Sosua Ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
The new Mayor, (alcantera) is doing some new things.
You can't miss the roads being fixed, the trash being cleaned, the weeds and trees being chopped, the chicas being picked up, the street boys being fewer, the money changers going amiss, the corner food sellers gone. They're talking about closing off the street views of the discos. Closing them in, but not down.
Did I mention the jogging path between El Batey Sosua and Charamicos, and the new lights about town?
This woman has a vision.
It will be an uphill battle.
I salute her, thus far.
Muy buena suerte Ilana.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
You can't miss the roads being fixed, the trash being cleaned, the weeds and trees being chopped, the chicas being picked up, the street boys being fewer, the money changers going amiss, the corner food sellers gone. They're talking about closing off the street views of the discos. Closing them in, but not down.
Did I mention the jogging path between El Batey Sosua and Charamicos, and the new lights about town?
This woman has a vision.
I salute her, thus far.
Muy buena suerte Ilana.

Excellent work and I agree, because if I want BBQ chicken I go to Charamicos which is only a hop skip and a jump from Sosua!

Reactions: Bronxboy

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
This woman has a vision.
I salute her, thus far.
Muy buena suerte Ilana.

Trash being picked - yes
Weeds and trees - half and half with CDE
Food sellers / There are less (At least tonight) Let's wait untill the weekend
Chicas / Arrested everyone for a few days but tonight it looks like a go (Thank goodness)
Money changers / Dunno
Muy buena suerte Ilana / I agree

Why should the discos be enclosed? People like to have a beer listen to music and look at good looking women in the beautiful weather of DR. If you dont like the music, the beers or the women stay inside your little gated in community and go play with yourself, Let the rest of us have some fun.

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com

You can't miss the roads being fixed, yes
the trash being cleaned, yes
the weeds and trees being chopped, yes
the chicas being picked up, no
the street boys being fewer, yes
the money changers going amiss, yes
the corner food sellers gone. no
They're talking about closing off the street views of the discos. no

This woman has a vision.
I salute her, thus far.
Muy buena suerte Ilana.

Just my two cents...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i noticed the litter was twice as bad after they picked it all up and cut the grass around by the old carwash as you could now see everything thats dumped one day later - so its a losing battle unless they start doing free garbage collection

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The woman has only been in office since August and reportedly the financial coffers are bare, yet there are already signs that efforts are being made to improve the town.

She will be the mayor for 6 years and based on performance in the first days there is reason to believe that at the end of the term that Sosua is a better place.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
Why should the discos be enclosed? People like to have a beer listen to music and look at good looking women in the beautiful weather of DR. If you dont like the music, the beers or the women stay inside your little gated in community and go play with yourself, Let the rest of us have some fun.

Well said!

This area is no more than a couple of hundred yards!!! In trying to "fix" Sosua, make sure you do not destroy it.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
They want to change (clean up) the look & reputation of Sosua. Tough road but certainly do-able.

As less chicas get off the bus at Caribe Tours on Friday afternoons (due to the crackdown), there will be less gringos coming to town for chicas, and then you'll see gringo/chica based businesses start to close their doors. I'm guessing that will take a year or two.

Seacrits - I don't know how they stay open, should have closed long ago
Latinos - I would bet they may be one of the first big ones to close their doors.
Classicos - When they close the upstairs, you'll know the end is near.

The garbage is a tough one...you can always clean up, but you really have to change peoples attitudes about throwing garbage in gutters, on the street, on empty lots, just dropping it anywhere really, etc. That's going to be hard to accomplish.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I hope the new mayor is successful in her efforts to improve Sosua. Good for her.

I don't suppose there is any way for people like us who own a home and spend half the year there to help her but if there is, maybe someone will let us know.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I hope the new mayor is successful in her efforts to improve Sosua. Good for her.

I don't suppose there is any way for people like us who own a home and spend half the year there to help her but if there is, maybe someone will let us know.

Give me your address and I will send an evaluator over to prepare municipal taxes on your property. We thank you very much for wanting to help. ;)

Reactions: badpiece33

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
We should be paying something to the municipal government.

This might be off-topic but where does the money for the municipal budget come from?

My town (schools, police, roads) in the States is mostly funded by property taxes, ouch! My state is funded by income and sales taxes, ouch!!!

May 29, 2006
Just read somewhere that they repaired a whole bunch of potholes caused by broken sewage pipes. Instead of just patching the holes like they have been doing for ten years, she also had the septic pipes fixed. Also some free health care and dental clinics for the town for a while. Sounds all good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.