Buzz on Taino pyramid found in PoP

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
OK, so in the campo a viejo caretaker drank himself to death and apparently wasn't found until 5 days later.
Then a new caretaker takes his place and tears down the 'ol drunkards shack, starts building a new building and cleans the place up.
Next thing I know the paparazzi is buzzing around the neighborhood claiming there has been an authentic Taino pyramid found while cleaning up the property and that this is BIG. Columbus said the indians built with wood and thatch, not stone pyramids. Perhaps this is an ancient pyramid of the Mayans? Incas? Aztecs?
So the poor owner has his building permits on hold, from the mayor...wait building permits?? This is in the middle of nowhere in the campo, never heard of such thing. Maybe the find forced him to pull out some permits knowing that there was going to be a buzz.

So at 2:00 (today) a bunch of us are going to check this archeaological find out, armed with digital camera.
I will post what I find earlier this evening.
Sosua news has a write up on it, so much for the secret!
Reese

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It was in the dr1 news yesterday, following reports in the newspapers. I wondered if there might be a connection with the eccentric German museum owner mentioned on the forums.
Dominican pyramids?
The United Nations Education, Science and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) will send a team to verify the true nature of what some believe might be pre-Colombian structures located in a rural area of Puerto Plata province. If the structures check out, the archeological site could become a magnet for students and professionals alike, since there are no similar structures on any of the Caribbean islands.
The source speculated the finds could change the way history is told today.
According to Hoy, the "find" is a pyramid structure similar to those in Tikal in Guatemala or Tulum in the Mayan Riviera. The news source refused to give a precise location of the structure, revealing only that it was in the Puerto Plata province. No date was given for the arrival of the Unesco team.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
One I missed, as I usually just go to the forums.
Thanks Chiri.
The team will be out there tomorrow as I understand

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
so they're calling this a pyramid?

Hallazgo.jpg

Jul 4, 2010
About a year ago, I sent the above picture and others to a FB page specializing in archeological enigmas and mysteries. I took the pictures on the top of a mountain in a wilderness area close to the town of El Cercado, while visiting a folk healer friend, who used to be visited regularly by Joaquin Balaguer via helicopter. My take is that the stones are natural origin, however, the page owner insisted that they are the remains of a megalithic monument, and even suggested part of Atlantis. I never did indicate their location.

Last edited by a moderator:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Well I guess that archaeologists' money is as good as anyone else's.

Good initiative by the tourism minister, I say.

Perhaps they could follow up with a Dominican Zona51 and Roswellao promotion?

:bunny:

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
This could be big!

Even if it is a pile of rubble, a good case can be made that this was once an important temple about 300 feet high and configured to track the stars and equinox. Also, for added interest a professor can determine that some human and animal sacrifices were made as part of a ritual to enhance verility and forestall the end of the world expected in say 2049. A massive reconstruction project can be made to depict what the anciet city looked like. The end result would be a boost to tourism and even the construction of a cruse boat terminal in Peurto Plata... ;)

E

engineerfg

on behalf of the Taino community, I would just like to say...

Jul 4, 2010
The sooner the site is recognised as a Taino site, the quicker it will need to be protected

Taino artifacts change hands for big big bucks , looking at the pictures , i would be

more inclined to suggest this maybe a burial site and of significant importance .

Its the islands history , protect it .

Tainos did not bury their dead, and by the way, I have a Taino artifact wishing to change hands, any interested party can send me a pm.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
if it is true then it will definitely be a benefit to the island
increase in tourists
increase in culture
more pride to the locals

if it is false then it will be a short benefit to the island
quick cash grab and a few repeat customers :)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Taino had no Pyramids.
Well, there is one hill before Otra Banda, close to higuey, that has a nice pyramid shape (going from Seiba to Otra Banda on the crossroad to Nisibon).

Taino architecture is based on wooden constructions of square buildings, Casas de Casique (for upper class, porch, and keeping statues of Gods) and round buildings Bohios (for lower class, preparing food etc.)

Taino words in common use are: barbecue, canoe, hammock, hurricane and tobacco.
(interesting also and not related with Tainos, is that US population use a lot word Okay, Greek origin, means All Good _ Ola Kala).

Equally unrelated and equally questionable:

THE AFRICAN THEORY
OKAY was brought to the United States by African slaves, as part of their native language. It has been claimed that the phonetic waw-kay is a phrase (or word) in either the Bantu or Wolof dialects (or both), kay being a word meaning yes and waw an emphatic; waw-kay is an emphatic yes. The use of the word kay alone is recorded in the speech of black Americans as early as 1776. Significantly, the emergence of OKAY in white Americans? vocabulary dates from a period when many refugees from Southern slavery were arriving in the North.

THE CHOCTAW THEORY
Some linguists draw attention to the Choctaw word okeh, which has the same pronunciation and meaning as in general American usage; U.S. President Woodrow Wilson, among others, used this spelling to emphasize the word?s Native American origins.

THE OLD KINDERHOOK THEORY
U.S. President Martin Van Buren was called Old Kinderhook after his birthplace of Kinderhook, New York. On March 24, 1840, during Van Buren?s bid for re-election, his Democratic supporters opened the OK Club on Grand Street in New York City?inspired by the initials of Van Buren's nickname. Van Buren lost, but OK lived on.

THE ORL KORRECT THEORY
The 1830s saw a rise in the number of quirky abbreviations of common phrases. For example, ISBD meant ?it shall be done,? RTBS ?it remains to be seen? and SP ?small potatoes.? Furthermore, KY stood for ?no use? (know yuse) and, as noted in the Boston Morning Post on March 23, 1839, OK served as shorthand for ?all correct? (orl korrect).

THE CIVIL WAR THEORY
During the Civil War, when a battalion returned from the front, the first man in line carried a sign displaying the number of men killed in action: ?9 Killed,? ?5 Killed,? and so on. If the number was zero, the sign read OK, indicating that all had survived.

THE FRENCH THEORY
One theory, published in London?s Daily Express newspaper in 1940, suggests that the term came into use during the American Revolutionary War. French sailors, remaining near their ships, patronized American women aux quais?the French term for on the docks, which is pronounced okay.

THE ANGLO-SAXON THEORY
Several centuries before okay?s first appearance, Norwegian and Danish sailors used the Anglo-Saxon term hogfor, meaning seaworthy. This was often abbreviated HG, pronounced hag-gay.

THE SHIPBUILDER THEORY
Early shipbuilders marked the timber they prepared. The first to be laid was marked OK Number 1, short for Outer Keel Number 1.

THE SCOTTISH THEORY
OK is an adaptation of the Scottish expression och-aye?deriving from och, an exclamation of surprise, and aye, meaning yes?which dates back to the 16th century.

THE OLD ENGLISH THEORY
In old England, the last harvest loads brought in from the fields were called hoacky or horkey. The same term also denoted the feast following the harvest and, thus, indicated its satisfactory completion. It was soon shortened to OK.

THE BRITISH PARLIAMENT THEORY
Some bills going through the House of Lords required the approval of Lords Onslow and Kilbracken. After reading and approving these bills, they would both initial them, producing the combined signature OK.

THE PRUSSIAN THEORY
The Prussian general Schliessen, who fought on the side of the American colonies during the Revolutionary War, was granted the title Oberst Kommandant, or Colonel-in-Command. All his orders were initialed OK.

THE GREEK THEORY
According to the text Geoponica, dated 920 CE, the Greek letters omega and khi, when repeated twice, are effective as a magical incantation against fleas.

THE SCHOOLMASTER THEORY
Early schoolmasters marked examination papers with the Latin omnis korrecta (all correct), sometimes abbreviated OK. In ancient Greece, teachers marked excellent papers with OK for ola kala, indicating all is good.

THE FINNISH THEORY
The Finnish word for correct is oikea.

THE INDIAN CHIEF THEORY
Keokuk, Iowa, is named for an Indian chief. His admirers sometimes remarked, "Old Keokuk, he's all right"; the initials OK came to mean the same thing.

THE TELEGRAPH THEORY
Telegraph operator Oscar Kent never made mistakes in his transmissions. A telegraph message signed O.K. signalled that all was correct.

THE OK / Okay THEORY
The correct spelling of OK is okay. The spelling OK constitutes historical revisionism, as all evidence points to the word okay coming from Africa and being in use long before any record of OK. See The African Theory and The Choctaw Theory

I'm with the "area 51" crowd on this story.

"Norwegian dropped his wallet" - BWAAAHAHA!!! Good one!

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
The ruins are from the first "Cristals" casa ever built in Puerto Plata. Colombus and his men would go there on Fridays because there was a two for one special......:bandit:

Jul 4, 2010
included a 90-foot-long artifact-laden midden mound, the first of what could be as many as 400 prehistoric burials, patterns of post holes that delineate ancient dwellings, and a 60-foot-long row of intricately carved granite and sandstone petroglyphs that appear to date to shortly before the arrival of the Spanish in the fifteenth century.

Ghosts of the Taino

Just a little research.:bored:

"...the first of what could be as many as 400 prehistoric burials..." quoted from the ref article Ghosts of the Taino. This is pure speculation. Show me the bones of the Taino. Again, the Taino did not bury their dead. Again, I have a large cemi carved from basalt rock, and I want to get rid of it. Any suggestions?