Car rental

fungi1951

Oct 6, 2010
We have a condo in Bavaro, coming for the second time this year, for 5 weeks this winter. Rented twice from Avis, the experience was good. But I was wondering if their is local car rental place for long term local rentals? I nice the have a car the whole time there.

agw

Feb 14, 2010
Last winter we rented from Europcar with much better rates than the other rental companys, and just this evening booked with them again for all of March 2011. The rate we got was $100 less than Avis on the model we choose. They had a really nice professional young woman working there last year (at the main shop near El Cortecito) who spoke excellent English and who solved a problem we had quickly and efficiently. We checked out a few local companies last year and none of them could even come close to the rates we got from Europcar.

You get the best rates by booking online in advance. You will never get the same rate when you just show up.

P.S. We rented from Avis 2 years ago in Puerto Plata and they were great there then. Same car make and model from both places so rates are directly comparable.

baby bori

May 18, 2010
If you guys are ever in santiago or have friends coming to santiago stay away from kendrick rent a car on avenida hispanoamericano!!! Bad service sneaky lady owner who tries to con the customers right there on the spot and the guys working there are shady and their lot is a dump!!!

agw

Feb 14, 2010
Robert, thanks for the link! The prices we were offered at the counter last year were not as good as what I see online now... just sent the link to my partner and we may change our booking! I always like to support the independent businesses over the chains when I can!
One question: do any of the staff speak English? While my partner speaks Spanish fluently, I'm still learning and I'd like to let our friends who are also heading that way this winter know. They don't have any Spanish yet.
Thanks.

Last edited: