Gaining copy of wedding certificate

lucys-p

Oct 21, 2010
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!!

Im in need of help/advice as im getting slightly desperate!!

I got married in Peurto plata dominican republic in August 2006. I am from the UK as was my husband....It didnt work out and i am now wanting a divorce. I have not got a copy of the ,marriage certificate and need a copy to begin with the divorce....

Easy you may think?? Not!! I have tried contacting hotel i got married at, the Dominican embassy in London, the travel agent i travelled with, the county judges office in the DR and still I am getting nowhere...

Can someone advise what I can do or is there anyone who has been in the same situation?? any help would be appreciated

L

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!!

Im in need of help/advice as im getting slightly desperate!!

I got married in Peurto plata dominican republic in August 2006. I am from the UK as was my husband....It didnt work out and i am now wanting a divorce. I have not got a copy of the ,marriage certificate and need a copy to begin with the divorce....

Easy you may think?? Not!! I have tried contacting hotel i got married at, the Dominican embassy in London, the travel agent i travelled with, the county judges office in the DR and still I am getting nowhere...

Can someone advise what I can do or is there anyone who has been in the same situation?? any help would be appreciated

L
Did you register your wedding with your local registrar when you returned from the DR? If not then I don't think you are legally married in the eyes of the UK authorities. Might be worth googling.
Regards
Ian & Ellie

lucys-p

Oct 21, 2010
I dont believe i did to be honest?? i sent off my cert that i was given in the dr to be translated into english and i never got it back..... which is where the problem started!
what would you suggest looking under if i google it??
Thanks for your reply
Lucy

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
I dont believe i did to be honest?? i sent off my cert that i was given in the dr to be translated into english and i never got it back..... which is where the problem started!
what would you suggest looking under if i google it??
Thanks for your reply
Lucy
Not sure to be honest bu you might try
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question index?qid=20090911073755AAH1iQn

Just google anything about fereign (DR) weddings and their legitamacy in the UK.
Regards
Ian & Ellie

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Did you register your wedding with your local registrar when you returned from the DR? If not then I don't think you are legally married in the eyes of the UK authorities. Might be worth googling.
Regards
Ian & Ellie

Although this information might be (basically) correct, it would be advisable to get the original Wedding Document from over here, get it translated by the official translator over here & then shipped to yourself. There are TWO ways you can handle this:

1) Contact the tour company that organised the Wedding for you & ask them to forward you a copy certificate,
2) contact the British Consul in Puerto Plata & ask him to obtain a copy certificate, get it translated & then sent on to you.

If the Tour Company was First Choice, you may have to wait sometime as their 'system' is is flawed with personal inefficiencies - someone waited 4 years & still had not received his copy!

The cost for extracting the copy certificate is RD $800 (?14), the cost of TWO (recommended) translations is RD $800 each (total therefore ?28) plus a DHL or similar secure delivery to you (approx ?23) ...... TOTAL is ?65.

Speak with Mendez who is the British Consul on (int. code) + 809 586 4244 or write to him on Genni_Mendez@hotmail.com to see what you can arrange between the two of you. Should you have further problems then write me a PM or (better still) send me an e-mail via DR1.

Good luck ~ Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Now that is how you do things!!! yessir!

HB

But it STILL didn't get any response HB. NO PM received, No e-mail & NO acknowledgement here. N A D A!!! :rolleyes:

Someone who DID acknowledge & express his thanks recently had me running around on his behalf organising all of the above personally - even got it shipped back to the UK by special SECURE courier right to his door!!

But then he WAS appreciative of the time & effort some of us put in to helping others so he got the FULL special treatment!! ~ Grahame.