saving the coral reefs

May 29, 2006
Direct damage to the reefs is minor compared to the effects of agriculture and other issues involving costal management.

A healthy reef has very little algae growing on the corals. Mollusks, fish and lobsters eat the algae as it grows and the coral can get the light it needs for its symbiotic food source. But too much nitrogen and suspended solids tip the balance towards the algae and it covers the reefs, eventually killing the coral polyps.

Mangrove destruction also affect the reefs. Dissolved nutrients in fresh water precipitate out when it mixes with salt water in a process called floculation and the physical complexity of the mangrove root system slows the water so that these nurtients can be absorbed in the mud and consumed before reaching the reefs. Many reef species depend on mangrove areas as nurseries.

Reef restoration is now a multi-million dollar business due to organizations such as Reefball. They produce gumdrop-shaped hollow concrete structures ranging from 2' to 6' in diameter and set them where reefs have either been destroyed or an artificial breakwater is wanted. Within a few years of being placed, they are covered with coral and other organisms.

reefpic.jpg

Reef Ball Foundation: Getting Grants For Your Project

Reactions: ben jammin

PuntaCanalove

Apr 11, 2009
Sorry Milos
I am missing your point. Are you arguing that the corals are not at risk? Punta Cana is fortunate to have the Ecological Foundation at the Punta Cana Resort. Few islands have this resource or any regard for the environment. So what is the problem with what you call the promotion?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
DR Coral Reefs

Thanks for sending the link for the CNN INT. report on the coral reefs in Punta Cana. Unfortunately this problem is not confined to the east coast. We have the same problems on the Samana Peninsula and I'm sure all over the DR. I snorkle off Playa Las Ballenas and the reefs look relatively healthy but I do see garbage items on the ocean floor. Garbage is the #1 problem affecting how tourists see the DR and what they relate to others back home as to come here for vacation. 1st impressions are very important and the lack of a consistent policy by the government from Santo Domingo down to the municipalities is evident by observing the amount of garbage that accumulates in very public places. Labor is very cheap. Why not put people to work cleaning up and maintaining these areas. The government has done a better job maintaining the beaches but it should not end there. In Samana, for instance they have a beautiful bay but garbage washes up on certain areas where tourists frequent. Has anyone walked the footbridge the connects the islands in Samana Bay? This is supposed to be an iconic symbol of Samana, however the footbrige is detereorating and there is garbage between islands. The municipality should encourage tourists to explore this attraction but they don't want to spend the time and money it would cost to clean it up and maintain it. They could even have a volunteer day that could put a dent in the problem, but quite frankly the people in government, that have the authority to change things, don't care. All of this relates back to the waterways and oceans which is a very precious commodity in this world. If we can observe major abuses in the dumping of garbage all around this beautiful country, what is going into the ocean that we can't easily see?

S

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the problems for the Reefs are not only just on "Alert" for Punta Cana or Samana or where ever in the Dr, and YES!!!, they are on Alert there, but they are throughout the whole Caribbean.

Milosh,
I know Jake Kheel in Person and really Adore the Man for what He and His Foundation do, and I mean Really DO, for the Natural Preserve of not only the Reefs but the whole Waterbased Environment on the East Coast, including the Sea Turtles, and even a lot further than just that.
did You Guys ever Hear anything about Trash Recycling in Punta Cana and who is the only Company DOING Such?
Think about all the Toneladas of Garbage arriving at the PC Airport on Daily Bases,
just a lil Google Search may enlighten some Minds or at least educate 'em a bit about the very wide variety of activities of the Grupo Punta Cana.
OOhh,
did I mention how many Kiddies and Youngsters of the Area are going to school and "High School" on the Bill of the same Company?

I would sure not forget to mention the PC Foundations Hospital up in Veron, located at the Policia Acostado near the Hospiten, where Everybody young and old get's Free shots etc etc including a Free Toothbrush and Paste oupon the Free Consultation.
If You see a Crazy Lady with some Suitcases there in the waiting Room handing out Pampers and T Shirts or Shoes or Shorts or simple Hugs to waiting Mothers and their Kiddies, You can call Her Tania, also known as My Mrs.
btw, as a lil Side Note, the school right across the Street of the Hospital is Run by the same Foundation.
a little Google Search about their REAL DOING will occupy You for a couple of Weeks just to read through the available Info.
Don't be to quick to "Blame" a big Company for beeing Big,
because once in a Lifetime We Hit into a Company such as Grupo Punta Cana which is doing a hundred Times more for the community per Year than the Gugmint did in all History.
They also make a lot of Profit out of such???
absolutely Correct,
BUT THEY DO Invest a very big part of their profit into the Community,
on Land and on Sea.
what Does the Gubmint on that in Comparison??
or the Big Hotel Chains around in Comparison??
How many Resorts in Punta Cana do You Guys know who do full recycling of ALL their Garbage produced in Tons on Daily Bases and Run a Hospital and sevral schools as a Side Business for the Community Free of Charge??

there Is NO overfishing of our local Coral Reefs in the PC Area, NOAP,
but the very most parts of them are for Lifetime and irreparable bothered/destroyed due much too many Boats/Fuels/Visitors stepping on them etc etc etc.

and the much worse scenario, IMHO the worse Islandwise, is of course Saona Island,
I don't know how many thousand Visitors per week trample on Mother Nature there, brought by Boats of Course, none of the suckers of outfitters ever considered to Use Electric Outboards for such Tours instead of the BS Crappy Powerspeedboats etc.
Saona Island IMHO should be closed for EVERYBODY for at least a 5 Years Time Period, and then Reopened as a Real Natural Park as Parts for the Public/Visitors, to Recover what still can be recovered or rebreathed during the next Decades.
Daily Fuels and Thousands stepping on the little bit of still alive Pieces of Nature there at the Parque del Este, sorry, nothing Good/Nice to see on that from My Side.
I live for most of My own Income from Toursim, YES!.
and I would Love to See that Our Children would still have "something" valuable to show to Tourists in a Decade or 2, it's a close Call 'cause most is gone for many decades, some for hundreds of years, a LOT for Ever anyways.
I know personally only 2!!!!! who really care and DO, in PC it is only 1!!!!!, named Grupo Punta Cana with all it's connected/Run Foundations/Preserves/Programs/Activities.
an other Big One, even not comparable because much smaller, but well worth to name positive, would be the Company Ocean World located in POP on the North, but for that Part my Knowledge is very restricted, at least Only Good heard from that Side.

Who want's to critizise Jake Kheel and the Programs of Grupo Punta Cana here in Punta Cana should firstly take some Years of Self Education, get Real Knowledge about the ongoings and about Who is doing What.
and of course themselves in the very first place doing Better on such Fields.

Yes, the Reefs around the Island are DYING,
along with many other Natural Livings.

everybody can assist on the Turn to better such situations.
HOW???
that's easy as a Starter Kitt for Beginners,
Hand out at the Hospital in Veron firstly just once a week 10 toothbrushes, 10 toothpastes and 5 Used 20 Cents T-Shirts, it costs You just around $5.-US$ and 30 minutes Per Week Per Couple to Do so including Your Transportation to Go there, even Sutrabapu Stops right there when asked for.
I know that the Very Most Expats Living in PC can efford 5 bucks per Week, less than spent on Beers on the Road on Daily Bases for Most,

the Point is:
DO IT!!!!

Rant Over
and I still Feel great in the nice cool Eve Breeze on the Veranda in Cabeza de Toro

Mike

gfractal1

May 9, 2003
the trash, wastewater and mangrove destruction are the worst for the reefs. the trash really gets me though. anyone go down to the water along the malecon in santo domingo recently? it was heartbreaking. piles and piles of stuff on the sand and more just floating in.
people on the island really used to care about keeping it clean and not throwing trash wherever and whenever. someone has happened from the top levels of the government right on down to the average person though.
mantenga la limpieza used to be a big deal. and the government could easily do something about it to make a huge impact.
unfortunately it looks like it's going to take a grass roots effort. something where a very large group of volunteers goes out for a clean up day. and gets as many media outlets involved as possible.
somewhere that makes international news and people see bag after bag after bag of trash lining up along the malecon.

it's shameful and embarrassing not to mention dangerous for wildlife and people in the water.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
correct on the Trash, absolutely, I don't know about the Wastewater on the South/Capital City.
here on the East No Waste Water goes into the Ocean and You will not find the St Dgo trashpiles on the Beaches neither.
Clean Ups with Media involved are done frequently here,
sounds like tha Big Shots in La Capital are a bit behind.
Push 'em

Mike