POP Airport to Santiago - Cheapest Possible

Jun 5, 2004
Hey Guys,

Im wondering what is the cheapest way to get from POP airport to Santiago...Im assuming that would be to take a cab from the airport to the bus terminal and then over to Santiago...can someone provide specifics? prices? cheaper way?....

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Walk?
Unfortunately, unless all you have is a back pack, you can't walk out of the terminal to the highway and flag down a local guagua to POP or Sos?a and catch the Caribe Tour bus. You could save a few pesos if you were to take a Javilla bus to Santiago, I think they leave you at 30 de Marzo and 27 de Febrero.

HB

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
On previous threads people have stated that the airfare was quite a bit cheaper to fly directly into Santiago, (STI). Have you checked into this alternative?
You probably have reasons for flying into POP first (and I won't ask, it's none of my business), but you would be surprised how many people just don't think of the obvious.
If arriving into POP first is a must, HB's advise is the best way.....

B in Santiago

Jun 5, 2004
Im not taking much so the walking part may not be that bad....as long as its not a 25km walk to the highway....in that case i would take a bus towards Puerto Plata/Sosua and get off where? also do you guys know how much is a cab out of the airport to the bus terminal?

I know...but on this specific instance POP would be the least expensive option....

Thanks

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Im not taking much so the walking part may not be that bad....as long as its not a 25km walk to the highway....in that case i would take a bus towards Puerto Plata/Sosua and get off where? also do you guys know how much is a cab out of the airport to the bus terminal?

I know...but on this specific instance POP would be the least expensive option....

Thanks
The rate from POP to Caribe tours or Javilla Tours Bus station at Puerto plata city is US $45.00 Dollars but you have another alternative and is to go the wrong way to Sosua Caribe Tours terminal this way will pay $ 25.00 only as this terminal is closer from the airport.

JJ

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Taxi to Sosua is cheaper then to POP. Then take Caribe tours to Santiago for about US 6. Make sure the timing is correct, I think the last bus leaves Sosua about 6pm but you need to double check that!

Jun 5, 2004
Hey,

Sorry to bring the thread back up but I am travelling again into POP airport next thursday with nothing (as I shipped everything before hand) and was wondering if anyone could give me specific instructions on how to get from the airport to the Metro or Caribe Tours stations to catch the bus to Santiago. How do I exit the airport? Where would I wait for the bus? and where should I get off? Thanks in advance...

Adan

Jun 29, 2011
Hi,

I did it last year (Puerto Plata to Santiago with caribe tour), it's a one hour travel and cost 100 Pesos

You have two solutions :

You could take a taxi from POP Airport to Puerto Plata (guagua would be cheaper though) and take a caribe tour bus until santiago.

Ask your taxi to drop you at Caribe Tour channel for santiago ( If I recall the place was called " la jarabia" or something like that in Puerto Plata)

From POP Airport you stop at Charamicos near sosua ( less than 10 mn by taxi), where you have a Caribe Tour channel

You take your bus from Charamicos to Santiago (like 1h30 travel)

I'd say solution 2 is easier for you and less expensive cause taxi will "kill you" from POP Airport to Puerto Plata specially if you're a gringo. Sosua is only 10-15 mn from POP Airport and they charge 25 USD for 10 mn (tourists who don't know...)

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
"Cheapest way Is Me "

I WOULD LIKE MY NOTEBOOK brought from the US to the Piiop airport. SO if you contact. Me quickly, I will fedex it to you and meet you at Puertaplata. Airport and take you to the bus stop( with a large presidente in your hand) PRivate Email (PM) me.