Pro Camera on Las Galeras,Playita, Ricon,Fronton, Madam safe?

TheMailManJim

Oct 12, 2010
Hello I will be going to Las Galeras and want to bring my Nikon gear. There seems to be lots of talk of crime in the area so I would like advice on bringing my camera to the remote beaches.
Do I need security? When I am snorkelling will the captain of the boat watch my camera gear? If we hike from Las Galaras should we hire a guide ? Is that enough to be safe?
I would keep it in a bag out of sight exept when I shoot .
Thanks for your thoughts,
Jim

ratbastard

May 15, 2010
Jim,

I have done this many times, also with Nikon. I have walked, driven, gone by dinghy but nearly always in the presence of others. I have never had a problem or the hint of a problem. Like anywhere else on the planet -- keep your wits about you. Enjoy, it's special.
ratbastard

Berliner

Aug 9, 2007
There might be lots of talk but it is not more than everywhere else.
I would not let anything unattended at the beach. Ususally thieves look for money or something which can be easily cashed. There are few "customers" for expensive cameras.
The captain of the boat can watch your belongings when he stays with you, but sometimes they drop you of at the beach, leave and pick you up later.
To hire a guide is a good idea and enough to be safe because he not only knows the area but also the people who might hang around waiting for an opportunity.

Don't worry to much, you would regret not to bring your camera.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I agree with the above. If I had listened to relatives, and a photojournalist I met, I would only have taken photos with my cell phone.:ermm:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
This bag will make your expensive camera less obvious...
http://cloakbags.com

Yeah right,
if you want to look like soneone who has something to hide and get into difficulty then go ahead and declare your innocence to the world.

You think people will be impressed by your camera?

The D.R. is not as economically retarded as you seem to think.

Yours will be one of many mid-range cameras in the area.

Just make sure you do not drive your lame hire car into some Dominican's Carrera.
Then you would really be in trouble.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Yeah right,
if you want to look like soneone who has something to hide and get into difficulty then go ahead and declare your innocence to the world.

You think people will be impressed by your camera?

The D.R. is not as economically retarded as you seem to think.

Yours will be one of many mid-range cameras in the area.

Just make sure you do not drive your lame hire car into some Dominican's Carrera.
Then you would really be in trouble.

You really need to switch to beer amigo.

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
Never hear that someone needed security in Las Galeras, Samana.

their was someone napped there before times i read,I think they were found later

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
If someone steals a very recognizable camera like that they could most certainly be caught with it at the very least when they try to sell it. They would steal things that are liquid only, like cash.

I've seen purses stolen from homes and a day later when the girls were sitting on their porch at night the purse came flying up onto the porch from the street below. With everything, minus the cash, in the purse. Even credit cards were there.

That was about 7 years ago and things are a little different but most beaches that you go to will have someone that their best interests include a safe reputation for their beach. Restaurant owners, beach vendors etc. If you go off to a more secluded beach you should travel with someone local that you can trust.

I feel just as safe here as I would in a bigger city back home. There is much less violent crimes, especially towards tourists here than just about anywhere. Petty theft is maybe a little bit higher than a normal urban area somewhere else but you can protect yourself from that with common sense.

PapaGG

May 31, 2010
Nikon

Go and enjoy the various sights! That's what it's all about. Take your camera and camera bag with gear. I would be surprised if you got hassled. If your being an "@ss", then maybe.

Take pictures, be respectful and use your head.

Oh, one more thing... leave your bag unattended on the beach, in any country: Canada, US, Brazil, Mexico, UK etc. and you will probably loose it. It's not just a DR thing.

I have the Nikon D40, great camera, durable, greart pics and easy to edit.

Saludos