Life in DR, Life in Canada...Pros & Cons???

C

Christine

I am a Canadian, married to a Dominican and living in Santo Domingo for the last 3 years.

My husband and I are deciding whether or not we will stay here or move to Canada and I am completely overwhelmed with making the decision! Everything seems to be split right up the middle. For example, one of the benefits of living in Canada is the health insurance however life there is more stressful and I love the Dominican easy going approach to life. Both Toronto and Santo Domingo are expensive cities to live in however in Toronto you don't pay "extra" for having regular electricity and hot water.

Anyway, before ripping my hair out I was wondering if any of you out ther have gone through opr made the decision that we are making now. How are things working out for those of you married to Dominicans and living in Canada or the USA? What about Canadians or American married to Dominicans and living in the DR?

Anybody willing to offer any pros and cons of life in either country your comments will be greatly appreciated. Both countries definitely have their share of each.

Thank you!

C

carol

I'm also married to a Dominican and I lived in La Romana for about a year with my husband. We decided it would better to live here , so I left to Canada to start the procedure of bringing him over(Visa application's and all that).

I find it better here also because of the Health care. Also, I find there is more freedom here than their might be down there. Another reason was that you can make more money in your Job here in Canada or the States. Don't get me wrong, if you had a good job down there you would be well off, but there is only a small percentage of these job's out in the market. I love the DR. My parent's are from there and I go there many times. We will always have a home down there where we can take our vacations, so I feel that I have the best of both world's. I'm glad to share this information with you and I hope you come up with a decision and I wish you and your husband lot's of luck in your marriage.

J

Jodi

Hi Christine...I've sent you an e-mail about my situation...basically I concur with what Carol's saying. Carol, how far into the process are you to bring your husband over. I'm going through it right now. It's so difficult to get any info from the Canadian embassy in Haiti. If you have any tips, I sure would appreciate them!