La Fenice

vahauger

Oct 8, 2010
Does anyone out there know aything about this place? I just received some pictures from a realtor in Las Terrenas.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I have never actually stayed there, but it looks nice from outside (hope I am not mistaking: it is white complex/residencia when u take the road toward el Portillo). It looks new and luxurious and it is across the street from Punta Poppy (great location).

I am sure some LT resident could confirm that.

vahauger

Oct 8, 2010
Yeah, I think that's it. I know that it's new , white and across from Punta Poppy beach. Has anyone out there stayed there yet? I could really use some feed back.
Thanks

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I don't think you have anything to worry about. It has good location, there is security and it is on high-end side. I am honestly surprised you found something there within budget.

You are going for several months right ? Try to not commit to a place for your entire stay, so if anything goes wrong, you can go somewhere else or find a better deal.

vahauger

Oct 8, 2010
Africaida, I haven't commited to La Fenice yet. It looks like a really nice place but I'm leary about commiting to something without looking at it first. I had a bad experience renting a place by just looking at pictures. I was thinking about taking the advice of others and just going to Las Terrenas and finding something when I get there. The only thing that concerns me is that I might find something I like and find out that all the dates that I need won't be open and I will have to move around(like christmas week might not be available). What do you think?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I understand your concern. I guess I have been lucky with my rentals in LT. Because I travel with children, I have to trust the pictures cause I can't move around.

How far before the holidays will you get there ? It would make all the difference. On my last winter trip, I arrived on January 1st and didn't have any problem reserving anything. Rentals are slightly different than hotels and it seemed to me that they had more availabilities. I have seen so many houses and apt sitting empty during the holidays season (both winter and summer), that I have never had a problem getting a lot less than I was first quoted.

Last edited:

vahauger

Oct 8, 2010
I am arriving on Nov 3. The thing is you said that you arrived Jan 1, which is after Christmas. I guess I am concerned about Christmas week. I would appreciate any and all advice on this issue to help me decide. Should I just go ahead and reserve La Fenice or should I just go to Las Terrenas and find something when I get there?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I am arriving on Nov 3. The thing is you said that you arrived Jan 1, which is after Christmas. I guess I am concerned about Christmas week. I would appreciate any and all advice on this issue to help me decide. Should I just go ahead and reserve La Fenice or should I just go to Las Terrenas and find something when I get there?

I know but people came for the holidays which include new-year's eve, so most holiday vacationers are still in town on the 1st which was a Friday this year.

I can't tell you what to do, but you arrive in November that should give you plenty of time to look around before the high-season.

Up to you Man, but relax, you will be fine :bunny:

I am sensing that you do need vacations, lol ;)

dahlia

Nov 21, 2006
Africaida is right, arriving beginning of nov. it will be easy for you to find a place you like - and you'll have time to compare.
La Fenice looks nice from outside, don't know anybody who ever stayed there.
We prefer the other side of LT, because on La fenice's side you have a road with lot of trafic and noise.
We often go to LT and always at the hotel playa colibri, fully equiped apatments with complete hotel service, older than la Fenice, but we love the luxurious tropical garden, the swimming pool and the beach over there. The road does not go anywhere so it is quiter than the other side. I expect they would give you special rate for a long period stay, you can check with them at Playa Colibri Hotel - Oceanfront Apartments in Las Terrenas Dominican Republic
have a nice stay at LT !

vahauger

Oct 8, 2010
dahlia,
I sent Playa Colibri an email and asked them for long term rate. They sent me back a quote of over $2000USD per month,HA. I told them I could get a luxury one bedroom condo for $600 per month and why sould I pay $2000 per month? I told them that there quote was an insult!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I have the same experience, the apart-hotel are fine for a couple day stays but for long term there are a rip-off compared to what can be found after a bit of research.