DR is NOT the same as before

Nov 25, 2008
Living in the DR for over 16 years it may be time to think of another island to migrate.
The economic situation is bad and only going to get worst with the new TAX that is on the way......funny how you don't see any strikes going on lately; Folks that's done with money under the table, plain and simple.

This may be a great island to retire, with dollars coming in to cover your cost, but for a family to cover their expenses its just coming short, from what I see in the states I think that both presidents think that the only way to get funds is to tax the hell out of the middle and poor class.

Just my "2 centavos":ermm:

THISDRLOVE

Sep 28, 2010
Living in the DR for over 16 years it may be time to think of another island to migrate.
The economic situation is bad and only going to get worst with the new TAX that is on the way......funny how you don't see any strikes going on lately; Folks that's done with money under the table, plain and simple.

This may be a great island to retire, with dollars coming in to cover your cost, but for a family to cover their expenses its just coming short, from what I see in the states I think that both presidents think that the only way to get funds is to tax the hell out of the middle and poor class.

Are you from the US? If so what made you decide to move from the US to DR? Im just asking because I for a brief moment felt like relocating to DR one day but recently had stiff reality check!

May 12, 2005

What tax is that?

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
Without cash flow or family support your chances are slim to nill.I think my dad came up with a good model to suceed.He has cashflow from the states from rentals and business sales.He keeps his money circulating with his agricultural business.he doesnt make much,but keeps 4 or 5 people employed, that helps him network within the community.He helps people when he can ,but always maintains his finances in order.He is humble and doesnt live beyond his means.Takes things one day at a time.It took him a few tries at trying to establish himself in the DR even with family(that why i stated family that is supportive not just family.they to can hinder progress).Without a solid plan things can get difficult quickly here.

best of luck hope things turn around for ya.

Reactions: bob saunders

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Thank God, no country is the same as before.

One line, JR style :)

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
he must mean gasoline/fuel tax, i guess.

16 years in DR? dude, on a positice side it must have been amazing to see it grow. i love travelling to my home city (i left over 8 years ago) and see new roads, shops, houses.