what to bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordand

Apr 4, 2009
My wife and I are going to a resort for 4 weeks that we have stayed at twice belore and have got to know some of the staff fairly well. My question is- what would be a nice gift to give-bring-for an employee who has a two year old daughter. We are truly blessed to live where we live and would like to bring something that may not be as easy to get in the DR as is here.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
How about a dora or princesses backpack filled with a little doll, outfit, book etc.

Our daughter will be 2 very soon and wears her mini dora backpack around the house constantly....she is forever putting things in and taking them out.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
for the little girl i would suggest several learning toys
you can pick up alot at a dollar store
hair clips
socks
books for learning
clothes

at thier age toys don't last long so spending 10-20 dollars at a dollar store would give her lots of variety

for the parent just get something personal that they cannot get in the dr.

May 29, 2006
Nice new children's shoes and socks in various sizes would be very appreciated. I agree with hair items too. They love to braid their kids' hair.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Magna Doodle

My favorite writing "toy" is a magna doodle from Fischer Price. (They have a magnetic pen that wipes clean.) My 8 year old still uses his. They now come in all sizes including travel. Books, books, and books if you can get them in Spanish, and quality play/art stuff (play do, markers, etc. from Crayola) are not always available.
(I hate cheap Chinese stuff in school supplies and it seems like that's what you find.)

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Cash is king in the DR so give cash believe me it could be stretched out for the employee and his daughter's expenses!!! This is a country where staff salary is quite inferior compared to other countries including tips some of these employees receive they still severely struggle to make ends meet. I know you have a good heart and mean well take it simple avoid the hassle of buying gifts and just supply the cash the employee with have a greater smile on his/her face!!!

lordand

Apr 4, 2009
baby bori

Your advise is right on,as a gringo we all always try to tip good and hope that money trickles down through the famileys,etc. we are so lucky to live the life style we do

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
We really struggle to get quality toys, they have some really crap stuff here that usually last a few days after getting it home. Fisher price for good quality costs an absolute bomb here, we just paid 3000pesos for a small little sit down ride along dudah, really nothing to it. Hair clips and stuff are dirt cheap here, clothes are also cheap if you find the right stores, shoes? We just paid 1000 pesos for a new pair of ocean pacific sneakers, seems reasonable.
What we have found would be appreciated more than anything else is early learning stuff. Blank books for writing/drawing etc are dirt cheap but anything for learning Is shockingly expensive. I ask my mother to send stuff over, even from the UK it works out cheaper with postal costs than buying here.

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Anastacio the fact that learning materials tend to be quite expensive is sad and atrocious!!!! These learning materials are crucial towards changing apathetic mentality towards education in the DR. What US and European citizens and their children take for granted should be highly valued in developing countries!!

Status
Not open for further replies.