Help with materials needed to be married in DR

eugenedmngz

Oct 30, 2010
Hi, I'm going to DR this winter (December 24th) to be exact. Me and my girlfriend of 11 years plan to marry this winter in DR. She's currently living there, and was born and raised there so she's a citizen. I however am American born and not a dominican citizen. Browsing the internet I've found out I'd need something called a single status affidavit to be able to marry. Alongside with my passport and birth certificate. I was just wondering if there was any way I could fill out the single status affidavit over there? and if anyone would be able to tell me the price on paying for one over there that'd be great thanks!

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Yes, you can do a single status affidavit in the DR. Any lawyer can help you with that, then just take that paper and get it... oh man, I can't remember the term... (legalized? officialized? certified? LOL)... anyways, you gotta take it to get a stamp of approval. The lawyer will tell you where to go. If you're in Santo Domingo it'll be at a building across the street from the US Consulate on Gomez.

Your Long form US birth certificate MUST BE translated and certified at the DR EMBASSY/CONSULATE IN THE US ONLY. They will not certify it at the Consellaria in the DR at all. Just a heads up on that... My friend got burned on that and I almost did too last year.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The name of the form is ; Certificado de solteria.

JJ

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
by all means go ahead and get married but if you want to bring your new wife to the US or Canada it will be faster to apply for a fiance visa. you can get married in the DR, you'll just have to do it again back in the states. good luck, just don't let the paperwork make you nuts.......

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
by all means go ahead and get married but if you want to bring your new wife to the US or Canada it will be faster to apply for a fiance visa. you can get married in the DR, you'll just have to do it again back in the states. good luck, just don't let the paperwork make you nuts.......

Canada does not have a fianc?e visa.;)

Why in the world would he have to get married again in the states if he marries in the DR?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
get married in the DR, just don't tell the US consul, have a nice church affair, white gown, reception, big cake, expect to pay for it all, honeymoon in a cabana, dominican style. but if your plan is to bring the new bride/husband to the US it is faster to apply for a fiance visa....i had some newlyweds stay at my penthouse for a while in SD, they were married in the DR. at immigration they got tripped up when the interviewer asked who took the first shower in the morning. my apt has 4.5 bathrooms, i don't use the master bath as i prefer not to look at piles of hair care products, underwear hanging out to dry, don't like to get tangled up in electrical chords for hair dryer, hair comb, cell phone charger, can't find "my toothbrush", etc. i use the bathroom for the bedroom next door, it's all mine and has no mess, no females allowed. but beware this question in an immigration interview. applying for a fiance visa is a faster way to get your beloved dominicana into the U.S., and because in the interview nobody knew who took the first shower they were denied and he was far from poor. they had a legit 100% legal wedding in SD....... my sister in law (dominican) married a dominican guy who came to the U.S. when he was a child, he became a naturalized U.S. citizen, they got married in the DR. he was unaware that at age 18 he was recquired to register with the military draft board (no wars were being fought at the time thanks to pres. carter), that threw up a red flag with immigration and it took 7 years, lawyers, to bring his wife and by that time 6 year old daughter to the US, he was also far from poor. by comparison it took 2 years to bring my wife of now 20 years to the U.S. on a fiance visa. i understand it's quicker now, somewhat. Canada, although part of the U.S. may have different rules.......ha, ha, ha, i know i pi77ed somebody off........Quebec is different though, it is a part of France............

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
ex Canada, although part of the U.S. may have different rules.......ha, ha, ha, i know i pi77ed somebody off........Quebec is different though, it is a part of France............

OMG I'm going to fall off my chair from laughing.

Please do not pay any attention to what this poster is writing. What this guy is saying is get married in the DR and pretend it never happened when it comes time to petitioning your wife to the US. Pretend she is your fianc?e is what he's saying. Yeah right what's wrong with this picture? I'm sure at the interview she'll remember all the right things to say.

How do you spell Fraud?

Last edited:

eugenedmngz

Oct 30, 2010
Alright so I can get the Single Status Certificate in spanish and certified by the attorney in DR, does anyone know roughly how much this will set me back in pesos?

Also form what I told I need to take my birth certificate in spanish and certified by an attorney. Is there anyway to do that in DR or do I need to handle that while I'm in the states?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i like the radio stations in Quebec, they play good music and the announcers use the F - word.....in english! therefore Quebec is a colony of France. nothing to be ashamed of, i love the french, they just had rioting in the streets for a week because retirement age was adjusted to 62 from 60, my kind of country, people stick together. Americans would rather watch it on TV, lazy bastards, fat. be proud to be french............i also believe that texas, new mexico, southern california is now part of Mexico.

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Consider yourself forewarned

eugenedmngz, your birth certificate cannot be dealt with in the DR until a Dominican Embassy or Consulate IN the United States translates and legalizes and certifies it. I can't stress how important this is. I'm speaking from first hand experience.

1. My very close Dominican friend married an American in Sept 2009 and she was advised by her lawyer that her husband-to-be could bring his birth certificate and get it translated and legalized in the DR. The lawyer was WRONG! The consellaria would NOT, I repeat, NOT LEGALIZE OR CERTIFY it. They informed my friend that the birth certificate can ONLY BE LEGALIZED AT THE DOMINICAN EMBASSY OR CONSULATE IN THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN. PERIOD. This resulted in some major reshuffling, long distance phone calls, and fed-exing to get the document sent back to the US to a friend, who then ran it to the DR Consulate in New York, paid the fees, got it legalized and certified, and fed-exed back... delayed the wedding by a full week. Thank God his family wasn't there and out-of-pocket for an event that couldn't take place on time due to some very incorrect advice.

2. Based on the same incorrect advice by MY Dominican lawyer (this goes to show how incompetant these so-called professionals are) I found myself in the same predicament but unable to change my date that was already set (also in Sept 2009 - ironcially our weddings were only a week apart). Thankfully I got the heads up with what happened to my friend's husband. Since I'd been in the DR since August, I couldn't just go back to Toronto to get this done (I was still in the last-minute planning stages of my wedding and going nuts enough), and I had 6 people from my side already booked to attend. My solution was a bit different based on my time restraints. I bribed a government official to "magically" make my birth certificate legalized and certified (as it had already been translated in the DR).

If you choose to listen to other posters or even take the advice of a Dominican lawyer in the DR that tell you it can be done in the DR, you will be getting the disappointment of your life when you go to the municipal office to register the paperwork for your marriage. Be prepared to make a trip back to the US, go through the fed-ex shuffle, or get your cash ready for some bribes. Consider yourself forewarned.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I don't remember exactly how the process went but I did do a single status declaration and got it stamped at my parents lawyer office but after that I had to send the paperwork to the Dominican Republic Embassy in Toronto and if i remember correctly they stamped it also and I picked up the papers before heading to the DR...

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Hi, I'm going to DR this winter (December 24th) to be exact. Me and my girlfriend of 11 years plan to marry this winter in DR. She's currently living there, and was born and raised there so she's a citizen. I however am American born and not a dominican citizen. Browsing the internet I've found out I'd need something called a single status affidavit to be able to marry. Alongside with my passport and birth certificate. I was just wondering if there was any way I could fill out the single status affidavit over there? and if anyone would be able to tell me the price on paying for one over there that'd be great thanks!

Congrats on your upcoming marriage!!. As an US citizen that married a Dominican citizen 6 years ago this dec. I can relate the following: does your wife to- be know an attorney? (best to be close to one and one that is a notary- "notario") if so, it all becomes very simple. I do suggest that you also have a pre-nup drawn up.The whole deal should cost little money. Keep all docs. I hope you have kept pictures, money sent etc. over the past years to document your long relationship should you proceed towards a spousal visa. Feel free to PM me if you care for more detailed info.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
You need birth certificate, and divorce certificate (if you are divorced), or Single Status Certificate (if you are never married), all in Spanish, certified (by attorney).

You can also pay a judge, to go to remote location for getting married. (beachfront, hotel etc.).

Double check who is the judge, as on my invitation I have printed the name: Hector, who is a driver of the judge. (OMG).

You can also choose to be married by a Civil Offical. You can negotiate the cost with this person, whether in their office or the site of your choosing. When we were married he recorded in his offical register while we watched. We returned later for the offical doc. My wife then had it offically registered and stamped in Santo Domingo.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yah, but dont' Quebec that, they'd like to think they're a unique and independant country...LOL

Not the right time or place for this discussion.

To the OP, read genistar's post again.

eugenedmngz, your birth certificate cannot be dealt with in the DR until a Dominican Embassy or Consulate IN the United States translates and legalizes and certifies it. I can't stress how important this is. I'm speaking from first hand experience.

eugenedmngz

Oct 30, 2010
I really appreciate everyone posting the helpful information. I have one final question if anyone can answer it. When I go to the Dominican Consulate to have my birth certificate translated into spanish, do I need to take my long birth certificate or the short one? I lost my long one years ago and it'll be a hassle to obtain it but have my short one in my possession. If anyone could answer this, that would be great. Thanks!

Reactions: Tamborista

jcol488

Aug 11, 2010
I married a Dr lady in july of this year. I live in Puerto Rico right now. I am from Florida. I sent to Florida for a Apostille copy of my certified birth certificate. The appllcation was on line under Florida state website. It ask what country is was for. I paid the fee and they supplied it to me in two weeks. I took my Divorce decree from my previous marriage to the DR embassy here along with a copy of my wife's cedula. They filled out papers in spanish for my status of single stating my intentions to marry my DR wife. I sent those two papers by FED EX and a copy of my passport to my future wife in the DR. She took them to the local office there where we were going to get marrried. They reviewed them and all was well. Our marriage came off without a hitch. Good luck.
Jim

eugenedmngz

Oct 30, 2010
Hey all so today I got my single status affidavit. I got it translated and notorized by the dominican consulate in my town.

All I need to do now is get my birth certificate translated and notarized. I just have one question.

Can I use my short birth certificate to get married? I went to the consulate and they told me I needed my long certificate but the issue with that is that I don't have my long certificate. I ordered it through the department of vital records and paid for express shipping but in case I don't receive it in time is there any way to use my short certificate? thanks.