DR Tourism: Still a bargain?

Do you still think of the DR as a vacation bargain?

• Yes, it's the best bargain in the Caribbean.

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Yes, but not as much of a bargain as it used to be.

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Its starting to get pricey.

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • No.

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
On November 2, 2010 a New York Times blog published A Guide to the Caribbean on a Budget in which the Dominican Republic was listed among the bargains destinations.

Do you still think of the DR as a vacation bargain?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Not sure about resorts, since I have never been to one. But so far, I haven't been anywhere in the Caribbean with such affordable rentals (if you do your homework). However, the airfare have gone up, but it is not unique to the DR and it is still very reasonable.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The Dominican Republic is absolutely the best bargain in the region figuring the cost of lodging, food and entertainment. Transportation costs can run a little high as the cost of car rentals is higher than most other popular destinations and driving is certainly more dangerous compared with St. Maarten, Aruba, etc. but their lodging costs are more than double what we pay in the D.R. for equivalent accommodation.

The airfare is just about the same as those other locations mentioned from most Metropolitan US cities despite the fact that it's a shorter flight but it's still not more expensive.

Jamaica is the cheapest destination but then many tourists don't feel comfortable moving about JA island alone, day and night the way that I do so I can't really call it the best bargain. The AI's in Jamaica are more expensive than their Dominican counterparts but hotel rooms and resort stays without the AI is very inexpensive in JA island. Ackee and salt fish for breakfast suits me just fine but it's an aquired taste. Cheapest price is not necessarily the best value.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
I think the DR is a great deal from the Miami/ Ft Laud area.. I'll be in DR Dec 10-14 and my flight was $195.24 roundtrip on spirit. I would say with everything included my total cost for my vacation is around $600. I think Puerto Rico could compete with DR but I don't feel like I'm outside of the US when I go to Puerto Rico. Price wise I feel that drinks food etc is roughly around 3-4 dollars cheaper than in the US. I drink vodka cranberrys; in the US they are around 8 dollars 9 with tip in DR they are 200 pesos so roughly 5 dollars. Food is slightly cheaper. Overall I think DR is an excellent bargain and I will keep going back.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
let us see, shawn. two hundred airfare. four hundred for four days, including accomodations. seems like you have a basic idea of how to live in the DR for a few coins a day.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
let us see, shawn. two hundred airfare. four hundred for four days, including accomodations. seems like you have a basic idea of how to live in the DR for a few coins a day.

And I'm not really being cheap. Hotel is $45 a night, Around $55 daily, flight round off to $200 drinks... Well maybe $650- $700. I still think tht's cheap for four full days...

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
On the pricey side for us Brits now... has been steadily increasing over the last few years and is now becoming a "maybe" rather than a "definite" choice even for the keenest fans of the DR.

Rio

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
with Jetair cutting back flights, it is getting to be amongst the more expensive holidays. On top of this the (not deserved) bad rep it is getting, is not helping tourism...

it is the way it is...