Transportation

dusty

Nov 2, 2010
Can you tell me how to get to Playa las Ballenas Residencia. Can't believe one needs to drive 4 hours from Puerto Plata. Is there not an easier way that will not cost two arms and one leg. Thanks so much.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
quite a bit closer from santo domingo airport if you haven't already purchased your ticket. about 2.5 hrs but still quite a hefty taxi bill, probably $200 or so.

dusty

Nov 2, 2010
Transport

Thanks so much for responding. So there are no smaller planes that fly into this area? Does one rent a car? Is it easy to drive and safe? Since I would be traveling on my own I am a tad concerned. thanks again

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Puerta Plata to Las Terrenas

I live in Las Terrenas and use to fly into Puerta Plata. It will take you a good 31/2 hours. Your best bet is renting a vehicle and driving. Since you are not familiar with the roads you DEFINITELY do not won't to drive at night. If you are looking for a suggestion on a car rental/ www.universalcarrental, which is located in Cabarate about 40 minutes from the airport. You can make prior arrangements for them to meet you at the airport with the car. If there is any way you can change your flight plans you are better off flying into Santo Domingo Las Americas Airport. There are local flights from La Isabela Airport in Santo Domingo to El Portillo Airport in Las Terrenas. El Portillo is about a 10 minute ride to Playa Ballena. Good Luck. You can do it.

S

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
my wife and i stayed at the recidencia 2 years ago if you need any info feel free to pm me. ben

PipsPa

Nov 24, 2010
Hello!

Heading there in January for a week - is it really so far from town?

We're driving from Santo Domingo.

Any tips? Can we walk to restaurants or will one of us have to be the disgruntled designated driver...?

Thanks.

Carl

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Las Ballenas

You are about a 5-7 minute ride from Playa Las Ballenas to the middle of Las Terrenas. You can walk to a number of restaurants,at Pueblo de Los Pescadores
in about 10-15 min. But you will be very happy because the beach is probably one of the most beautiful in the DR and very rarely is it crowded. I live in Las Terrenas and go there everyday. If you need additional info snsheft@gmail.com

S

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
... you will be very happy because the beach is probably one of the most beautiful in the DR and very rarely is it crowded. I live in Las Terrenas and go there everyday.S

I absolutely agree! Playa Las Ballenas is really beautiful! I envy you Steve!