purchasing phone at airport

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
the wife and i are arriving to SDQ, renting a vehicle and off to las galeras in a couple of weeks and i have a question for those in the know:) i have been told my cellphone will not work in the DR and i would really like to purchase one before arriving in las galeras. can cellphones be purchased at the airport? would this be better than stopping in samana and purchasing one(i am not sure if we will be going through there early enough to find a shop open). thanks for any info/suggestions, ben

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
What time are you arriving? I've never seen phones for sale at the airport, but if you go a few ks out of your way toward Boca Chica when leaving the airport there is a Claro store right on the highway. I don't think there is anything directly on your way to Samana at least til you get to Nagua. (I'm assuming you plan on taking the new highway.)

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
You might want to call your cellular provider and ask them if your phone will work in the DR. My U.S. cell phone (AT&T is my provider) works here, but the cost is quite high per call - as are text messages. I use it here only in the event of an emergency.

As I live nearly year-round, I have a Claro phone for use here, but in the past when I visited for only a couple of weeks at a time, I found it was cheaper to use my US phone for the two phone calls I made.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
the wife and i are arriving to SDQ, renting a vehicle and off to las galeras in a couple of weeks and i have a question for those in the know:) i have been told my cellphone will not work in the DR and i would really like to purchase one before arriving in las galeras. can cellphones be purchased at the airport? would this be better than stopping in samana and purchasing one(i am not sure if we will be going through there early enough to find a shop open). thanks for any info/suggestions, ben

Why won't your phone work here? Unless it is locked, you may be able to get it working as a local phone by going to an Orange or Claro shop. However, it is my understanding that Claro has better coverage at present in Samana.

Keep that in mind if you buy a phone on the way; Claro is probably the best choice for Samana.