The Dilemma of the Newbies

Should newbies have 50 rep points prior to being able to open a new thread?

• Total voters
Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Request for a poll

This board has a lot of influx of new members who start threads on subjects already discussed in extenso. They usually revolve around:

1. Drugs
2. Sextourism
3. Religion
4. Racism

Answers to most of these questions can usually be found when using the search function.

I propose that new members are not allowed to start a new discussion until they have posted a few replies and have earned a few reputation points.

Nals, could you please put up a post with the following choices:

1. I agree, new members must accumulate at least 50 rep points to be able to start new threads

2. I don't agree, new members bring in new points of view and their views are as valuable as anyone else's.

Thank you,

MD

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
I second the motion. Excellent idea. Although to be fair, this site isn't designed in a manner that makes it obvious (or easy) for newcomers to search topics they're interested in discussing. I've been around this site a while now and I still don't find what I'm looking for very easily. I think a redesign is in order.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I can see the point, but the result will be even more off-topic questions in the middle of threads - we're all busy discussing cross-dressing whales in Santiago nightclubs and a first time poster comes in and asks "What's the weather like in Punta Cana in March?"

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Chiri, I can see your point. While I can certainly live with any decision made, I am only 1 board member and would like to see what the opinion of the board is.

Methinks we have had polls regarding less important stuff...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think the idea needs more work. Requiring 50 points before starting any thread is too restrictive. There are times when a new poster joins the board with important questions and should be able to ask them.

The search function is not all that great, especially for somebody new to the board. If the topic to be searched for doesn't have enough letters no search. Then when you do get a list it is obvious from most of the titles that they have nothing to do with what you are interested in.

If I have to choose between the two points of view suggested by the OP, then I am for the second, keeping the board open and welcoming to new posters and their questions.

Reactions: ben jammin

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
How are they going to get 50 rep points if they can't ask a question? If they are newbies looking for answers again who is going to give them rep points if they have nothing to offer in a discussion therefore zip points.

Maybe it should be number of posts not rep points but I will tell you one thing, if it were me and I wanted an answer and couldn't find it through my own search and I can't ask a question which I need to know for tomorrow or next week because I don't have enough rep points I wouldn't bother hanging around waiting.

Hey what is everyone else doing here anyway? Answer the newbie eh ;)

If you want a poll send Nals a PM

Reactions: Celt202

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
giving points is the basis of the rep system
without posts there will be no points

if they can't manouver around the site like most newbies
they will not be able to function and earn any points

i've been using it for over a year now and still can't figure out some things

and as far as requiring a certain number of posts?
can you imagine the crazy posts that would be made just so they can get the points...we get enuf pandemonium in here :)

oh...and after the poll?
it'll go back to the same like it always does
except you forgot one :)

1. Drugs
2. Sextourism
3. Religion
4. Racism
5. Sosua

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
No poll please.

Part of the fun is SPOT THE SOCK.

It's great fun when a sock signs up and people who don't spot it are falling all over themselves responding. :p

Reactions: woofsback

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We are not going to restrict people starting new threads based on post count, reputation or any other criteria.

Newbies need to ask questions. Some will search and find answers, others just post.

That's how it is...

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
DUH
Look at my join date and my rep points. I hardly ever post and rarely start a thread.
We all jping for different reasons. The more the merrier.
I learned to iggy the members who do not appeal to me.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
OH wow I posted 531 times in 8 years and I have 561 rep points. Interesting...cause I never looked at those numbers before.
OH MY I am a true DR1'er now I am hijacking a poll.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Newbies have all types of varieties of questions and I cannot see that in any way they fall into the 1,2,3,4 categories mentioned by the OP.

Isn't is more of the job of Moderators and seasoned posters to try to assist newcomers so they will appreciate the help and come to use the site more frequently and later learn to use the search function more efficiently?

Repetitive questions may be boring and tedious to some but are most likely extremely important to a newbie in my humble opinion and should therefore be encouraged rather than discouraged.