Crazy Pizza Guy Back In Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Antonio is back in Cabarete making Pizza. He is located across from the German Place Hex or whatever it is called, towards the end of town heading East. Pizza is as good as ever.

Reactions: DavidZ

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
His new place "Bocatta" is actually right in the center of Cabarete at the entrance to Papi's/La Casita. He built a wood fired Brick oven like at the former "Pizza Via" and as SKY said, the pizza is as good as ever...maybe even a little better...and a plain cheese pie is only $100 pesos, taxes included...

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
why is he the crazy pizza guy?

cabarete doesnt particularly interest me. stayed there and didnt like the beach.

that said.. is the pizza worth a trip from sosua for JUST the pizza.

having run a pizza shop for the last several years i find myself searching out GOOD pizza whenever i travel. but i wouldnt want to take a trip if it isnt worth it.

apparantly it was worth your posting about it... but, if it were located in sosua or sabaneta, would you drive to go get it ?

i'm back in country in two weeks, and will make the trip if its recommended.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
with all the surfers going there i would assume it to be a very good strategic move...pizza is a basic staple of the younger generations

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
why is he the crazy pizza guy?

cabarete doesnt particularly interest me. stayed there and didnt like the beach.

that said.. is the pizza worth a trip from sosua for JUST the pizza.

having run a pizza shop for the last several years i find myself searching out GOOD pizza whenever i travel. but i wouldnt want to take a trip if it isnt worth it.

apparantly it was worth your posting about it... but, if it were located in sosua or sabaneta, would you drive to go get it ?

i'm back in country in two weeks, and will make the trip if its recommended.

in a word... yes.

I *would* travel to Sosua or Sabaneta for this pizza. But like everything in life, it may not be for everyone..the crust is ULTRA thin and crispy, slightly burnt on some edges from the wood fired oven...not much sauce and just enough cheese to cover the pie with none "flopping over" your hand when you pick up the slice...exactly how I like my pizza...

Also...Antonio isn't really crazy, he's just a colorful character, or was...in the old restaurant...he's seemed to mellow out quite a bit and isn't always the one working the oven now...

Reactions: SKY

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
in a word... yes.

I *would* travel to Sosua or Sabaneta for this pizza. But like everything in life, it may not be for everyone..the crust is ULTRA thin and crispy, slightly burnt on some edges from the wood fired oven...not much sauce and just enough cheese to cover the pie with none "flopping over" your hand when you pick up the slice...exactly how I like my pizza...

I would travel further for this Pizza than from Sosua, but like David said, each person has different tastes. As for being crazy, this is a given. Some Pizza makers use a large wooden tool to cook, he uses metal. I found out one night about five years ago why. When you hit your assistant over the head with the metal one you can keep using it, the wooden one breaks.

Reactions: woofsback

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
thank you both.

i agree, pizza is very subjective. and the styles and tastes vary greatly.

this sounds like a pizza "i" would be willing to travel for.!!

for me.. the thinner and crispier, the better.. and i LOVE a real wood fired pizza. though i do prefer light cheese and lots of sauce..

guess i'll be going back to cabarete in a few weeks.

Thanks !!

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Pizza in the DR

Though somethings are better in the DR, the pizza isn't. I've had some good pizzas in the DR, but nothing great.

The only GREAT pizzas I've eaten were made in the States, that's just not ethnocentrically speaking, it's the effen truth....

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Though somethings are better in the DR, the pizza isn't. I've had some good pizzas in the DR, but nothing great.

The only GREAT pizzas I've eaten were made in the States, that's just not ethnocentrically speaking, it's the effen truth....

Have you ever tried this pizza? There's nothing Dominican about it...

Jan 17, 2009
I never liked Antonio's pizza. I like a thin crust, but his was ways too thin for my taste and don't recall it was crispy at all. To eat it, I had to fold it to hold it in my hands. But, like you say, pizza is one of those things that we have to agree to disagree about.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003

And the WORLD champions in basketball are the LA Lakers. USA USA USA....I would not even call Pizza hut and Dominos pizza. Breadcheesish maybe. My 2 pesos

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Incredible Pizza....

And the WORLD champions in basketball are the LA Lakers. USA USA USA....I would not even call Pizza hut and Dominos pizza. Breadcheesish maybe. My 2 pesos

I know we are straying a bit, but I gotta share this....I had a gourmet Pizza the other night called the Godfather...Gorgonzola bleu cheese on the bottom, mozzarella and chedder above, and topped off with steak tips spread out evenly (sliced small....but it was alot).....I would have never thought in a million years that I would have liked this combination together, but it was unbelievable, awesome, and a whole bunch of adjectives I don't have the patience to write..........It has vaulted to the coveted number 1 spot as my favorite Pizza.......;););)

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I know we are straying a bit, but I gotta share this....I had a gourmet Pizza the other night called the Godfather...Gorgonzola bleu cheese on the bottom, mozzarella and chedder above, and topped off with steak tips spread out evenly (sliced small....but it was alot).....I would have never thought in a million years that I would have liked this combination together, but it was unbelievable, awesome, and a whole bunch of adjectives I don't have the patience to write..........It has vaulted to the coveted number 1 spot as my favorite Pizza.......;););)

Sounds like something u need after u finished the Iron Man.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009

The pizza chains don't make GREAT pizza, it's the privately-owned mom & pop
pizza joints that are the innovators and make a GREAT pie....

John's Wildwood Pizzeria MENU Pizza Hoagies Wings Salads Edinboro

...like John Wildwoods in Edinboro, he stood up to the competition and the quality of his pies put Dominoes and some pizza stores out of business....

I would travel further for this Pizza than from Sosua, but like David said, each person has different tastes. As for being crazy, this is a given. Some Pizza makers use a large wooden tool to cook, he uses metal. I found out one night about five years ago why. When you hit your assistant over the head with the metal one you can keep using it, the wooden one breaks.

People of DR1 take notice SKY knows food!!! When Sky reccomends a place it is good, He took me to this place a few years back and the pizza was great and watching the owner in full swing you realize he has a few loose screws in the head but he is entertaining and the pizza is great and I know pizza, Im from NYC!!!;)
Sky should have his own food section on this board, If you want good food in Sosua, Santiago,Capital or Bavaro Sky is your man to ask.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
People of DR1 take notice SKY knows food!!! When Sky reccomends a place it is good, He took me to this place a few years back and the pizza was great and watching the owner in full swing you realize he has a few loose screws in the head but he is entertaining and the pizza is great and I know pizza, Im from NYC!!!;)
Sky should have his own food section on this board, If you want good food in Sosua, Santiago,Capital or Bavaro Sky is your man to ask.

i was with you until that line...

new york doesnt have good pizza... :bunny:

i'll be hiding under my desk now.. let me know when stuff stop flying in my direction and its safe to come out.

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
For us, it's the best pizza in town - we don't care how crazy he might be, as long as we are not in the firing line - I'm going to order the Godfather next time, sounds fantastic. BTW, a well travelled Italian guest of ours declared the pizza she had there as the best she'd ever tasted.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

i'll be hiding under my desk now.. let me know when stuff stop flying in my direction and its safe to come out.

Oh lord, don't tell me you think that deep-dish stuff from Chicago is pizza???? Pizza should be thin and have a crisp crust.

The first pizzeria in America was Lombardi's in downtown Manhattan, the first pizzeria/restaurante in American was opened by one of his workers, Patsy Lancieri, who opened up with a coal fired oven in Italian Harlem in 1934 - First Avenue & 117th Street. Patsy's Pizzeria is still considered to have had the best pizza in the states. I took a drive up there about 10 years ago with Patsy's wife and daughter, just after they sold it [to Greek brothers]. If you're ever in Brooklyn, try Grimaldi's, near the Brooklyn Bridge. He's Patsy's nephew.

New York pizza ROCKS!!

AE

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Oh lord, don't tell me you think that deep-dish stuff from Chicago is pizza???? Pizza should be thin and have a crisp crust.

The first pizzeria in America was Lombardi's in downtown Manhattan, the first pizzeria/restaurante in American was opened by one of his workers, Patsy Lancieri, who opened up with a coal fired oven in Italian Harlem in 1934 - First Avenue & 117th Street. Patsy's Pizzeria is still considered to have had the best pizza in the states. I took a drive up there about 10 years ago with Patsy's wife and daughter, just after they sold it [to Greek brothers]. If you're ever in Brooklyn, try Grimaldi's, near the Brooklyn Bridge. He's Patsy's nephew.

New York pizza ROCKS!!

AE

Spoken like a true Brooklyn gal!!!!;);)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

duck, and go take a nap!!!!!!!:cheeky::cheeky::D:D:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.