How to get a divorce from dominicano spouse

toshp37

Oct 26, 2010
I am new here and need some help. I married my dominican husband in June 2009 in Santo Domingo. We were married by a civil servant and I have no clue if the marriage was registered or not. He was using me and I have ended the relationship and now need to know what to do in order to divorce him. How do I find out if the marriage is even legal and if it is legal, what steps must I take to end the marriage? Any solid advice would be greatly appreciated.

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
Do you have the wedding certificate? If you do, check the back of it. If there is a sticker with a bar code and signature, it has been registered. Maybe one of the moderators can help you with the rest.
You can try the search function, as this has been discussed ad infinitum on these boards.
Sorry to hear things didn't work out.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If your husband is still in the DR and he agrees to a quick divorce here is the info.

DR1 - Legal

If he is in your country look into getting one there but again if he is in agreement and there's nothing to settle you can still get a fast divorce in the DR but one of you will have to travel to Santo Domingo.

Good luck

toshp37

Oct 26, 2010
Thanks for the info...he is still there but not sure if he will agree to it or not. I will take a look at the info you gave me..thanks again.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Divorces are not all that expensive in the DR. Yours was a civil marriage so getting the documents should not be difficult, since you have a copy with the bar code.

It will, however, necesitate a trip down here to file the papers. Talk to Mr. Guzman and let him guide you...

HB

toshp37

Oct 26, 2010
Actually if he would agree to the divorce, he could go without me as only one party needs to be present. I just got off the phone with him and he will not agree to it so guess I'm stuck?!

toshp37

Oct 26, 2010
I wondered that as well. I think I will contact a lawyer here in Canada to see what my options are since he will not agree to it. I cannot believe I will be forced to be married to him forever because he won't agree to a divorce.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
So in a case like tosch's...when does the 1 year of separation start if they were never living together?

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
If he's not here yet, she should let immigration know immediately and file for divorce here. If no living together, there will be no separation wait time.

I find it very sad that women really feel they are loved - the only one - just to find out it was all a lie. Even if the man 'loves you' and wants to make a life and change once he's here in Canada - if you find out about any indiscretions while he was there - the trust is gone - the relationship is over.

Boys ... be nice. Don't need the same old comments. I'm serious.

toshp37

Oct 26, 2010
But does there have to be some sort of separation agreement written up? We have been "separated" since August 31/10 but that could easily become a he said she said situation.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Once a year of separation is up, you can divorce him on your own in Canada.

She doesn't have to wait one year. One year of separation is not the only ground for the breakdown of their marriage. She should contact a lawyer maybe she could have an annulment of the marriage.

Divorce

8. (1) A court of competent jurisdiction may, on application by either or both spouses, grant a divorce to the spouse or spouses on the ground that there has been a breakdown of their marriage.
Breakdown of marriage

(2) Breakdown of a marriage is established only if

(a) the spouses have lived separate and apart for at least one year immediately preceding the determination of the divorce proceeding and were living separate and apart at the commencement of the proceeding; or
(b) the spouse against whom the divorce proceeding is brought has, since celebration of the marriage,
(i) committed adultery, or

(ii) treated the other spouse with physical or mental cruelty of such a kind as to render intolerable the continued cohabitation of the spouses.

toshp37

Oct 26, 2010
Ok, no we never lived together...he has always been in the Dominican Republic and I have been here in Canada. I think I will just contact a lawyer to find out exactly what my options are. Thank you so much for all of your help :)

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Truly sad to read this and all the frustration Tosh is going through. The government should just imprison all these scumbag con artests marrying foreign women just for the paperwork and/or spousal monetary dependency. In prison these scumbags should be obliged to work everyday until released!!! These jerks are nothinf but predators on good hard working responsable people!!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Truly sad to read this and all the frustration Tosh is going through. The government should just imprison all these scumbag con artests marrying foreign women just for the paperwork and/or spousal monetary dependency. In prison these scumbags should be obliged to work everyday until released!!! These jerks are nothinf but predators on good hard working responsable people!!

The good thing Tosh learned the truth before her husband got a visa a became a legal burden to her in Canada.

Good Luck Tosh!

toshp37

Oct 26, 2010
I do not blame him and only him. I allowed it to happen so I am just as much at fault as he is really. I got to travel a lot, see places I wouldn't have seen otherwise and I have no regrets. I just want out now and not sure how to do it.

I appreciate all the responses though :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tosh: I applaud the way you handled this situation and the fact that you will seek legal council in Canada is proof of that.
Too bad it didn't work out, but then no blood no foul, so you were lucky.

HB