Transportation between cabarete and POP

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjw

Oct 11, 2010
Does anyone know the cost of useing a taxi to travel to POP for a day of shopping and return to Cabarete? Say 6 hrs or so.

Is it more economical to rent a car for the day?

Cheers
Frank

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can take a Publico for about $2 US round trip. These are taxis that stop along the road. Just flag one down.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Take a publico as suggested to get to Puerto Plata, do your shopping, hire a taxi to go from place to place if needed. 100 to 150 RD and then when done take a taxi home to Cabarete if you have a lot of stuff, otherwise hop on the carro Publico again.

Jan 17, 2009
Take a publico as suggested to get to Puerto Plata, do your shopping, hire a taxi to go from place to place if needed. 100 to 150 RD and then when done take a taxi home to Cabarete if you have a lot of stuff, otherwise hop on the carro Publico again.

Just keep in mind that a taxi back from POP could cost you upwards of USD$45.

You can always pay more than one fare in a publico to get more room, or even pay them the fare for the six passengers that they take and have it all to yourself.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Does anyone know the cost of useing a taxi to travel to POP for a day of shopping and return to Cabarete? Say 6 hrs or so.

Is it more economical to rent a car for the day?

Cheers
Frank

Maybe it is not of my business Frank. But do you really need to go to POP? Are you 100% sure that you cannot live without those things that you want to buy in POP? Cannot you wait until return to NYC where you can buy anything safely?

Just a thought aloud... nothing personal

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
To answer the OP's question directly, you can rent a decent car in Cabarete for around $30 USD, figure about another $10 for gas. You can get a car and driver for about $50 USD for the day...I know a good guy who speaks english and can do either, if you're interested...

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Maybe it is not of my business Frank. But do you really need to go to POP? Are you 100% sure that you cannot live without those things that you want to buy in POP? Cannot you wait until return to NYC where you can buy anything safely?

Just a thought aloud... nothing personal

I "rented" a taxi driver for the better part of a day, about two years ago, for a tourist tour of Puerto Plata.

I paid about $80 US from Cabarete to Puerto Plata and back. The trip included the fort, cigar factory, shopping, and the cable car ride to the top of the mountain that overlooks POP.

The driver was my "chauffeur" for the day, and waited for me, as long as I wanted, for me to tour the different sites.

I'm sure you can find one to do the same thing for you with the shopping, I bet a publico taxi driver would do the same thing for even less, but you'd have to go up to the stand in Sosua and find a driver that will understand what you want to do.......

fjw

Oct 11, 2010
Afgan

Just a thought aloud... nothing personal I believe that was a bias opinion rather than a though, but thanks anyway.

DavidZ and FritoBandito
You guys have me sussed out. A car and driver I exactly what I require.

My wife and are down for 5 months and need a major shopping trip for supplies off the start. DavidZ if you can out me in contact with your guy I would greatly appreciate it. We arrive Nov 1; I will not have my local cell until then.

A car rental would be nice at times to tour the county side. Last year we drove the loop Cabarete to Nagua south on the new toll road through the national park to Bavaro and back up through Santo Domingo , Santiago etc,. Nice four day drive.
Santo Doming was an experience I?m note sure I would want to repeat I learned some very unique rules of the road.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You can pay a publico driver to act as a taxi for less than you pay a taxi.

We have often done that. You get the same service as you would from a taxi, but at a lower price.

Status
Not open for further replies.