about to buy a land to construct

Lino

Oct 20, 2010
Hi there,
im doing not so bad in english, but my main language is french. So if there is anyone who can lend me a ears, i got tons of questions.

im about to buy a piece of land , do some contruction on it, and i just wanna make sure that everything is ok.

Thx

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Have a good lawyer.... good title ... good survey..... des linde

That will be a start.

I have done this..... it is not hard..... a good lawyer will help you.
He stopped me from buying some bad land.... bad title.

Where is the land?

WW

Reactions: Bronxboy

buggabagang

Jan 5, 2010
find out if you have good neighbors???
get a pile of CASH and find a good contractor that can be trusted.
make sure the area is secure.
be prepared to lose some hair in the building process.
think about buying an existing house - already built!!

Jan 5, 2006
First with the buying of land; get a good lawyer to do all the due diligence of checking out the land, title, survey, liens, deslinde, taxes due, etc. Be warned that there are tons of scams being perpetrated by what appear to be honest sellers. A good lawyer will save you from any future headaches.

After you buy the land, and are ready to build, get an architect/engineer to draw up the plans, if these are necessary for the type of home that you want to build. Simple type homes do not require this. For the actual construction, hire a "maestro" to manage and supervise the construction, instead of the architect. The maestro will also assist you in hiring the different tradesmen needed, and in negotiating prices for materials and labor.

The best way to find good, qualified people to hire (lawyer, architect, maestro, tradesmen, etc.) is from referrals. Keep in mind that ALL PRICES in DR are negotiable, so don't be afraid to make lowball offers and then negotiate from there.

I also suggest that you read this entire thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/63016-homebuilding-dr-inexpensive-dominican-way.html It's a sticky for a reason. ;) Good luck!

Reactions: Bronxboy

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
More importantly , have you lived here, in the DR long enough to make this decision?

If this is your first post I would highly recomend you take pause and do some research about living here as you may regret this investment and not be able to liquidate it.

This has distaster written all over it in any language !

Lino

Oct 20, 2010
Wow, many thx for all those answer, here the answer to yours question.

William webster : in the montellano area, fairly close to pop, sosua or airport. Do you know any trust worthty lawer there ?

buggabagang : there is no neighboor at all , that is a piece of land , enough big to support a long term building process. About cash, do you know where i can found plan for houses or evaluation of the cost to build a structure?

Hipocrito Mejia : and do you know any good maestro ?

mike l : I did live and work in puerto plata during a full year, made a few good contact also. there is no plan made about liquidation, since im planning to live there again. But anything could happen so i would gladly take your info about that situation ?

Many thx again

Lino