were like mansions , or palaces . I could see from far away that it was heading towards the water where I thought for sure was this beautiful beach that people spoke of but when I reached the end , the beach was not much to speak of , it had plenty of old trees and rocks ,not suitable for anything , I was actually surprised as with all the rich people who lived in that area . Someone told me to go to some other beach there it was sort of on a pinensula next to a military base? I was so disgusted I turned around and went back to juan dollio . Now Im not so sure going there is gonna be such a good Idea, maybe a one or two day visit . again thanks for the info , maybe you could tell me about these places I mentioned?

Last edited:

dominicanpapi

Dec 9, 2003
thanks Dr papi for the info , last time I tried to find my way to bani's beach was a few years ago I was by myself and thought I had found the beach , it was on this very wide road and all the homes were like mansions , or palaces . I could see from far away that it was heading towards the water where I thought for sure was this beautiful beach that people spoke of but when I reached the end , the beach was not much to speak of , it had plenty of old trees and rocks ,not suitable for anything , I was actually surprised as with all the rich people who lived in that area . Someone told me to go to some other beach there it was sort of on a pinensula next to a military base? I was so disgusted I turned around and went back to juan dollio . Now Im not so sure going there is gonna be such a good Idea, maybe a one or two day visit . again thanks for the info , maybe you could tell me about these places I mentioned?

What you are describing is called los almendros beach.. no one really goes there to bathe in the water. Its too rocky.
The beach that people go to in Bani is the one by the military base that you're mentioning. Its called Salinas. It is about 30 minutes from Bani city. There are a few colmados and a few small restaurants in Salinas. Theres also a descent hotel called Hotel salinas right when you get to the town of salinas.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Salinas

Salinas looks pretty cool but there isnt much going on for a day trip during the week.

i was there on a friday afternoon, and there were maybe 5 other people. there is also no shade, and it is pretty hot.

its probably way better on the weekend. the public beaches always have more people visiting on the weekends from what people tell me.

If your going to be in Bani, and like to drive and adventure. You can also try playa palenque but go with someone who knows how to get there or speaks spanish.

Anyone have any restaurant recomendations for Bani?

dominicanpapi

Dec 9, 2003
Restaurants in Bani? I like one called Barbeque house and theres another one by the park that sells descent food. I cant remenber the name of it. I like the food from villa jesuana too. Villa Jesuana is a place that has a nice indoor restaurant and a large pool outside. you can also sit there and relax and eat outside by the poool. I was there a few times and the food was always good in my opinion.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I live in Bani now, and enjoy it greatly.

However, it is a quiet town, and the choice of restaurants is not that great. It seems like there is a pico pollo place on every street, but not too much more. The pizza place on the square is okay. Villa Jesuana is always big hit.

The beach is not bad if you can get past the rocks to get in the water. But getting in barefoot is a bear. I'm going to pick up some beach shoes in the states so I can swim there.

Most people go to the beach to sit and enjoy the breeze and drink cold Presidentes.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
more info por favor...

Yeah it seems like everytime i have gone i go to a pica pollo spot or a simple cafeteria.

I have been to villa palmera(?), villa cana, and driving across caretera maximo gomez.

Where is BBQ house? and villa Jesuana. Google is no help.

Jo@nna

Apr 11, 2009
The best food I had in bani was chinese, I don't remember the street it is on but it is in front of L & R. In the corner its a Pica Pollo but right next door is the place, its in doors with AC....

dominicanpapi

Dec 9, 2003
Yeah it seems like everytime i have gone i go to a pica pollo spot or a simple cafeteria.

I have been to villa palmera(?), villa cana, and driving across caretera maximo gomez.

Where is BBQ house? and villa Jesuana. Google is no help.

villa Jesuana is right around the same area as villa palmera and villa cana. When you're driving down on the main st going towards villa cana keep an eye for the sign to villa jesuana, Its gonna be on the right hand side about a mile or half a mile before the entrance to villa cana. Its a small sign so its easy to miss. Villa Jesuana is in another league, it is so much nicer than the 2 previous ones that I mentioned.

Getting to barbeque house, thats gonna be a tough one because I've been there just once and dont remenber the name of the street or how to explain getting there. If you ask around people should be able to guide you on how to get there. Its not too far from the park.