Another attempted robbery within 50km of Sosua.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
A friend shared the other day what happened to him.

"Last night at about midnight I was driving from Cabarete to Sosua. Just at the entrance to Enquentro there was a boy standing on the shoulder and watching as I was approaching. At the moment when I was driving by him (65 miles per hour) he threw at full swing (like a baseball player) a stone size of a big apple right into my windshield. I was able to turn away my head to avoid it. But the windshield got all broken and I got all in small pieces of glass. I did not have gun with me so decided not to stop and just drove away. Apparently he wanted me to stop and to attack me."

Another friend who lives in SD replied like: " This is very common in the capital now,at Las Americas. They throw a stone and then attack the driver who stops".

No more driving after dark, friends!! Let`s have our beer at home, in front of TV. It`s all getting not pretty.

Reactions: SantiagoDR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This exact thing happened to us when we were driving on the road from Samana to the new highway. Our glass didn't break, it hit the metal. Luckily my husband's brother had warned him that if someone threw a rock at the car not to stop. It wasn't even nighttime, it was late afternoon.

AE

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Thanks for letting us know, Afgan.
First I've heard of this sort of thing around here... if I hear anyone else having a similar situation, will post it.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
A friend shared the other day what happened to him.

"Last night at about midnight I was driving from Cabarete to Sosua. Just at the entrance to Enquentro there was a boy standing on the shoulder and watching as I was approaching. At the moment when I was driving by him (65 miles per hour) he threw at full swing (like a baseball player) a stone size of a big apple right into my windshield. I was able to turn away my head to avoid it. But the windshield got all broken and I got all in small pieces of glass. I did not have gun with me so decided not to stop and just drove away. Apparently he wanted me to stop and to attack me."

Another friend who lives in SD replied like: " This is very common in the capital now,at Las Americas. They throw a stone and then attack the driver who stops".

No more driving after dark, friends!! Let`s have our beer at home, in front of TV. It`s all getting not pretty.

Is this teenage hooligans (boy) doing the robberies or is it grown men, who lie in wait, that use a boy to draw less attention from an unsuspecting public???????

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Are these men just targeting lone drivers??? It seems to me that would be their method.

How about the taxi drivers??? Are they being held up as well? I do use the taxis from Sosua to Cabarete quite a bit.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Are these men just targeting lone drivers??? It seems to me that would be their method.

How about the taxi drivers??? Are they being held up as well? I do use the taxis from Sosua to Cabarete quite a bit.

no, any car. midnight one cannot see inside. probly there are many enough of them in the bush.

taxi publico seems ok.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just this week a metro autobus was attacked in the same way in villa altagracia (close to SD). a friend of ours was a passenger. few stones were thrown at the bus and one of the windows was smashed. the driver kept on going.
miesposo was attacked in the very same location few years back. stone thrown on the windshield. all of it cracked but did not break completely. miesposo also kept on driving.
i meant to post this story but completely forgot. in any case, if it happens to you DO NOT STOP. keep on driving. i would be probably screwed big time as i am unexperienced driver but then i do not attempt long distances as of yet.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Poor Sosua. It gets it again.

The event happened en route to Sosua. Not in Sosua. Probably closer to Cabarete. Why Sosua all the time?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
just this week a metro autobus was attacked in the same way in villa altagracia (close to SD). a friend of ours was a passenger. few stones were thrown at the bus and one of the windows was smashed. the driver kept on going.
miesposo was attacked in the very same location few years back. stone thrown on the windshield. all of it cracked but did not break completely. miesposo also kept on driving.
i meant to post this story but completely forgot. in any case, if it happens to you DO NOT STOP. keep on driving. i would be probably screwed big time as i am unexperienced driver but then i do not attempt long distances as of yet.
That area is creepy to drive through. That behavior has been going on for years Alida says.

Reactions: mike l

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
That area is creepy to drive through. That behavior has been going on for years Alida says.

If the rocks don't work, hopefully they won't get creative.......
1zdlqhi.gif

B in Santiago

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
The event happened en route to Sosua. Not in Sosua. Probably closer to Cabarete. Why Sosua all the time?

If my memory serves me correct, isn't Encuentro located just a little past the big hill on the main road, between Sosua and Cabarete??? If it is, I would have to say it is closer to Cabarete, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.