Cigar Question... Looking for a certain Brand !

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Anyone know where I can get 'Don Jose Cigars' ?

I tried to look for them in Puerto Plata in July and no luck... will be there next week and would like to pick some up.

I have a label from one of the cigars... it's yellow, white and green with red lettering - underneath the name 'Don Jose Cigars' it says 'El mejor tabaco para un sabor exquisito - Hecho totalmente a mano'

Would like it as close to the North Coast as possible so if anyone knows where I can pick them up please let me know !

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I know of one brand by that name, but it has an orange band and it's made in Honduras. Most likely the ones you are looking for are made in one of the many small "fabricas" in Tamboril or Santiago and sold in tourist shops.

In Sosua, there are two good cigar stores, both on the main street (Pedro Clisante)....Cafe Cubano and Super Super Surf Liquors...both carry Premium cigars and some of the smaller, local brands...Herman's bar on the corner of Clisante and Dr. Rosen also has a small store with various "tourist" brands and a few name brands.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Thanks for the info ! the label that i have has the Dominican crest on them so I assumed that they were Dominican...

I am not a cigar smoker at all so I have no idea what the big difference is between them but do you or anyone know of any cigars that would be similar to those ones as I'm not going to waste my time driving around looking for them ?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Well...Ive never tried one, but my guess is there made by a Dominican guy named... Jose!! :bunny:

Joking aside...if you have a reason for buying that specific brand or something similar, ask the person who likes them why they like that cigar versus others and I (or perhaps others here) can suggest another cigar with similar characteristics...or if you have a spare, I'd be happy to try it and recommend something similar that you can find easily...

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
My first question would be, where did you get the cigar ring from. The only mainstream brands under the moniker "Don Jose" that I've come across are a Honduran brand and a Colombian one, neither of which sport the Dominican emblem on the ring.

I agree with David. It is probably a tourist cigar, or a cigar obtained from any of the numerous local sources, and an official looking ring and name slapped on it and sold to tourists looking for souvenirs. These cigars often come from so many different sources, that they usually aren't uniform in quality or taste. So it'd be kinda hard to recommend something similar.

Vince.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I got the cigar ring from a friend here in Toronto that wanted to get more of them... he's asked a few people that have gone to DR but no ones seemed to find them.

He bought them 2 years ago in Puerto Plata but the place they were bought has since closed

244pqno.jpg

I've uploaded a pic of the label...

I guess he's **** outta luck than !

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Yep...I doubt you'll ever find that particular cigar again. Looking at the band it is clearly a "one-off" type cigar...could be crap, could be GREAT...obviously your friend likes them enough to ask you to find more.

Chances are he likes them because they are particularly mild...or spicy...or strong, etc. As I said earlier...if he can describe what he likes..or a more famous brand he prefers, you can probably find something to bring back that he'll like just as much...or more...

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Chances are he likes them because they are particularly mild...or spicy...or strong, etc. As I said earlier...if he can describe what he likes..or a more famous brand he prefers, you can probably find something to bring back that he'll like just as much...or more...

Will do... thanks for the help !