Another killing in Juan Dolio

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Frank are you still living in JD?
These stories are scary. I am so glad i do not live there any more.
Where in JD did he live and what nationality is he?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Frank are you still living in JD?
These stories are scary. I am so glad i do not live there any more.
Where in JD did he live and what nationality is he?

No I don't live in Juan Dolio anymore and in the article it says that he lived in Villas del Mar. His nationality was not mentioned.
Maybe Matilda could shed a light on this?

Jul 4, 2010
The victim was a Dominican citizen, surname Barcel? (of rum dynasty fame). Investigation still going on, however there's police chatter involving the maid in the crime...

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I read the location wrong. Thanks for the info. I am sure Matilda will chime in.
I am glad you got out of JD too.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
As posted in the DR1 news.
Police question 15 in Juan Dolio murder

The authorities have launched a large-scale operation across the Juan Dolio area after two masked men killed a prominent businessman, Juan Miguel Saurino Barcelo, in the early hours of Saturday. Barcelo, 52, was in his house in Juan Dolio at the time, and the criminals also wounded one of his employees. The National Police have questioned 15 people in connection with the crime, while the Scientific Police collected evidence at the scene and officials from the Department of Criminal Investigations began their work.

According to statements from Yudelka Rondon Decena, 32, described in the newspapers as the murder victim's mistress, the hooded men broke into the residence through the rear entrance and demanded to be shown the safe, which the victim refused to do. She said that after the refusal, one of the intruders drew a pistol and shot Barcelo, and then took him into the bedroom and forced him to open the safe, taking an unknown sum of money and several pieces of jewelry. According to one version the injured man was first taken to the De Leon Medical Center where he died before being transferred to the Dr. Antonio Musa Hospital in San Pedro de Macoris for an autopsy. The criminals, after forcing the victim to open the safe, and taking the cash, shot at him and at a household employee, Arelis Silvestre, 46, several more times

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
They made a big mistake. The robber will be found dead soon.
AZB

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
WOW!
That's why I asked the nationality. I can't believe it is one of "the" Barcelo's.
Maybe now JD will get the police attention that they need.
Money talks!
My sympathies to the Barcelo family.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have not much more to add really. He was a customer in my colmado, and as has been said a member of the Barcel? family from Hato Mayor.

Over the past couple of years there have been a number of armed robberies by masked Dominicans in Juan Dolio. Around 8 months ago they were supposed caught and shot, although not fatally. The ones they caught were deportees from the US, living in Consuelo. I have no idea if they are in jail, or if it might be the same ones.

The feeling at the time was that the armed robberies had a military feel about them - the same as carried out an armed robbery at Plaza Brissa Express.

Matilda

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
What's the homicide rate?

The homicide rate in the DR is quite high
List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

higher than the US.. in stats
Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and much higher than in Haiti
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/100877-homicide-rates-worldwide-does-not-seem-right.html

However, I would venture to say that the vast majority of these homicides involve drugs and/or inter family violence

these rates have gone up drastically over the last ten years ... before that, Santo Domingo was known as the safest capital city in the hemisphere.

I have heard many experts attribute this growth to the crack down (excuse this one, please) on the narco trafficing in Haiti after the UN troops came in and the explosion of crack cocaine on this side of the island.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2009
Boca Chica or Juan Dolio?

The homicides in Juan Dolio have me a bit on edge. It feels like a violent crime is committed in Juan Dolio every other week.

For those who live in the area, in reference to violent crime, is Boca Chica safer than Juan Dolio?

-BB :bunny:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
whacking a member of the Barcelo family was not a bright idea. these guys are better off turning themselves in. remember those guys in Santiago who murdered a young college girl for a cellphone, only to find that she was the daughter of a prominient citizen and doctor? it was not too long before the cops kicked off a few doors and had them in the hoosegow. these guys might not get so lucky, since Barcelo money can recruit some serious recriminative firepower.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
not taking anything from the seriousness of the issue
by i am curious as to why there has been so much violence in juan dolio
yet it never gets the same reporting as sosua
they seem to have the same violence rate

now i have never been there but do plan to view it in the future
i was just curious why this area isn't getting the attention that sosua gets
the only thing i can figure out why is because sosua is more known for the sex industry so it adds another ten points to any incident?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Juan Dolio is a totally different kettle of fish to Sosua. It was a thriving seaside tourist resort with 8 active and large all inclusive hotels. The powers that be decided to knock the hotels down apart from 4 ( one of which is closed and one now only Dominican) and replace them with high rise apartment buildings on the beach. This resulted in no tourists and the majority of the apartments have been bought by rich dominicans from the capital, who come at the most for one weekend in four. When they do come they do not go out, hence over half of the shops and bars and restaurants have closed.

The population of the area is also totally different. There are around 80% if not more Haitian. They came for the construction boom, and mostly live in the woods off the main boulevard known as Villas del Mar, the eastern end of town. They live in extremely poor conditions, shacks with no running water, no bathrooms, cooking outside. As the construction has slowed or stopped, the vast majority are out of work, but have no left. In fact the numbers increased post the earthquake.

There are few dominicans, and ever fewer ex patriates. The ex pats are mostly Italian and German, with very few Americans, Canadians and even fewer British. Many have left over recent years, especially those whose livelihood depended on tourism.

There is a large gated community on the main highway opposite Juan Dolio, which is populated by many ex pats and richer Dominicans - many of whom again use their villas as a holiday home.

The police are very active in Juan Dolio - there is a quasi curfew at night, when any Dominicans or Haitians on the street are arrested - for nothing.

There have been violent episodes on and off over the past 5 years. An Italian bar owner was murdered in old Juan Dolio - this looked like a revenge killing, as they held up his bar with sub machine guns the week before, and he was shot in both knees, the stomach and then straight betweeen the eyes. After that I was shot in an attempted burglary - I just got in the way, and then another Italian was beaten to death. The latter was the same man who shot me, again the motive was robbery.

We then had a relatively calm period, followed, as I said earlier by a spate of armed robberies, where there was little violence involved as long as the victims complied with the robbers requests.

Juan Dolio is an easier place to commit crime, as it is right on a very fast autopista, making for an easy getaway to San Pedro or to Boca Chica or the capital.

As to why things do not get reported. That is easy. The developers in Juan Dolio do not want people to know bad news - it is bad for business. They are very large and very powerful, hence nothing gets in the national press, especially involving an ex pat. For example, they refused to publish anything about me when I was shot.

There are several on line local papers who report everything, it does sometimes mysteriously disappear though!

In this latest case an external group are carrying out an investigation, so it may be solved.

Matilda

mikey007

Bronze
Aug 19, 2005
these 2 separate incidents were pre planned, pre mediated, pre arranged , and definitely were not random acts of violence. in the states , they are called inside jobs, i just hope they catch everyone involved and take proper justice.

mikey007

Bronze
Aug 19, 2005
i agree with matilda that the commercial robberies are random acts of violence that require more police presence.