Usufruct of landed property

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
Chances are that my dominican wife will survive me.
Although I have after eleven years of marriage all the trust in the world for her I would prefer that all property will be owned by our three children with slightly different divisions. I want to make sure that my wife will benefit from the rentals after I 'd left this planet but has not the power to sell or mortgage any existing property.

She is a great and loyal person and we have been able to keep the greedy part of the family at bay but who really knows when bad ideas could without my physical and psychological presence give influence from the wrong side of the family that is luckily hiding away from us after they already stole some property from my wife when her father died some ten years ago.

After that they came up with some crappy buisiness ideas for a family mausoleum.
My wife owns about 30 square feet at a local cementary given by an aunt in the capital. I told her in any case not to worry about my remains when the time has come and to burn whatever is left of me and throw it in the next garbage can.

The leeches of her father's side leave us pretty much alone but I know they are only hiding.

I must explain that the people from my mother in laws side are all very honest, never ask me for a dime, are helpful and extremely well behaved.

All our property is in my name. How would effect me the usufruct document taxwise. Would it be better to found a company and pass it to the kids when they are older ?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You should know that Dominican law provides for your heirs in a fairly logical manner.

You are allowed to give away a certain percentage of your property to third parties (Ask Mr. Guzman for specifics on this).

Upon your demise, the wife gets half of all your combined assets and the children get the other half.

You will have to see a good lawyer to ease your worries but that is about it.

HB

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
@HB : Thank you for your advice. I definitely have to see a lawyer for legal and tax situation. My wife agrees to sign over all properties to the kids when they have a certain age.

I guess the best strategy is to stay alive long enough to see everything in reasonable hands.:bunny:

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Transferring property to the children is not advisable for several reasons. There are better ways to plan your estate, have your wife protected when you pass away, etc. Consult an attorney who knows estate planning.

Reactions: woofsback