READ THIS if married or marrying a Dominicano national

solisdad2000

Aug 31, 2005
Seems that several threads follow this stream so I chose the Legal thread to site this - it seems most appropriate.

Well we?ve all read the other submissions that warn about marriage here in the DR or, really, marriage to a Dominicano national (no matter where that person lives). But now I?ve been a victim so can speak from real experience.

So, to sum it all up, if you are thinking of marrying a Dominicano national of either sex, then RUN AS FAST AND AS FAR AS YOU CAN. If you are already married to a Dominicano national of either sex, then find the best lawyer that you can NOW and no matter what you did to protect yourself, check it all. On NO account tell you Dominicano partner what you own or where it is. Keep no private documents anywhere where your partner can find them. Buy NOTHING in your own name (or his/hers).

In one line, the summary is, on NO account trust your partner, no matter how alien this is to your or our culture.

For legal reasons (this absurd country protects the guilty and penalises the innocent, no matter what the legal people say), I cannot talk about me or my ex as she could send me a "demand" (for money). So, if you see what I mean, I have a "friend" who was married for 10 years. His Dominicana wife represented that she loved him. But after 10 years, she slowly began stealing all the valuable objects in the house. When most had been hidden away, she filed for divorce and instantly stole the remaining items of value, other than furniture. Followingg the judge?s labelling of the furniture, she lay quiet until Partition started. Partition requires that the labels are removed from the furniture (and different labels are used instead). At this point she stole 1.5 million pesos of furniture, with the full knowledge of the Police, Fiscals, her and his lawyers, all her friends and most of the local public. Nobody did anything to help the ex-husband retrieve these to enter them into partition. Part way through the divorce, she attacked her ex-spouse, gouging his face three times on each side. POLITUR took the ex-wife to the Police and reported the incident to the Fiscalia where the Fiscals (2) refused to take any action, despite there having been 30 or more independent witnesses for her assault. At the same time, the ex-wife?s brother attempted to kill my "friend" with along metal pole but was prevented by a bystander. Also at the same time, a sister of the ex-wife shouted at her brother (referring to the ex-husband). "kill him, kill him". The Fiscalia did nothing. The entire family of th eex-wife generally participate in slandering the x-husband but the Fiscals take no action as there is no video recording as proof (as if anyone lives tied to a video recorder). Countless witnesses are ignored.

I could go on but I suspect anyone intelligent gets the point. Where my friend lives (Constanza), his view is that there is no law for foreigners and locals are free to abuse them. Exaclty why Fiscals appear to take this position is, again, difficult to state publicly but it isn?t difficult to work out what is going on.

The current President of the Dominican Republic is actively working to encourage both tourism and foreign investment, especially in Constanza. My fried thinks he?s either deaf and blind or very foolish (and my friend is an ardent supporter of the President and the PLD). Investment in the Dominican Republic is a waste of time as locals do not see or understand about any benefits of advancement or modernisation, all the locals see is an opportunity to steal (by whatever word applies - enganar, robar, etcetera).

I say again, do NOT marry a Dominicano and if you already have, seek a lawyer TODAY!!! (And dare I say it, do NOT trust your lawyer - triple check EVERYTHING with at least one other lawyer and independent intelligent friends).

Regards

Paul

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You know, Dominicans are all different. I trust my Dominican wife. She was raised correctly by her mother who is one of the most honest people I've ever met, in any country. My wife's best friend is a nun, and all her friends have been her friends since a young age. She never spends my money, and I have absolutely no concern about being taken for a ride by her. Take every person as an individual and do not malign a complete country. There are always 3 sides to a story, hers, his, and the truth.

elgordochulo78

Sep 1, 2009
you see this is what happens when gringos come down here and marry the first dominicana that gives you a piece of ass lol!!! oye mi hermano stay out of the barrios and quit wifeing up these trifling ass hoodrats!! because then when u get taken advantage of u want to label the whole country as thieves and con artists!! look man alot of u guys need to take classes on how to judge a persons character because i aint never heard so many sad stories in my life lol!!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Paul, I'm sorry for what you're going through.

That being said, I have to tell you that this could happen anywhere to anyone. I knew a well-to-do couple in the US who were married about 20 yrs when their marriage fell apart. He was British, she was American, both had movie-star looks. Same thing happened to the husband. She emptied the house and then began stealing items from his business [expensive antiques] - when he took her to court the judge said since the divorce wasn't final she still legally owned half the business and he couldn't stop her. He tried to do everything right, but she was a barracuda. When the business burglar alarm went off one Sunday he went to the business and confronted her with a gun - killed her and then killed himself.

I don't tell you this as a solution [God forbid!], but to show that this happens all over the world and you can't paint all Dominicans with the same brush. There are many good people in DR. Sh*t happens everywhere - don't blame the country.

AE

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
yawn.jpg

I recommend some of you stay out of the gutter as elgordochulo78 has suggested. Actually, his post is on the money!

Some of you are marrying some real losers!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Paul, I'm sorry for what you're going through.

That being said, I have to tell you that this could happen anywhere to anyone. I knew a well-to-do couple in the US who were married about 20 yrs when their marriage fell apart. He was British, she was American, both had movie-star looks. Same thing happened to the husband. She emptied the house and then began stealing items from his business [expensive antiques] - when he took her to court the judge said since the divorce wasn't final she still legally owned half the business and he couldn't stop her. He tried to do everything right, but she was a barracuda. When the business burglar alarm went off one Sunday he went to the business and confronted her with a gun - killed her and then killed himself.

I don't tell you this as a solution [God forbid!], but to show that this happens all over the world and you can't paint all Dominicans with the same brush. There are many good people in DR. Sh*t happens everywhere - don't blame the country.

AE

AE,
Using solisdad2000's words and what we can all see happened in your story above - it's fair to say that "to sum it all up, if you are thinking of marrying an American national of either sex, then RUN AS FAST AND AS FAR AS YOU CAN. If you are already married to an American national of either sex, then find the best lawyer that you can NOW and no matter what you did to protect yourself, check it all. On NO account tell your American partner what you own or where it is. Keep no private documents anywhere where your partner can find them. Buy NOTHING in your own name (or his/hers)."

ps: Solisdad... you're to be congratulated on your ability to paint with such broad strokes. It's a talent not everyone possesses.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I propose we delete this thread to get rid of this propaganda.

I've been married to a Dominican for ten years and while it hasn't been a bed of roses I'm sure our marriage is no better or worse than any other in the world today - that stay together anyway.

Furthermore, while my wife's family are poor and mostly uneducated they are as humble, honest and as good a people as I've met in this world and in fact are better classes of people than many of my own close family in the States. And some are not even religious per say. Oh well there goes that myth right out the door.

I've been married to a Dominican for ten years and while it hasn't been a bed of roses I'm sure our marriage is no better or worse than any other in the world today - that stay together anyway.

Furthermore, while my wife's family are poor and mostly uneducated they are as humble, honest and as good a people as I've met in this world and in fact are better classes of people than many of my own close family in the States. And some are not even religious per say. Oh well there goes that myth right out the door.

I totally agree with you.
I feel bad when couples break up and start getting at each others, but this is not proper to one nationality nor background. It is also sad to read such postings as if this happens only in the DR.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
just because you made the wrong choices doesn't mean EVERYONE will too
i have seen and heard enuf good relationships in the dr.

heard the horror stories as well
seems to me these same people would
or already did the same in thier own country

relationships aren't sorted out or located by country
they are done with 2 people who connect
when THEY work together it lasts..if they don't, IT WON'T
no amount of money will ever create love
that has to come from with in :)

ps...whirleybird, always love your posts :)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Seems that several threads follow this stream so I chose the Legal thread to site this - it seems most appropriate.

Well we?ve all read the other submissions that warn about marriage here in the DR or, really, marriage to a Dominicano national (no matter where that person lives). But now I?ve been a victim so can speak from real experience.

So, to sum it all up, if you are thinking of marrying a Dominicano national of either sex, then RUN AS FAST AND AS FAR AS YOU CAN. If you are already married to a Dominicano national of either sex, then find the best lawyer that you can NOW and no matter what you did to protect yourself, check it all. On NO account tell you Dominicano partner what you own or where it is. Keep no private documents anywhere where your partner can find them. Buy NOTHING in your own name (or his/hers).

In one line, the summary is, on NO account trust your partner, no matter how alien this is to your or our culture.

For legal reasons (this absurd country protects the guilty and penalises the innocent, no matter what the legal people say), I cannot talk about me or my ex as she could send me a "demand" (for money). So, if you see what I mean, I have a "friend" who was married for 10 years. His Dominicana wife represented that she loved him. But after 10 years, she slowly began stealing all the valuable objects in the house. When most had been hidden away, she filed for divorce and instantly stole the remaining items of value, other than furniture. Followingg the judge?s labelling of the furniture, she lay quiet until Partition started. Partition requires that the labels are removed from the furniture (and different labels are used instead). At this point she stole 1.5 million pesos of furniture, with the full knowledge of the Police, Fiscals, her and his lawyers, all her friends and most of the local public. Nobody did anything to help the ex-husband retrieve these to enter them into partition. Part way through the divorce, she attacked her ex-spouse, gouging his face three times on each side. POLITUR took the ex-wife to the Police and reported the incident to the Fiscalia where the Fiscals (2) refused to take any action, despite there having been 30 or more independent witnesses for her assault. At the same time, the ex-wife?s brother attempted to kill my "friend" with along metal pole but was prevented by a bystander. Also at the same time, a sister of the ex-wife shouted at her brother (referring to the ex-husband). "kill him, kill him". The Fiscalia did nothing. The entire family of th eex-wife generally participate in slandering the x-husband but the Fiscals take no action as there is no video recording as proof (as if anyone lives tied to a video recorder). Countless witnesses are ignored.

I could go on but I suspect anyone intelligent gets the point. Where my friend lives (Constanza), his view is that there is no law for foreigners and locals are free to abuse them. Exaclty why Fiscals appear to take this position is, again, difficult to state publicly but it isn?t difficult to work out what is going on.

The current President of the Dominican Republic is actively working to encourage both tourism and foreign investment, especially in Constanza. My fried thinks he?s either deaf and blind or very foolish (and my friend is an ardent supporter of the President and the PLD). Investment in the Dominican Republic is a waste of time as locals do not see or understand about any benefits of advancement or modernisation, all the locals see is an opportunity to steal (by whatever word applies - enganar, robar, etcetera).

I say again, do NOT marry a Dominicano and if you already have, seek a lawyer TODAY!!! (And dare I say it, do NOT trust your lawyer - triple check EVERYTHING with at least one other lawyer and independent intelligent friends).

Regards

Paul

Your buddy should have slapped ther sh*t out of her right when all this started. Today he would have the respect of her family and would still have a loving wife.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You are an idiot if you consider everyone else who has ended up in a relationship here has made the same dumbass mistakes you have. Find a nice piece of ass, way above hour possible average back home, marry her to make sure you have some kind of psychological grip on her, truely believe she will love you because you can spend money on stuff many dominican men don't (I wont say couldnt because you will find many good hard working men can afford to, they just aren't as desperate as some ex pat is to impress). What is it with all the marrying and disasters, I've had my ups and downs but it has all worked out well enough, but I am not going to get married for another good 5 years or so making our relationship 8+ years before I'd even consider it, if ever. Don't tell me you'll are marrying out of love for one another, and please don't tell me you believe and woman worth her weight would marry some super nurd, trainspotting, comic collecting, barrel bodied rusty old git with nothing at all in common out of love, respect and sexual desire. Your all frinkin nuts!!!!
If you f-ck up then fine, we've all done it at some point, if you can see no way of change in what you have decided to lay with then you have to move on, don't marry the tart expecting a piece of paper to change things.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009

HERE HERE!!! Could'nt have been said better!!!!

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
You know, Dominicans are all different. I trust my Dominican wife. She was raised correctly by her mother who is one of the most honest people I've ever met, in any country. My wife's best friend is a nun, and all her friends have been her friends since a young age. She never spends my money, and I have absolutely no concern about being taken for a ride by her. Take every person as an individual and do not malign a complete country. There are always 3 sides to a story, hers, his, and the truth.

Thanks Bob, As I responded to Chip. It's great to have people stand up. While I love my wife, it's the family that really makes it great for me.

you see this is what happens when gringos come down here and marry the first dominicana that gives you a piece of ass lol!!! oye mi hermano stay out of the barrios and quit wifeing up these trifling ass hoodrats!! because then when u get taken advantage of u want to label the whole country as thieves and con artists!! look man alot of u guys need to take classes on how to judge a persons character because i aint never heard so many sad stories in my life lol!!!!

sooooo true. I keep telling the powers that be on DR1 I need my own forum. Ask Dear Badpiece we could call it.

You are an idiot if you consider everyone else who has ended up in a relationship here has made the same dumbass mistakes you have. Find a nice piece of ass, way above hour possible average back home, marry her to make sure you have some kind of psychological grip on her, truely believe she will love you because you can spend money on stuff many dominican men don't (I wont say couldnt because you will find many good hard working men can afford to, they just aren't as desperate as some ex pat is to impress). What is it with all the marrying and disasters, I've had my ups and downs but it has all worked out well enough, but I am not going to get married for another good 5 years or so making our relationship 8+ years before I'd even consider it, if ever. Don't tell me you'll are marrying out of love for one another, and please don't tell me you believe and woman worth her weight would marry some super nurd, trainspotting, comic collecting, barrel bodied rusty old git with nothing at all in common out of love, respect and sexual desire. Your all frinkin nuts!!!!
If you f-ck up then fine, we've all done it at some point, if you can see no way of change in what you have decided to lay with then you have to move on, don't marry the tart expecting a piece of paper to change things.

Cmon guy if your gonna give some advise stop holding back, Speak your mind :)

baby bori

May 18, 2010
If and thats a big if you marry a dominican woman or man set the boundaries from the beginning. Be direct with a woman or man tell them you're not as well off economically speaking that you want to save money for the future to have in case of emergency and buy other things in the future. Don't promise them the world and glamour if you cannot provide it. Foreigners and expats need to be firm and put their foot down and if the man or woman changes or starts acting different or odd then walk away. I always tell my fiance I like to please however I expect for her to please me also and its not referring to intimacy( sex) but the other crucial elements in a solid durable relationship. Alot of this if the fault of foreigners and expats stop trying to buy these people and thinking that by providing them with money or materialistic things the person will love you NOOOOOOO. I told my fiance how it is and how things are and told her if you can't accept me and my thinking then its not meant to be!!!! I'm firm and assertive when it comes to money and economic situations!!!

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Damn... solisdad2000; "your friend" really knows how to pick 'em!!! You wanna paint all Dominicans with the same brush because you only know how to think with your other head? It's time to grow up, son. It's time you grew a pair and learned to take responsibility like a man and stop blaming others for YOUR mistakes. The crying and whining and finger pointing should have stopped after kindergarten. You have a lot to learn about life in general and Dominicans in particular. Too many people on DR1 are in happy and stable relationships with Dominicans and/or have close and lasting friendships with Dominicans. You are insulting a lot of people. So with all due respect, get lost. Good luck in your future endeavours.

Reactions: Shiraz72
Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
This has been posted before... it really depends on who you choose to relate with. That said it is always a good idea to arrange for a prenup when you are unequal in wealth going inot the marriage.

Aug 19, 2004
14 years happily married to a Dominicana. Agree with many of the comments - commonsense suggets, as with anywhere else in the world, good idea to know the person before you get married especially if you have different social/cutural backgrounds