Flying Frog With Wall Climbing Cababilities !

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
In the years that I have lived here I have never seen this before.

I came home after shopping today and noticed something " I said to myself looks like a toad " or a shriveled up piece of fruit like a prune but lighter in color on my floor just inside my door.

I am always in a hurry and thought nothing of it until about 1 hour ago when I see this 1" frog thing climb straight up my door and actually circle the upper perimiter of my office area ( taking breaks with each move ) once he did the 360 of my pad he/she/ it jumped from the supporting beem within inches where I first spoted this unique creature and he climbed up the door again and I try to keep letting him out my door but he keeps jumping around at 6' per jump.

Does anyone know what type creaure this is.

I just had the perfect opportunity to show this wall crawlling super jumper the door but he was chowing down on something so I thought maybe this creature is here for a reason.

At the end of the day when I find this again I am going to have to kill it as this muntant freak is freaking me out.

This post took a long time as I really cannot believe this.

I cooked my frogs legs last night and I hope this is not some long lost relative.

This story is 100% TRUE

Didn't have to kill him but swept him out the door...he always stares at you.

Make sure to use the broom and open the door first!

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
I had a frog like that that apparently crawled underneath the door crack of my motel room in Sosua.

He looked like an American Tree Frog on steroids (about the size of a bullfrog in the states). It was bright lime green.

My novia was the first one to notice it. It had climbed into a corner in the room where the top of the wall and ceiling meet. It idn't move at all and was motionless the whole time until I got a broom and moved out of the corner. When it jumped out of the corner and it jumped in our direction, the Dominican hotel clerk and myself fell over each other like the Keystone Kops because I'm thinking it might be one of those poisonous Amazonian frogs that Natives rub their spear points on their backs to paralyze their game.

Then the frog jumped two stories from my bacony into the motel pool, which freaked out some people who were swimming there at the time.

The clerk got the swimming pool cleaner net scooped it out and mashed it with a long pole.

If it was me, I would have caught it and thrown over the wall at the motel so it could it some of the giant cockaroaches I've seen around!!!!!!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Keep the toilet lid closed...... they like water.

My wife has fits when she sees them because of the toilet issue.

Somehow, they figure out how to get from the toilet bowl into the tank..... a la Lloyd Bridges

WW

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I get them quite often here in fact there was one sat on my bedside table two days ago- its seems I have a lot of wildlife in my bedroom, they are usually a lighter colour than this one
common_treefrog.jpg

Reactions: Tamborista
Mar 2, 2008
It is a harmless tiny tree frog, for chr**t sake!

And it's not the first time Mike has had a cute little Dominican reptile in his abode. He just happened to have helped himself to a few extra Brahmas that evening.

(Yes, I realize it is an amphibian. In was simply using liberal literary license.)

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Tree frogs....get them all the time. Very noisy at night and breed like rabbits (tad pole like things submerged in water). Typically before it rains or a storm is coming they will come into the house. Their control over direction on where to jump appears to be random. Cold to the touch and very startling when they jump on you in the shower :)

There is also the toad, which is much bigger and comes out at night. They can 'puff' themselves up and emit a poisonous gas/ spray. Dogs are very prone to this and I would suggest to keep your pets away from the toad as they can make your animal very sick, perhaps kill them (so I've heard).
Charcoal pills or tablets is typically what is given to a dog when it has been sprayed.
I am not a vet, so check with your local vet for further information about this.....

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
It is a harmless tiny tree frog, for chr**t sake!

And it's not the first time Mike has had a cute little Dominican reptile in his abode. He just happened to have helped himself to a few extra Brahmas that evening.........
Another Brahma Lite, Please!

65vasy.gif

I like Rocky's Bar - They don't serve Frog Legs!

D in Tampa/Santiago

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I get them quite often here in fact there was one sat on my bedside table two days ago- its seems I have a lot of wildlife in my bedroom, they are usually a lighter colour than this one
common_treefrog.jpg

That's the one alright and yes he was lighter in color.

This is the first time i have seen one and was wondering if he smelled the juice from the frogs legs i defrosted and cooked the night before and came looking for ......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Tree frogs....get them all the time. Very noisy at night and breed like rabbits (tad pole like things submerged in water). Typically before it rains or a storm is coming they will come into the house. Their control over direction on where to jump appears to be random. Cold to the touch and very startling when they jump on you in the shower :)

There is also the toad, which is much bigger and comes out at night. They can 'puff' themselves up and emit a poisonous gas/ spray. Dogs are very prone to this and I would suggest to keep your pets away from the toad as they can make your animal very sick, perhaps kill them (so I've heard).
Charcoal pills or tablets is typically what is given to a dog when it has been sprayed.
I am not a vet, so check with your local vet for further information about this.....

These are dangerous.... can kill a dog in 20-30 minutes.... you should keep the antidote in the fridge (Dr Bob issues them)
Apparently the dog will retreat to the corner, curl up and die. Just a sniff will do it

Toad was imported to eradicate the vermin in the sugar cane.... bad news for animals... but that is probably why there is a low population of vermin.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i get them too both inside the house (small) and outside (big ones). inside if cats do not get them first i just catch them and take them to the front garden.
it is a bit more complicated when they are outside (backyard). our dog barks at them and few times miesposo woke me up at night to go out and catch the frog/toad as he does not like touching them. i grab the buggers no problem.
lately we have a pair residing around, i call them collectively jessica (afrer jessica simpson) as they both look the same: yellowish and rather fat. sometimes they sit behind the glass of a garden door looking inside at the cats. and the cats sit in the front of the same door, looking outside at the frog.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
You can pick up the toads and move them elsewhere to protect your pets.
If you grab them at the back of the head, like on the "neck" area and keep their face pointed AWAY from you. I've had one spray its poison but not anywheres near my face, this is important.
I too heard that they were imported to eradicate the bugs and other pests that affect sugar cane crops. Too bad that they can't climb the canes, thus it was a very poor idea.
At night these toads make a sound that is similiar to a jack hammer, when they are in the laguna. This I don't mind so much, it's the tree frog that really gets on my nerves when they call out for a mate. Very loud and creeky sounding, disturbing if you get a few of them at the same time chatting it up at night. I guess I should change my RED light bulb huh?

Reactions: SantiagoDR

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
We had a guest recently stay with us and she freaked out when she went into the shower and found this:

showerfrog.jpg

the friendly kind, but obnoxious sounding

Reactions: mike l

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
We had a guest recently stay with us and she freaked out when she went into the shower and found this:

showerfrog.jpg

the friendly kind, but obnoxious sounding

That was the one that was in my place but after I asked him to pay rent he started hopping all over the place.

The green geico carrys credit cards but i guess things work differently in the DR.

This frog didn't even carry a wallet!

Status
Not open for further replies.