That Xmas argument again, when do you do it?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
We are arguing about when Xmas is again, she reckons it is normal to celebrate it on 24th, for me Xmas can only be on 25th. It seems the famy do what I used to do (when I celebrated new years) for new years, but for Xmas.
So we usually end up having two, which is nuts, or do you do the same???

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Give your pressies out on the night of the 24th
Eat chrissy dinner on the 25th

Stay nicely toasted for the whole time and you will not know either way.

Sounds like a solid plan, lol. Do you start on the 24th as well? I'd never come across that before until here.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
We are arguing about when Xmas is again, she reckons it is normal to celebrate it on 24th, for me Xmas can only be on 25th. It seems the famy do what I used to do (when I celebrated new years) for new years, but for Xmas.
So we usually end up having two, which is nuts, or do you do the same???

The main celebration happens on Noche Buena/ Christmas Eve (December 24th) This is when the big family dinners are held and people really get some substantial celebrating. Most people return to their home towns in order to enjoy the holiday with family and friends. Not to mention, most Dominicans love their mothers or aunts cooking so the must return home to enjoy the feast that is prepared. This family gathering is the center of the holiday festivity. December 25th is just a day to recuperate

Dominican Republic Christmas Traditions

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
In France too, the celebration is on Christmas eve, but gifts are opened on Christmas day.
In any case, no big deal, just do as everyone else is doing around you wherever you are (and take Pedro's suggestions, lol)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
In France too, the celebration is on Christmas eve, but gifts are opened on Christmas day. I think that all catholic countries do it that way.
In any case, no big deal, just do as everyone else is doing around you wherever you are (and take Pedro's suggestions, lol)
The DR is a little different. January 6, Three Kings Day is the day for gift giving.

The DR has their own way of celebrating and there is a feeling in the air you know it is holiday time. When in Rome, blah, blah, blah.......

What is the main course for Buena Noche?

YouTube - Preparando los lechones....

YouTube - Asando los puercos

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I wonder if one can get Christmas trees from Jarabacoa and other places in the mountains ?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Also, when is the exact window of days you can bring in your duty free gifts and what is the amount of value (and who determines the value).

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
What I do, is celebrate it all, Catholic Christmas 24, 25, then New Year's Eve 31st, then I have my birthday January the first, then Ortodox Christmas 6, 7, and there is a Serbian New Year on 13th of January. (hehe)

Wow, you hear that Pedro ??? you can be drunk for two solid week and have a good excuse for it ? ;)

Now, Milo you know how to live a good life !!!:cheeky:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Also, there are 12 days of christmas so you could stretch it out...
Plus then there is Honaka - 8 goodly drinking sessions.

And anyway wasn't christmas a pagan thing that got adopted by the god squad - like easter?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the only correct day to celebrate xmas is 24th :)
and i hope that this year i'll be home in da cold! boy oh boy, how i hope for snow!
my dominican family celebrates on the 24th too. at least i think. when i joined them once we did start on that day but then i slipped into boredom induced coma and cannot remember much. how can you celebrate christmas with TV off?!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As others have said, in the DR Christmas is celebrated in a big way with a big dinner on Christmas Eve - La Noche Buena. Christmas Day is nothing special family-wise. Gifts are given on January 6th. The Three Kings ride their camels from house to house leaving gifts for good little kids - who have left out straw and water for the camels.

AE

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Oh i just make the most of it.

Traditional Dominican Christmas eve, everyone gets new clothes and shoes and dresses up and eats too much.

Then on the 25th i cook a traditional english Chrsitmas dinner and eat too much again, presents under the tree in the morning.

Then on the 6th of Jan they get a second lot of pressies and everyones happy!!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If you call it Xmas what are you celebrating?

I think you are probably misunderstanding the point of the thread, deliberately, but I'll answer it anyway. If it was up to me then I wouldn't bother, a big meal and ample drinking is usual on any Sunday when I don't have work the next day so nothing special.
I don't celebrate religion at all as I detest everything religion stands for and have no doubts in my mind it is all BS. However I have a young family and her side are very very strong Catholics and so I might not be the best dad in the world to deny my family what every other family celebrates on the 24th ansd 25th of December. I will probably get dragged to church also, this doesn't mean I see anything there other than depressing paintings and people deluding themselves. I have a theory that about 99% of people who attend church wouldn't put thier life on the line if asked 'can you be sure of what you believe in exists/existed?'. Therefore just weak people looking for something to guide them, something to blame and answer questions they can't answer themselves, the rest use the church purely as a social circle.
Anyway, off line slightly, lol.

Reactions: Chirimoya