Best Mamajuana?

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
I am off to Texas to visit friends for Thanksgiving and would like to take them something Dominican....

I have seen a bit of this stuff - but would actually like to buy something decent that we might actually be able to drink! - some of it looks quite dubious..

Any recommendations - anything liquor based actually - my friends are all lushes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you buy a bottle filled with the Mamajuana herbs at a mercado, fill it with wine and honey and let it sit for several days. Then empty that out and fill the bottle with your choice of rum.

Unique gift!

My husband says some people add guava berries to the mix, and/or [wait for it!] a turtle's penis, which supposedly turns the mamajuana into an aphrodisiac.;)

TMI??

AE

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
If you buy a bottle filled with the Mamajuana herbs at a mercado, fill it with wine and honey and let it sit for several days. Then empty that out and fill the bottle with your choice of rum.

Unique gift!

My husband says some people add guava berries to the mix, and/or [wait for it!] a turtle's penis, which supposedly turns the mamajuana into an aphrodisiac.;)

TMI??

AE

Thanks - I am looking for something just 'off the shelf' as I don't really have time or resources to concoct my own between now and departure - besides the super is out of turtle penis.

I'm looking for a good brand name which I can find easily - rum or mamajuana...

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I might be wrong, but I seem to remember posts in the past that say that mamajuana is a questionable product for US Customs.

The US Agriculture Department has restrictions on either the twigs themselves or the twig/alcohol combination. I just did a search and located this thread:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-questions/70765-bringing-liquor-back-us.html

If you read post #4 in that thread, you will see what I mean.

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
I might be wrong, but I seem to remember posts in the past that say that mamajuana is a questionable product for US Customs.

The US Agriculture Department has restrictions on either the twigs themselves or the twig/alcohol combination. I just did a search and located this thread:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-questions/70765-bringing-liquor-back-us.html

If you read post #4 in that thread, you will see what I mean.

Maybe rum is the answer then, don't want trouble in US with questionable plant life. I thought you could just buy it complete - without having to mix it yourself?

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
I think I need to find something ready prepared and sealed so it's not questionable through customs - maybe just keep it simple with some good rum, is the Brugal Extra Viejo the best stuff??? I don't drink rum - just vodka.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I agree with La Profe, you might have a hard time bringing anything back from DR especially if it is premade and or just customs/security giving you a hard time and confiscating it from you before flying back to the states. I have seen plenty of people get their bottles of Mama Juana taken from them at the xray machines and once I even say a US Customs and Immigrations officer take a bottle away from someone when they got stateside....
If you dont want to chance it I know I have seen a premixed bottle of mamajuana sold at the duty free shops in the airport. Just buy it there and you should be ok.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Ummmm

I suggest Barcelo Imperial

Don't waste this excellent rum on Mama Juana, Barcelo is an excellent sipping rum to be dumping it into a bottle of mamajuana. Just use a plain bottle of Brugal since it is going to be mixed with all sorts of things....no need to waste/ruin a bottle of Barcelo for this! :cheeky:

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
It was meant to bring the Barcelo as a gift, wouldnt buy a Mamajuana at a store or market, they chop up any kind of wood or roots, you need to get a person you knows whats supposed to be in a Mamajuana, i have one which is 25 years old, and getting better everytime I fill it up with regular brugal and a touch of honey.

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
So Barcelo is superior to Brugal? I'm guessing they both do a Anejo?
I will look out for Mamajuana at the airport store then, I had presumed it was a ready made concoction, not a DIY affair - too fiddly.

Many thanks

Jose1986

Jul 11, 2008
Do not bring them Brugal. Americans do not like drinking gasoline. Get the Barcelo Rum its smooth. Better than Captain Morgan.

Jose1986

Jul 11, 2008
I would either get a bottle of Barcelo Gran Anejo 38 Proof for $8, Barcelo Imperial (38 Proof I think) the Imperial's bottle is cool looking for a gift $12. For some stronger stuff get the Barcelo Platinum 75 proof $16. Serve on ice, with 7 up or coca cola optional.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Ok, my apologies if I misunderstood the usage for the rum. Barcelo is an excellent sipping rum! NOT to be used for mamajuana! HELL NO! I recently tried their Barcelo Imperial white rum and it was MOST EXCELLENT.
regular brugal, honey, wine and whatever you like for mamajuana is good enough! and let that bad boy age! it's a hell of a drink! :)

Jose1986

Jul 11, 2008
forgot to mention when departing at the airport, if you get stopped by customs they always ask you have mamajuama. Not sure why but they prolly tax it or stamp it not sure. Its hilarioius to see the look on the tourists face at customs when they are asked if they have marijuana in their bags.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
forgot to mention when departing at the airport, if you get stopped by customs they always ask you have mamajuama. Not sure why but they prolly tax it or stamp it not sure. Its hilarioius to see the look on the tourists face at customs when they are asked if they have marijuana in their bags.

I think it's the wet/dry rule. I buy the bag, not the bottle. Unsealed booze gets confiscated. Bags of mamajuana roots make a very nice souveneir for people who know what to do with them. Cheap merlot soaked and filled with whatever dark rum is on sale (Mount Gay, Goslings but NEVER Baccardi). Sooo good for the digestion.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Mamajuana

Hi:

Unfortunately because of the contents of Mamajuana they will confiscate this at the airport prior to your departure. Even if you have it packed in your luggage it goes through a check and if found, confiscated.

S

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I think it's the wet/dry rule. I buy the bag, not the bottle. Unsealed booze gets confiscated. Bags of mamajuana roots make a very nice souveneir for people who know what to do with them. Cheap merlot soaked and filled with whatever dark rum is on sale (Mount Gay, Goslings but NEVER Baccardi). Sooo good for the digestion.

Dry Mamajuana gets confiscated since it is considered agriculture, just hide the stuff in your checked luggage and play dumb.