carrying gifts/school supplies to DR

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
i have heard that one can get a baggage exemption for carrying school supplies and such. does anyone have any info on this before i check with the airline? we usually carry school supplies and baseball stuff. we would carry much more if we didn't get charged for the extra bag. thanks, ben

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
Good Morning,
I've taken down 1 large duffle bag of baseball equipment(pads, bats, balls, gloves, caps, socks and 2 full sets of uniforms) for a boys league in POP. I had a letter from the donating team here saying "yes this is donated stuff" and a letter from the receiving team saying "yes we're expecting the gear". Presented the letters to the Westjet desk and was allowed to bring it...n/c. When I got to POP, I showed the airport guy my letters ( I also had a letter in the duffle bag incase someone was snooping hoping they would leave the stuff alone since it was for kids), he asked me a bunch of questions but in the end, I went thru no problem and no extra charge.
Good luck:bunny:

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Best to get the permissions in place ahead of time. Work with a local group in getting your letter done and present to the airline via email or fax. They will likely grant you permission and then you are set. If you want more info just PM me.